S&W J-frame Debacle Follow Up

Dragline45

Thank's for the followup. Wasn't aware you needed to remove the mainspring prior to removing the side plate, I mean I guess you don't have to remove it but once that clips in the hole it will just about fall out on it's own anyway. It makes alot of sense since you have to take tension off of the larger framed models with the strain screw. I was following the instructions from the Apex Tactical video posted on youtube, which apparently is not the correct way to do so. Might have to send them a message to let them know.

Last edited:

jrothWA

Are we talking about the rebound stud, that the

rebound spring presses against, just above the trigger?

Thought that was a pressed in part?

Have to check my schematics.

MLeake

Is it different on the 442? You can't access its hammer without removing the sideplate, yet I have not damaged 442s when removing sideplates. So, is this part reinforced in the 442, as compared to the 637?

fastbolt

If it was the hammer or rebound slide frame stud, last I heard (in my revolver armorer class) the newer ones are press fit. They can be replaced, unless the frame has been damaged, and an alloy frame might be more easily damaged than a steel frame. Fortunately, it's quite uncommon to come across a damaged one (unless someone's been tinkering inside, or may have used the wrong rebound slide spring which put excessive pressure against the slide's stud, etc).

I currently own 7 J-frames, 5 of which have alloy frames (Airweights and a pair of M&P 340's with Scandium aluminum frames).

The 2 steel frame guns (649 & 36) date from the 80's and the rest are from more recent production. The older production 649 needed the attention of our former revolver armorer in order to get it to function when it was NIB, but that was from a general time period when S&W could be a bit of a hit or miss affair in QC.

Since the only realistic & practical way to become skilled with a 5-shot snub .38 Spl/.357 is to train & practice with it, that means most of mine have seen a fair amount of use.

The least used has been a 37-2 DAO, which only sees standard pressure loads fired in it, and which I only bought because I'd always wanted to own a M37. The factory DAO variation (bobbed hammer) seemed like a nice one to pick up. It has the pre-Magnum frame and metallurgy, and after some discussions with the factory I'm only using standard pressure loads when I use it. I'd rather not risk cracking the frame under the barrel, as may sometimes happen in some of the older alloy guns with hot loads. Why punish a nicely done older style Airweight, anyway?

I'm trying my best to wear out at least one of the 642-1's and the first of the M&P 340's (from the first production run, with the ILS/lock), though, and the older steel guns are still in great condition and spec. ;)

I've always wanted one of the +P rated 638's, myself. My older 649 has been a fine snub over the years (since being repaired), but it's heavier than my Airweights and heavier than I'd prefer for a pocket holstered gun. (Although not as heavy as my 3" Heavy barrel M36, or my SP101 DAO.) I think the alloy +P rated version of the 638 would be nice to add to the collection as a counter point to the 649 ... even though I prefer DA/DAO trigger modes for practical training/practice and usage. The SA is nice for occasional slow-fire target/precision shots while practicing at longer distances, to keep the basic skillset from rusting away.

FWIW, as a revolver armorer who sees a fair number of J-frames brought through our range as off-duty & secondary/backup weapons, it's mostly the older style (pre-MIM) guns that have been brought to me for repair or correction. Aside from cleaning out some really grungy newer style snubs (cops carry them where they gather a lot of debris, or else are less-than-charitable in their cleaning practices ;) ), the new style MIM guns have been giving some pretty good service.

As a matter of fact, one of our guys just brought me a nice nickel M36 from the middle 80's with a problem. The cylinder stopped turning. Broken hand torsion spring. I didn't find the loose broken end until after I'd removed all the excess goo in the frame. :)

Enjoy the 638 when it arrives.

FWIW, it's not a necessarily a bad idea to own a second copy of a favorite handgun, especially one that may be carried as a dedicated defensive weapon, if you can afford it.

For one thing, it helps make having one repaired less of an inconvenience.

For another, if one is ever taken into evidence/property after being used in a shooting incident, it may be out of your possession for some time and the second one might be handy.

Lastly, some folks who buy 2 of their favorite (or commonly used) handguns may like to keep one for heavy range/training use, and one that's "lesser used" for carry. Personally, when I've bought "duplicates" of handguns, I've generally just used the extra ones to share the wear & tear of my frequent shooting.

FrankenMauser

Get a Ruger SP101. End of problemo.
Not really.
The lightest .38 Special or .357 Mag SP101 weighs 25 ounces, and has a longer barrel.
The heaviest weight listed for S&W's aluminum .38 and .357 J frames with the 1-7/8" barrel is 16 ounces. (Most are 14 oz or 15 oz.)

Going to the SP101 from a 16 ounce J frame adds 62% more weight.
Going to the SP101 from a 14 oz J frame adds 86% more weight.
That is significant.

James K

Member In Memoriam
For Ruger fans, "get a Ruger" is the answer to all problems and all questions. Except when maybe it isn't.

Jim

MLeake

I have both an SP101 and a 442. They really serve different purposes, and with the grips I have on the SP101 it is not pocket suitable - but it is very comfortable with short barrel magnum loads.

The 442 is my gun for when I need one that just disappears with PT gear, etc.

rodfac

Shadi, Sorry to hear of your problems with a 637. I too, had problems with a new 637: it wouldn't allow cylinder rotation after four rounds had been fired. A call to S&W resulted in a FEDEX shipping label in two days, the gun was fixed and back in my hands in a week...and good to go. They'd replaced the hand, cylinder and trigger...and coincidentally, done some smoothing on all of the above resulting in a really sweet DA pull.

All that said, I agree that S&W seems to be having some QC problems, and allowing their superb customer service to sort out the real from the imagined. It's a good company, but this is an issue I wish they'd get a grip on.

We have two 637's in the family, and both are in daily use as CC weapons. Both have had extensive use to ensure reliability, and we trust them to their intended purpose.

Just some personal thoughts ... Rod

18DAI

The current company calling itself S&W has great customer service due to all the practice they get.

Do all new S&W handguns come with a return shipping label? How about a coupon for Apex aftermarket parts?

I'm a big fan of pre 2001 S&W handguns. I currently own 52. Buy the Ruger SP101. You will be glad you did. Ruger is currently the only company making a revolver with everything you need and nothing you don't. Good luck! Regards 18DAI