S&W Shield Magazines

captainkaos

My 9mm mags were also nearly impossible to top off by hand.
They do seem to be getting a little easier or maybe I'm just getting used to them.

Stiff mags and having to use a tool to get the slide off are my only complaints about this sweet little pistol.

Although I do prefer using a tool over pulling the trigger like on its ugly cousin the Glock.

TBT

My Shield 9mm magazines were really stiff when new. I don't own a mag loader so I used a flat-head screw driver to finish them off the first time. Let them sit for a day and now it's doable by hand. It's tough, and I might get a loader still, but it's doable now. I'm not real worried about it. The magazines work well as designed. They can be a little tough and I'm okay with it.

salvadore

I bought an uplula on amazon for cheap. Wish I was a manly man like some of the posters, and that guys wife too.

Eod1

I would strip the mag. Take some wet and dry sandpaper 200 grit ,get a ruler trim it down on one end to fit one side the other to fit the other side of mag. And work it if you feed a but. Load the mags and let them sit. Mag warehouse should have mags on sale. If u can load 6 let them sit for like 3 to 5 weeks then change them out with another 6. Just keep working them

B-Shot

I borke down 4 of my 9mm mags and now understand some of the peoples problems, my mag springs varied in length by 3/4 of an inch. I will try to take them apart again and take pictures after my vacation.

claydoctor

After some study, I believe the problem is the follower. When the Maglua is used, the arm depressing the top round applies pressure evenly, front to back, on the top round and the follower beneath it. Conversely, when you attempt to load by hand, the round in your hand only applies pressure to the front of the round beneath it. That uneven pressure causes the follower to tilt just enough to bind it . Somehow, with use, the problem diminishes .

Hal

UpLULA - and, install the Wikibuy plugin to your browser.

I got my UpLULA (the real deal, not a fake import clone) via Wikibuy for a good 10 bucks under what everyone else sold them for - - plus free shipping and no tax!

I hear you loud and clear too! Plus I started a very similar thread to this about a month ago.

The .45 acp Shield magazines are just downright brutal to load. I could only manage to force three rounds in without the UpULULA.

(and - I don't work for UpLULA or Wikibuy - just a very satisfied user of both!)

The UpLULA is the Kreg Pocket hole jig of the gun world - simple, effective and it does exactly what it says it will do!

Nanuk

NEVER soak your magazines in CLP or any other kind of oil. The oil will collect dirt and debris causing malfunctions and could contaminate the cartridges. Use them as is until you can break them in or invest in a magazine loader.

I can't get more than three rounds in the mag designed for six and that was after soaking it with CLP .

claydoctor

I'm at the range as I type this. After loading each of three mags with the Uplula, I just shot all three mags.I can now reload each one by hand at least to about five 45 rounds without difficulty. It has been about 48 hours since I loaded them. I would thing it would have to do with spring compression but for the fact that earlier it was definitely the follower that was stuck. Maybe a little recoil combined with vertical movement polishes the edges of the follower.

claydoctor

More than likely just the stiffness of a new gun. S&W have never required a break in period. Kimber and Kahr are the only ones that require you to spend addition money on ammo to quote "Break Them In"! I say break them in before you sell them on your dime no mine. If it don't work out of the box I don't want it!
The gun works fine. It's the magazines that need breaking in .

Thompson

Had the same trouble with my 9mm Shield. The 7 round magazines are so tough to load because Smith uses the 8 round spring in the 7 round magazine. I disassembled both magazines to figure out why the 7 round magazines were so hard. Same length spring; confirmed with call to S&W.

Was told to keep the 7 round fully loaded for two weeks, Still almost impossible, so like others, my solution was to trim the spring.

Excoastie

I bought an uplula on amazon for cheap. Wish I was a manly man like some of the posters, and that guys wife too.

I did the same thing, though I bought a cheap imitation and it broke after two trips to the range. The replacement that they sent also broke after a few trips. It was s'posedly specific to the Shield 9mm, but I guess I got what I paid for at less than $10.

I currently use an off brand mag loader that I picked up at a gun show awhile back. It's a universal that so far has worked very well. I think I paid $10 for it.

I prefer to go with the philosophy of working smarter, not harder. My mags can be loaded by hand, but they're so much easier to load when using the mag loader.

Exco