S&W Shield Magazines

claydoctor

I love my 9mm Shield so much, I just bought the .45ACP. If I thought the 9mm mags were hard to load, the 45's are worse. I can't get more than three rounds in the mag designed for six and that was after soaking it with CLP . The 9mm mags did loosen up a bit with use and I expect these will do the same but S&W should be required to ship these things with a Maglua loader as standard equipment .

TunnelRat

Work on that hand strength. I like the ProHands exercisers. I use them until I break them, then buy another.

TunnelRat

I have owned a 9mm Shield. I also have a buddy that I go to the range with that has the 45 ACP model. I load it by hand.

TailGator

I would be worried about "soaking" a mag in CLP because of the effect of a lot of oil on the ammo. I actually don't lube my mags with anything, just clean once in a blue moon. If the mags are hard to load because of spring strength, lube shouldn't make much difference. If you think the follower is hanging up badly enough to need lube, you might want to disassemble them and look for burrs and such.

Siggy-06

I had a shield in 9 and 40, never had an issue loading them by hand, even when new. Maybe S&W changed their springs to keep up with demand?

JB60

Some people have no problem loading by hand , I can load 5906 double stack by hand ok but struggle with 9mm Shield Mags. I found burrs and metal shavings in new Shield Mags

TunnelRat

Burrs and shavings will definitely make your life harder. Might be worth inspecting them to see if that's an issue in your case OP.

brian33x51

The last round on my new m&p shield 9mm is definitely PITA to load but possible. Playing piano, classical ukulele/guitar, bass guitar, typing on a computer keyboard like a madman are good ways to build hand strength. Ot just use a mag loader. I don't think I've even ever tried one before.

COLTSFORME

There is no doubt that the .45 Shield mags are hard to load . Not impossible but difficult . That is a factor to consider if your hand strength is an issue due to age or injury .

Nathan

Too easy...try this - LINK

It makes Shield mags a breeze. Now go wipe that CLP out and put a proper light wax coat on them.

joeb1

Loading mags is not a problem. This will handle 380, 9, 40, 45, etc..
6e723586281a5f8dd8d940bceb13d36f.jpg

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

KyJim

I don't own a .45 Shield but have used a Maglula Universal Pistol Magazine Loader for other pistols, both single and double stack, in 9 mm and .45 acp. I highly recommend it even if you don't absolutely need an assist. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...a-pistol-magazine-loader-and-unloader-polymer. I find recommendations to get stronger or train in the martial arts to be unhelpful. Many people either simply are not into that sort of thing or cannot do so because of physical limitations.

TunnelRat

I find recommendations to get stronger or train in the martial arts to be unhelpful. Many people either simply are not into that sort of thing or cannot do so because of physical limitations.

I do 40 reps each hand with a ProHands exerciser each day. I do it while watching tv. There are ways to improve hand strength without becoming a martial arts master. You also don't have to start at the XX Heavy Tension model. Start at one resistance and work up. Now if you're older or have an injury that's another story obviously.

B-Shot

They break in pretty quick i have 6 9mm mags and after loading them about ten times my wife can load them with no problem.

Fishbed77

I find the 9mm Shield mags to be more difficult than average to load. But it's still possible to do it by hand, and the mags work well, so no complaints.