S&W model 10

GP100man

Ran across a nickeled model 10-5 ,pencil/pinned barrel .
The nickeled is patinaed a little & is all there , not narry a scratch .

I called it 90-95%, it does have pachmyers on it , no wood originals.

I offered 400, as I`ve only seen a few nickeled.

Too much , not enuff ????

TIA !

GP

bushrat1

Nice find. I think the price is probably about right. Depending on condition, barrel length, finish, and a few other considerations I have seen them go for around $370-$700. Be sure to check the bore, crown, make sure the cylinder is not loose, and lockup is tight.

SaxonPig

IMO $400 would be the upper end. If rejected certainly keep looking rather than offer more.

Please don't say "pencil barrel." Screams "I am a noob who doesn't know proper terminology!" Standard or tapered barrel is correct.

My wife bought me this for my birthday about 7-8 years ago. She paid $177.

standard.jpg

About 2 years ago I added a set of ivory stocks I bagged at a show.

standard.jpg

SaxonPig

It is not. It is a standard barrel or a taper barrel. Use the incorrect and grating term pencil barrel if you must, but you don't look good doing it.

ZVP

My Model 10 is a 4"HB Blued and has some holster wear,
It was lend/Leased to the Brits for the bobbies to use.
My revolver has so many British proof marks and checks stamped all over that it must be perfect! Actually it's tight, accurate and feels like new!
I bought a used Jordan basketweave holster for field carry. the shape intrigued me!
I have a nice Hunter hip holster for it too with a 20 round cartrige belt. Makes a nice field companion!
It took manyyears to land aa model 10 and the wait sure was worth it! What a shooter!
No +P ammo, just straight pressure .38 Specials. Handloads (mid-range) and Factory ammo only!CAS loads shoot at 800fps with 199fp energy/ Lead bullets 158gr. Remington full power factory ammo clocks 800fps with 200fp.
For self defense I shoot Horniday XTP self Defense ammo.
Great guns probablly the benchmark of revolver developement!
Have fun with yours!
BPDave

GP100man

The crowd I hang around calls em pencil barrels , I just started callin em the same thing , had 1 to come with the box & you are correct it`s called STD. Barrel.

Anyways it needs headspace shimms & I did`nt feel like paying that much for it & have to start workin on it before I could fire it.

ZVP

What a beauty!
The Std. BBL looks so gracefull and light! I can see them as easier all-day carry easy!
I admit my 4" HB is a Chunk!
Sure love it tho...

Tortuga12

I'll stop using "pencil barrel" if people with Springfield Armory 1911's stop calling them "Springers". And not a second before! :D

Last edited:

DPris

Member Emeritus
ZVP,
Your description is moderately puzzling.

Lend/Lease was a WWII project, before the heavy barrel was introduced on a Model 10, before the Model 10 itself was introduced.
If WWII, most likely would not have been issued to British police.

Do you have a photo?
Do you know when it was made?
If post-WWII, it wouldn't be Lend/Lease.
Could possibly be Shanghai Police, much later, if it has British proofs & some police provenance.
Denis

SaxonPig

I prefer the tapered barrel of the 357...

standard.jpg

and the 44 Special...

standard.jpg

over the heavy barrel on the 41...

standard.jpg

and 44 Magnums.

standard.jpg

natman

Your description is moderately puzzling.

Lend/Lease was a WWII project, before the heavy barrel was introduced on a Model 10, before the Model 10 itself was introduced.
If WWII, most likely would not have been issued to British police.

Do you have a photo?
Do you know when it was made?
If post-WWII, it wouldn't be Lend/Lease.
Could possibly be Shanghai Police, much later, if it has British proofs & some police provenance.

As you point out, it can't be both a Model 10 and be Lend/Lease. My guess: It's either a M&P that was Lend/Leased or a Model 10 that was sold on the British market and found its way over here.