S&W M&P no S&W logo!

Webleymkv

The only hard and fast rule that I've been able to discern about vintage S&W revolvers is that there is no hard and fast rule. I've seen enough pictures of mis-stamped S&W's (wrong model number, wrong caliber stamped on the barrel, etc.) that I wouldn't rule out the possibility that your gun is one in which the logo was omitted by mistake at the factory.

Mine is a bit later than yours, serial 366XXX, but definitely in the same time frame.

It has a small logo on the left side below the thumb latch.

Sevens

Wow, I hadn't even thought to look at the serial number you posted in the original post. For reference, I have my Grandfather's Fourth Change factory lettered -- it's a 357xxx and it was shipped from Smith & Wesson on May 31, 1921.

GaryED50

If I understand S&W history correctly at one point the S&W logo switched sides, and this revolver was produced after that. then the side plate was replaced with one from a earlier revolver leaving the gun with no logo?

Gary

Archie

Small logo on Port side

Another M&P 6 in revolver in blue. Serial # 448,XXX; according to my ID book, a 'Third Model .38 Hand Ejector (M&P Model 1905) Fourth Change.' My best guess puts manufacture date in the late 1920s.

No 'big' logo on side plate, but a small logo under the cylinder release on port side. Single legend of 'MADE IN U.S.A.' on right side of frame, forward.

Mr. DeShivs, I don't see any legend on the forward right side frame of your revolver. Am I just not seeing it?

Looks like thumb print on side plate of my revolver, but I can't make out any ridge detail. Something mildly corrosive, obviously.

Attachments

• 6 in M&P logo port side.JPG
    6 in M&P logo port side.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 14
  • 6 in M&P right front frame.JPG
    6 in M&P right front frame.JPG
    153.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 6 in M&P side plate.JPG
    6 in M&P side plate.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 11

Bill DeShivs

There is no logo on the frame, and there is no "Made in USA" on the frame. The sideplate has not been replaced. The markings have not been removed-they just never were put there.

The logo on your gun should be on the left side under the thumblatch. It should be a small logo.

If it's not there, and there's no evidence of it ever being there, then it's a factory non-mark is my guess. Uncommon, but not unheard of.

I don't believe that Made in the United States was put on S&Ws until sometime in the mid to late 1920s (same with Marcas Registradas), after the problem with Spanish imports became severe.

James K

Member In Memoriam
312xxx would date to late 1919 to early 1920. The absence of the logo would be quite common in that era.

FWIW, when S&W hit 999999, their numbering machine ran out of room and they began using the "V" prefix; they were reportedly going to use "A", but some genius suggested "V for Victory" and the Victory Model was born.

Jim