S&W M&P no S&W logo!

Bill DeShivs

Just acquired a 4th model M&P SN 3125XX, 6" bbl., blued.
The gun has NOT been refinished, and there is no S&W logo stamped on the frame.
Is this unusual? All the pictures I have seen have the logo.
Thanks,
Bill DeShivs

James K

Member In Memoriam
The logo was moved at different times and sometimes there was none at all, so a missing logo does not mean the gun is not an S&W. And, of course, the logo is sometimes removed in refinishing the gun. We would appreciate good pictures.

Jim

Bill DeShivs

James,
Thank you. I can assure you the gun has not been refinished.
And, it's not a Spanish copy. Sheesh!
I'll try to take some pics soon.

SaxonPig

I'm curious as to how you are so certain refinishing isn't a possibility? Experts have been fooled on occasion.

Bill DeShivs

Here are some quick pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_3055.JPG
    IMG_3055.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_3057.JPG
    IMG_3057.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3058.JPG
    IMG_3058.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 126

Ibmikey

Bill, Serial numbers reached 1,000,000 on 4-24-42....then after the war the series began with S 811820, March 1948 reached two million and began with a C prefix. Nov 1967 the third million was reached and Serial prefix changed to D
Should give an approximate build date of yours.
Oops! Missed the S/N you posted...duh!

Midlandgunner

Could it have been on the side plate, and it was replaced by an older side plate that was blank? The M&P I have has the logo on the left hand side and nothing on the side plate.

bedbugbilly

Bill - I don't know much about it but I sure wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers~ :D I like it! But then, what's not to like about the M & P? Let us know how it shoots. :)

Bill DeShivs

It's a .38 Special. The side plate doesn't appear to have been replaced. Gun sat in a drawer at a local junkyard for years. Internally, it's perfect and I doubt it has been shot more than a dozen times.

gyvel

Presumably you will know if the sideplate has been replaced if and when you take it off for cleaning. I believe they were numbered to the guns, no?

I have an M&P from roughly the same time frame. I'm trying to remember if it has a logo, but I don't believe that it does. I'll try to remember to get it out of the safe this evening.

Sevens

I'm just here for the comedy...

PSSSST: Bill...

that rough looking gold-colored and dirty little circle at the top of old dirty wooden panels on each side of the revolver... Those are S&W logos! :D

(yeah, I know... but sad reality is that Roughedge made the best joke in post#11 and I couldn't top it...)

My last shot:
The gun has NOT been refinished
...let's hope you FIX that! ;)