S&W Quality worse than Taurus

Status
Not open for further replies.

totaldla

I really loved my S&W 329pd for the 14rnds it worked. Developed light primer strikes. So off to S&W for who-knows-how-long. And people say Taurus ships crap....

ac700wildcat

Every manufacturer has a gun slip by once in a while that has a problem. You got one of those that slipped by. Smith will take care of you and make you happy. No reason to call them crap after one experience with them.

EdInk

I bought a 442 awhile back and the trigger was horrid. I sent t to
s&w and 2 weeks later it shoots as good as the pre-90's ones I had
in the past.

CRUE CAB

I always look at that sort of thing as "they are machines", they are not perfect every time.
As long as Smith takes care of it, all should be good. Post up how they do.
I am looking at revolvers right now.
Just bought a couple guns in the last few months so it may be a while before I buy. But have had a couple Smiths in the past and always loved them.

SaberOne

There are very few guns being shipped by any manufacturer that matches the quality of the past. This is especially the case with some semi-autos. Never in my life, have I seen so many re-calls and quality control issues. Anyway, I hope your issue gets resolve quickly.

Last edited:

Uncle Buck

I have had to ship a Ruger rifle and Marlin rifle back to the manufacturer for repairs. Never had to ship any of my Ruger, Colt, S&W or Taurus pistols back.

They have worked flawlessly right out of the box. But they are machines and they can develop trouble if not put together correctly. I think you just got one of the bad ones and I am also sure the company will make it right with you. Yes, It bites not having the gun for a few weeks, but when you get it back it should be ready to go.

I only bad mouth the companies when I have to send something back a second time. Good luck to you.

silversimpson

I'm trying not to be disrespectful, but I don't think you should base your opinion of a whole company's product line based on your single bad experience with them. Lot's of people are happy with their S&W products, and the company has a great reputation (recently, at least).

These are the kind of threads that show why the modern shooters are so emotional. Let's try to look at the big picture and not let single incidents get us ticked-off.

I hope when the pistol comes back fixed and shoots well that you will update this thread.

rantingredneck

As long as Smith takes care of it, all should be good. Post up how they do.

This ^ for me is the measure of a company. I've had to send one Ruger and one Smith back for service. In both cases they were returned within a couple of weeks and the problem was completely resolved.

Guns = machines, machines = man made, man = not perfect, ergo machines = not perfect.

18DAI

My measure of the "quality of a company" is that their product works properly, as advertised, without having to return it. No contact with customer service is what I expect.

The 329 is a revolver which is fairly well known for problems. The firing pin is too short. Does S&W claim (yet again) to be unaware of any "issues"? S&W keeps shipping them, and evidently people are buying them. At high prices too, IMO.

The current company calling itself S&W is not the same fine gun manufacturer of yesteryear.

So, I guess it is too much to expect these days that S&W make the guns properly the first time. BTW how do you think S&W's customer service got so good?

I'd take my chances on a new Taurus before I'd give S&W one thin dime. At least the Taurus will go bang out of the box. Regards 18DAI.

johnjohn

I think in the way distant past there was a lot more hand fitting and work involved in manufacturing. People saw problems and corrected them before shipment. It's a lot more automated now and things slip through. Just a fact of life.

Captain38

SaberOne,

You say, "There are very few guns being shipped by any manufacture(r) that matches the quality of the past".

I'm afraid I'd have to agree with you on that!

Hog Hunter

Well i know that taurus has broke me from ever buying another one of there guns, i ordered a rear sight for my 66 over 8 months ago and it still hasnt come in. Ive alreaday sold both of my taurus revolvers for lack of functioning, maybe only had them for a year. Ive had a smith-wesson highway patrolman that my grandpa gave to me some time ago, its over 30 years old and never had one problem out of it, nor have i with my M&P45

crimsondave

I really loved my S&W 329pd for the 14rnds it worked. Developed light primer strikes. So off to S&W for who-knows-how-long. And people say Taurus ships crap....

That sucks, but cheer up. S&W has great customer service. When you get it back, it will likely be one of the smoothest handguns you'll ever have.

ewayte

This is a known issue with the Scandium framed revolvers. My 325 Thunder Ranch had the light primer strike issue and S&W fixed it for free.

S&W started using shorter firing pins in the Scandium revolvers to comply with California drop testing requirements. It turns out the pins are too short to reliably ignite the primers and S&W replaces them with longer ones.

If you want to badmouth someone, badmouth the states that put ridiculous safety requirements in place.

batmann

If everything was perfect, Lexus wouldn't need a service department. S&W will fix it and will do it for free. One question, they were factory rounds and not reloads?

Kreyzhorse

At least S&W will fix their mistakes........

madmag

I can see both sides of the argument, but in the end I come down more on Smith's side. Mainly due to their great customer service.

I have had recent service on my model 36. I made several phone calls and had a real person on line in about one minute. They were very knowledgeable, answered my questions, and sent my pistol back on time with the work (re-finish) completely to my satisfaction....they did a great job.

However; I will agree that it is good to have a gun company run by a gun enthusiast, like when Bill Ruger was alive, as opposed to having a board of directors...bean counters. I hope that Smith understands the need to keep their quality control high. Bottom line for me, I would still buy another Smith today.

BTW, I also own a Smith model 60 that has been great. I guess I should add I just sold my Taurus PT945 semi to fund my purchase of my Glock 36. The Taurus was good for reliability, It was just not accurate...for me anyway.

davlandrum

Chuck Hawks has written they have gone downhill since

A lot of his stuff is good, but he has a real thing about S&W. After all, he is writing his OPINION, which should not be mistaken for fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.