S&W Model 27?

djcantr

It's been a couple months since I've purchased a new pistol and I need to scratch that itch. I have been wanting a full size revolver that would be more fun to shoot at the range than my S&W 442. I'd like something with less felt recoil than my other small pistols that my gf could feel comfortable shooting but would still be a decent defensive caliber. I figured .357 magnum/.38 special would fit that bill. I haven't shot a full sized revolver in .38 special but I imagine the felt recoil would be much, much lower than my 442. I handled a 6.5" Model 27 and it was a beauty. Haven't been able to handle the 4" barrel version. How does the balance differ between the 4" and 6.5"? What other revolvers should I consider? I like the classic looks of the Model 27.

djcantr:

I shoot a six inch model 27 Smith and I have owned and shot a Smith model 28 four inch. I wish that I still owned the modes 28. Two inches of barrel won't make any difference in recoil; however, the shorter barrel will have more muzzle blast. I don't think that when shooting the shorter barrel that the difference in muzzle blast will be noticeable. I vote for the N frame Smith's for a large revolver.

Semper Fi.

Gunnery sergeant
Clifford L. Hughes
USMC Retired

kraigwy

Kind of depends on what you want to do, if you don't plan on carrying the revolver as in SD, then I would go with the 6,5 inch.

I don't have a 4 inch Model 27 but I do have a 4 inch Model 28 (pretty much the same thing). I do have a 6.5 model 27.

The 6.5 is easier to shoot, but I was in LE, I spent a lot of time setting in the car. The 4 inch was a lot handier.

I did try carrying the 6.5 M27, but that extra 2.5 inches just got in the way.

However, when it comes to shooting I find the M27 much easier, less recoil with the same ammo, and the longer sight radius makes for more accurate shooting.

Best answer is both, but unless you are carrying the revolver as a duty revolver, the 6.5 would be better.

Both are too heavy for a SD revolver in my opinion. Both will take just about any ammo you can get in the cylinder and come back for more.

The Model 27 is about the best, smoothest 357 you can buy. Its a classic, the Model 28 is a working model of the M27.

Scharfschuetzer

For a range and target pistol, it's hard to argue with the advantages of the longer barrel. It should hold a little better for you and the longer sight radius is a help with your accuracy and in my case, aging eyes.

The shorter tubes obviously would make for a better holster gun for out in the woods or desert and good shooting can be done with the shorter tubes too.

I tried a 6" Model 19 in my LE days, and it was just a bit long for comfort when seated in a car. I ended up going back to a 4" S&W for my uniform rig.

I have a 6" Model 28 still, and it is one of my favorie pistols for a fun day out shooting. It's basically the same as that Model 27 other than the finish is not as refined.

djcantr

I don't intend on carrying it. I have a few small pistols that have my concealed carry bases covered (Ultra Carry II, LC9 and S&W 442) so this revolver would be for range fun and a house gun. Thank you all for your input. Guess I should get back in touch with my LGS and have him order it for me. :D

djcantr

OK son, I own a S&W 627 5" and a 327 5"

Not sure I'm wasting my time, but, get a Ruger 3" SP101.

True to word's........

Why? I would think the SP101 would have much more felt recoil than a 27 due to weight differences. Also, only a 5 round cylinder on the SP101. I might look at a SP101 with a short barrel if I were shopping for a carry weapon.

shortwave

My thoughts mirror that of kraigwys .

May be a personal thing(and not wanting to start a brand war) but I also own a 57 and an SP101. Although both fine weapons, for the range, my $ would go towards the 6.5" 57.

SIGSHR

I have a 4" M-27 and a 6" M-28. Not much difference in balance to me, though as someone who pumps iron and is a Life Member of the SNM (Sons of Neanderthal Man) heft and weight are not that much of a problem. I would get the 6.5" barrel, it is a good compromise between the 4"-which is easier to carry-and the 8" barrels which give better velocity but are a little on the awkward side. Proper grips make a BIG difference, I cannot fire fire an S&W
with factory grips, my 4" wears Pachmayrs, my M-28 Herret's

BillCA

How does the balance differ between the 4" and 6.5"? What other revolvers should I consider? I like the classic looks of the Model 27.

The Model 27 is the top-of-the-line S&W .357 revolver. The "budget" version was the Model 28 Highway Patrolman. The Model 28 differed from the M27 by having a less polished finish, lack of checkering on the topstrap, coming with standard Magna (skinny) grips, narrower hammer/trigger and no highlights on the sights. The Model 28 was offered only in 4" and 6" barrels while the M27 could be had with 3.5, 4, 5, 6, 6.5 and 8⅜" barrels with better sights and a smoother action.

The six-inch barrel will dampen the felt .357 recoil quite a bit - about 8-10%.
But the 4-inch is easier to hold at eye level for prolonged periods. Your call.

The model 27/28 are built on the .44-caliber "N" frame which is also home to the Model 25 .45 ACP/.45 Colt, Model 29 .44 Magnum, and others. For the .357 cartridge, it's built like a tank.

In similar guns, the 627 - six or 8 shot versions - is the stainless steel version.
You might look at the L-Frame Model 586/686 (blue/stainless). This gun replaced the lighter K-Frame models and was purpose built for the .357 Magnum. It's not significantly lighter, only slightly less bulky around the cylinder.

I'd jump on a good, clean Model 27 made before 1999 or even pre-1990, without the lock. Even the modern lock-laden versions should be very good for a range/practice/home defense and hunting gun.

trex1310

I personally have never seen a 6-1/2" M27, but would like to. The
4" M27 is pretty scarce. There is no better .357 magnum IMHO.
The M28 is a close second. You can't go wrong with either.

4" M27-2 circa 1979
SW_M27-2_1.jpg

6" M28-2 circa 1982 unfired
SW_M28-2-unf_2.jpg

KyJim

I prefer the balance of the four inch barrel but as others have noted, the longer sight radius of the six inch barrel is nice.

BigJimP

I have model 27's in 4" and 6" ...and they're both nice guns...

If I'm doing some "tactical shooting" and drawing out of a holster...double taps at 15 - 30 feet ...then I prefer the 4" gun .../ if I want to "bulls-eye" practice ..then I like the 6" gun ....

Its not that I can't draw a 6" revolver...but its a little long ...and I need to move my elbow a little higher to clear the typical belt holster that I would use for a "carry situation" ...and moving the elbow that much higher is a little out of the norm ....vs drawing a typical semi-auto ...or a 2 1/2" or 4" revolver... ( although while I like shooting the 4" model 27 N frame ...it isn't something I'm likely to carry ....but its fun to practice with it a little bit ).

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78278&d=1328226262

and I like the N frame mod 27's ...quite a bit more than the K frame model 19'
s or 66's ...but I like them as well...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78275&d=1328225939

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=77426&d=1326326498

black mamba

I have had N-frames in 4, 5, 6, 6.5 and 8.375 inch barrel lengths, and the 5" is the best balance between portability, power and accuracy.

BillCA

You won't get any argument from me, Black Mamba. I learned to shoot on a mil-surp 5-inch Victory Model .38 and found it balanced nicely. The 5-Inch M27 always felt better balanced than the others.

BigJimP - you haven't lived until you've carried a big honkin' N-frame on your hip for 8 hours a day for years. Those are the guys who walk with a weak-side lean on their off-duty hours! :p

djcantr

My LGS has an original 4" M27 in nickel. It's not NIB but he says it's been lightly fired, has walnut grips and the finish is perfect and it looks brand new. I'm going to inspect it this weekend. It seems a little high priced at $950 but I'm certainly not an expert there. What do you guys think?

SIGSHR

$950 seems high to me. I paid $250 for my 4" nickeled M-27 in 1985 FWIW.
On Gunbroker there is a 3.5" pre M-27 listed for $995.00.
A 6" M-28 makes a good substitute for an M-27.

madcratebuilder

The M27 is one of the better selling revolvers on Gunbroker. Look at completed auctions and you'll see about a third of the listed guns sell. Prices range from $650 and up with $700-800 the norm. I bought a LNIB nickle plated 27-3 one year ago for $650, so $950 seems high to me.

CajunBass

I don't have a preference. I just like posting the pictures.

1954 "Pre-27" 357 Magnum, 5" barrel. Soaks up 357 recoil like a Model 10 does Wadcutters.

100_0221.jpg

1978, 27-2, 5" barrel. To tell you truth I've havn't fired this one yet, but I expect it to be about like the other one.

010.jpg

1978 28-2, 4" barrel. This one I've only fired a few round with 38 Special ammo but it is FUN. I have no doubt it would do fine with 357. I've got the box and papers for this one too.

100_0218.jpg

I see people say they find them for a lot less than I paid for them, but I never seem to find them for less than top dollar. I know I wouldn't sell them for what I paid.

It seems a little high priced at $950 but I'm certainly not an expert there. What do you guys think?

When was the last time you saw one like it? When do you think you'll see another one?

Last edited: