S&W or Ruger?

amprecon

Going to get a revolver for my wife. The criteria are 1) 3" barrel, 2) fixed sights and 3) .38spl only. Prefer the S&W 64 but am considering the SP101. Anybody with experience with these two revolvers is welcome to comment or make suggestions thanks.

CZ_

Shot both.

I prefer the Ruger.

Its personal preference though. You're best served trying both out (rent them), and make the final decision based on what works best for you.

MJRW

I'm a big fan of Ruger. But, you might as well get the .357 model. Just because you can load .357 doesn't mean you have to. But if you get the .38, you can't load .357 no matter how much you may want to. I say SP-101. Just a quick aside, have you given any thought to the .32 magnum? I've been reading very good things about it lately.

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Both are fine revolvers - she needs to evaluate the grips though. That's a major advantage for the S&W - lots of extras. Something else to think about - if she wants to shoot some IDPA, having the extra round in the Smith makes her more competitive.

Kevinch

I bought a used SP101 in .357MAG for my step-daughter to learn to shoot on. I'm happy with it - but I'll admit that the trigger when compared to an old S&W isn't as nice a pull.

Still, I'd probably opt for the Ruger again.

aerod1

She really can't make a bad choice between these two, but I am a die hard Ruger fan. Whatever choice she makes needs to be 100% her choice. My opinions may not work for her and that is OK. Like I said, no bad choices here..

Jim

dairycreek

Both Ruger and S & W are excellent revolvers!

But, even if your intent is to shoot only 38 special selecting a .357 revolver makes a lot of sense. Both S & W and Ruger .357's are much more strongly built. There is a downside from shooting .38 special ammo in a .357. Over time the .38 stuff will tend to build up residue in the .357 cylinder holes. Nothing a good cleaning won't take care of but someting to be aware of anyway. Good shooting:)

bountyh

Check out the "Ladysmith" model by SW. The testers raved about it and said it was too bad SW put the "lady" in the name because it was the best steel snubby the offered in their product line, and guys would be put off by the name.

tomthel

Ruger

How about a 3" fixed sight GP-100? One would have one more round than with the SP. Both the SP/GP being they have the grip stud allow for more flexibility in grip size if one wants to decrease the size of the wood grip.

Tom

Frenchy

IMO, you're not gaining much with the 357 in the 2 to 3" barrel length. I have the 2" 64, and the wife has claimed it as her piece.

Nick96

The Ruger is a better natural pointer IMO, and good heft to tame recoil. Get one in .357, not .38. A S&W may have a lighter trigger pull, maybe not in the newer ones though. The Ruger will be cheaper, so you can invest the differance in a trigger job and grips to suit the shooters hand. The Ruger will be more durable than the S&W frame size for frame size. The S&W is probably prettier - but a little polish and some nice wood grips will take care of that.

Jimmy W.

Ruger

I just fired my friend's SP-101 today. It's a decent piece. The grips were small for me but your wife might find them agreeable. The trigger isn't like the S&W that I am used to, but Rugers are a great value.

106RR

It's important to let her try both. Women have a completely different idea of what suits them. I let one lady friend try different handguns and her favorite was a model 57 4 inch. Go figure!Mike