S&W SIGMA Trigger Pull

warrconn

I have a Sigma .40, and don't really understand the trigger criticisms. No big deal to me, or my wife who loves our S&W 442.

Vermonter

let me be more specific

I feel the trigger on my sigma has smoothed over time. I feel like the rest of the firearm shows fewer signs of wear than your average handgun. I would suggest dry firing at the very least. The truth may be that i have adapted to the trigger not the other way around.

Sarge

The best 'mod' for these guns is to pull the sear block and polish the machine marks out of it. There's an instructional article, complete w/useful pics, but I lost the bookmark when a 'puter croaked.

This takes all the grit out of the mechanism and the gun essentially does become a funny-looking 14 shot DA revolver. I've been using an Allied Forces 40VE for a little over a year now and in addition to taking me back to marksmanship basics, it has become my favorite carry gun.

kraigwy

I don't find the trigger on the Sigma objectionable. Of course when I got mine I spent several hours dry firing it.

It's not a Colt Series 70, its a DAO pistol.

I don't find it any worse then any of the Glocks or other DAO pistols.

Then again I'm a revolver shooting.

For a non-safety semi, you don't want a light trigger pull.

But then I'm a revolver shooter.

qqq1

I had come across a thread while searching google some time back that had a phone number to call for s&w to get the trigger fixed up. I don't know if it was a specific number or just their support. Whatever it was, I sent my gun in and it came back with a much lighter trigger. It's still a little grainy feeling but still a lot better. I've seen other suggestions where people take the gun apart, soak the spring in something or other, replace springs, etc. I wouldn't mess with any of those things myself. Just call support, tell them the trigger is very heavy and rough, they should take care of you.

doc540

here ya go:

Call S&W customer service

tell them the trigger is "rough and gritty"

DO NOT tell them it's "stiff".

they'll email prepaid postage

ship the frame to them

about 2 weeks later it will arrive back

trigger will be smooth as buttah...like night and day

it will NOT be "lighter", but much "smoother"

lifetime guarantee on any Sigma

They've done several for me, all the same process

Hardcase

It's a DAO, striker fired pistol. The trigger has to cock the striker, so it's going to be heavy - there's just no way around it. As far as "gritty" goes, well, I did notice that the SW9VE that I used to have did get smoother with time.

It's not a target gun - it's a self defense pistol and that heavy trigger, for a great many people, is a good thing to have in that sort of gun. The heavy trigger is by design - and that's exactly what they'll tell you if you call S&W to complain. If you don't want a DAO gun with a heavy trigger, don't buy a Sigma.

Onward Allusion

chiefr
S&W SIGMA Trigger Pull

Buy a S&W SD. Basically the same gun with a lighter trigger. Note that I did not say better trigger. The trigger's attractiveness is in the eye of the holder. I love the trigger, but I pretty much shoot DAO and revolvers.

BTW, I personally would not do a Bubba trigger job on it. I know there are many who have but I would not, especially if this is a defensive weapon and not a range toy.

BRE346

Sigma trigger pull

The pull is pretty heavy but gets easier as your strength increases. I researched among the Sigma posts and figured that removing a tiny coiled spring would be enough. Smoothing all friction surfaces helps. There is a tiny slot that is difficult (for me) to smooth and you can feel its roughness as you pull the trigger. With practice the gun just gets better and better. I've had no problems with ammo. It shoots like a Glock. We keep it for a house gun.

doc540

Just say it's "rough".

If you tell them it's "heavy" or "stiff" they very well may say it was designed that way and refuse to service it.

IJS