S&W Model 10 vs Colt Official Police

ir3e971

I have a 1943 Colt OP that is a wonderful pistol. It is an old TVA guard gun, and it can drive tacks.

Also have a Model 13 (close to a model 10) and it is also hard to beat.

Both are honest, well built revolvers, and I think you cant go wrong with either. I would have a hard time choosing between the two, and if forced to I would take the Smith just because of greater parts availability. But then again there is the Colt History. Hmmmm. tough choice.

Para Cassatt

Hi CajunBass,
Were your grips optional, special order or custom? They look a heck of a lot more comfortable than mine and my Pachmayr adapter is worse than the original grip.

housedad

Get the model 10. The ergonomics are better.

The Colt has a draw back cylinder release. The Smith has a easy push with thumb release.

Try it on both, and you will see.

CajunBass

Hi CajunBass,
Were your grips optional, special order or custom? They look a heck of a lot more comfortable than mine and my Pachmayr adapter is worse than the original grip.

No idea. They came on the gun when I found it. I suspect that somewhere along the line either the owner, or a dept armorer put them on. You can't tell it in that picture, but the leading edge has been cut or broken off to make them fit someone's hand better.

I suspect they're optional Colt target grips. The one on the side you can see is worn almost smooth where I can just imagine someone resting his arm for years. The inside one has much sharper checkering and is much darker in color.

Bart Noir

As with many above, I have one of each. And can't really say which I like better.

Colt D frame revolvers are really collector items

That is true, but the Colt Official Police is not a D-Frame model. The D-Frames are the Police Positive Special, Detective Special, Cobra, Agent, Diamondback.

The Official Police is the E-Frame or the I-Frame, depending on when it was built. A bit heavier and stronger than the D-Frame.

Bart Noir