S&W Model 10-7 Nickel 5" Pencil Barrel

WVsig

I came across one today. I keep running into interesting S&Ws. I am not a wheel gun guy at heart but I am starting to like S&Ws.

IIRC the gun is pinned which if my research is correct puts it somewhere around 1979. I can get the serial number tomorrow to really nail down DOB.

I am not a nickel gun guy but this one looked nice and clean. Maybe 95% to my untrained eyes. What intrigued me was the 5" tapered barrel. Seller had correct grips, did not verify if it had matching #s, matching box but no tools or other goodies.

I have not come across one before. What is it worth? Educated me....

Last edited:
Howdy

According to SCSW 10-7 production began in 1977. Gas ring change from yoke to cylinder on tapered barrel. 10-8 also began in 1977 with Gas ring change from yoke to cylinder on heavy barrel. Pinned barrels were discontinued in 1982 and three letter Serial Number prefixes began.

When you take a second look, be sure the hammer and trigger are not nickel plated. S&W never nickel plated hammers or triggers, that is a sure indication of an after market plating job.

lamarw

Some think the Blue Book is notorious for having low values. So take this into consideration with the following estimate. The book indicates around four hundred in the condition you state plus about $12.00 more for a nickel example.

As the other poster stated it is possible it is not a factory original nickel. If it is not originally nickel then the value drops significantly. Along with the hammer and trigger not being nickeled, also look at the markings on the handgun. I would look particularly at the S&W trade mark on the right side plate to see how distinct, clear and deep the marking to help determine if it has or has not been re-nickeled.

Many of us love the Model 10 as just a wonderful shooting revolver. If you can get it for the right price go for it.

Let us know how it goes.

TfflHndn

If you can, look at the roll marks with a magnifier and look at the edges. Often, the roll marking process left slight edge ridges as the metal was displaced. If the gun was refinished, those slight ridges are often polished off smooth. Can be an indication of after-market finish.

WVsig

When you take a second look, be sure the hammer and trigger are not nickel plated. S&W never nickel plated hammers or triggers, that is a sure indication of an after market plating job.

The hammer and trigger are not nickel plated. Box shows that shipped as nickel plated gun. I am 100% positive it is a factory finish. The rollmark is clean and there are no other signs of refinishing.

SaxonPig

Everyone should have a Model 10. I have a nickel 10-7 with a 4" barrel (not as cool as the 5"). S&W did not plate hammers and triggers.

Please stop saying "pencil barrel." Grinding, incorrect terminology. Standard, tapered or lightweight barrel is correct.

WVsig

Please stop saying "pencil barrel." Grinding, incorrect terminology. Standard, tapered or lightweight barrel is correct.

SOOOOOOOOORRRRYYYYY to have offended your sensibilities. :p I clearly stated that I am not a wheel gun guy by trade. I am sooooo glad you corrected me. Not sure where I picked up that term maybe on the S&W forum or maybe it was here http://thefiringline.com/forums/search.php?searchid=8150980 LOL. :eek:

Now back to the regularly schedule program. I am still considering it. Looked at it again to day. It is nice but I am not sure it is my cup of tea. Prefer blued guns over shiny nickel but who knows....

Last edited:

SaxonPig

The sarcasm is really unnecessary. Yes, the incorrect terminology you used is, unfortunately, common. Doesn't mean we shouldn't strive for excellence, no?

I appreciate it when someone offers me good info. Apparently you resort to smart ass commentary. As you wish.

WVsig

Lighten up Francis... I was joking. You are the only one taking this seriously. Everyone else is chill. I mean seriously I changed the offensive term everywhere I could. ;)

Corona

OK...while I'm sure I have used on more than one occasion the dreaded writing implement term, I have to agree 100% with SP that everyone should own a Model 10. Mine is a blued, STANDARD barrel 4" 10-5. Probably dates, I believe, to the late 60s and probably about 98%....I am sure this lovely revolver sat for years in somebody's sock drawer, in all likelyhood inside a sock. Barrel and rifling are bright as the noon day sun and the smoothness of the trigger pull is just glorious.

I have other pistols...SR9c and a 22/45 and an old High Standard R100. I enjoy them all...but nothing has the soul of a S&W Model 10. Nickel or blue, doesn't really matter. In my mind it is the revolver against which all others are judged.

Mine came with so-so Uncle Mike's plastic grips. I have put some real wood - Kuroc's I think - grips on it. Large size. fits my hand wonderfully and they look great.

Joe_Pike

There is a shop I stop by every once in a while and last year he bought a pre-27 that was nickel. I looked at it and told him that I thought it was refinished since it had a nickel hammer and trigger. Well, he got a leter from Mr. Jinks on the gun and was told that that particular gun shipped that way. I told him that it must have been a special order in that case.

WVsig

There is a shop I stop by every once in a while and last year he bought a pre-27 that was nickel. I looked at it and told him that I thought it was refinished since it had a nickel hammer and trigger. Well, he got a leter from Mr. Jinks on the gun and was told that that particular gun shipped that way. I told him that it must have been a special order in that case.

I can believe that but as a general rule nickeled hammer and trigger is a tell as I understand it.

lamarw

I can't say, but just because it was originally nickel plated does not mean it has not been nickel plated a second time. :rolleyes:

WVsig

I can't say, but just because it was originally nickel plated does not mean it has not been nickel plated a second time.

I hear you but the S&W does not look muted. It also does not look too smooth. If I end up getting it I will post pics and you and Saxonpig can tell me I am wrong. LOL

So lets assume that it is original nickel, with original box and grips. 95+% on the finishes 90% on the grips. What is it worth?

$400? $450? $500? $600. This is not my market of expertise so looking for thoughts.

Based on the somewhat low ball Blue book the gun is worth $418. LOL what does TFL think?

lamarw

I would not be of much help. I do hope you are successful. I would enjoy the pictures.

All I can provide you with is the Blue Book price evaluation I stated in my first response. If you like it, I would say pay more than the Blue Book since real world prices seem to be higher. You might want to use it as a negotiation position.

Also see if you can find some comparisons on GunBroker.

If you like it half as much as I like my 10-5 and my M&P Model 1905 4th Change, you will be a happy camper. I call the Model 1905 the "Mamma" to the Model 10. Some might argue it is the "Grand-Ma".

Good luck with it.

John D

I like the term "pencil barrel". And, I like "45 Long Colt". These terms are not technically accurate but I know instantly what you are identifying. Maybe as I age I get less exercised by things....

CajunBass

I like the term "pencil barrel". And, I like "45 Long Colt". These terms are not technically accurate but I know instantly what you are identifying. Maybe as I age I get less exercised by things....

I do too. Those are what are called "colloquial expressions." Maybe not technically correct, but used enough that most people accept them, and everyone knows what they mean. "Ain't ain't right, but I ain't stopped using it. ;)

I don't know about nickel Model 10's but I think the Model 10 is just one of those "everymans" guns. I've got a 10-7 someone spilled something on and ruined the finish. It's the only gun I've ever seen that looks better with Pachmayr grips.