S&W governor yeah or nah?

Blue Grass

Those revolver/shotgun things are kind of like those Mare's Leg lever rifle cutoff whatever they are things.:confused::confused::confused: If you want one, get it. I just don't know what they're for.

Colt46

They are considered sawn off shotguns in my state

I'm of the opinion that they can function as both a handgun and shotgun, but neither function will they accomplish well.
If you have a bug to get one, then, get one.

Cheapshooter

I just don't know what they're for.
Ah, post #14 maybe?
Plus #11,and #14
I did research and the 000 buck is best, been watching gel penatration videos today. 14-17 inch deep
2 quick pulls of the trigger sending EIGHT, 36 caliber projectiles 14"-17" into the boiler room of a bad guy will most likely stop him no matter how determined he is!
Same thing with handful of 7 1/2 lead shot at a sneaky Copperhead that has plans on ruining your mushroom, or berry gathering day.
Of course, then there is just the fun of shredding pop cans, milk jugs, and odd mixed other targets.
Not to mention the good accuracy I have found with 45 Colt rounds.
Gimmick, or Taurus hate? My bet the latter. Had S&W introduced the Governor first, it would have been proclaimed as an amazing innovation in the firearms industry!
I'm of the opinion that they can function as both a handgun and shotgun, but neither function will they accomplish well
They don't really function as a shotgun in the hunting, and shotgun sports sense, but they do perform quite well at what they were intended to do. Just search through the actual, real life accounts of people who own, and shoot them! Not the speculation of those who don't.:D

Or maybe these two well informed reviews.
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=yNVXuspaJtE
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ZDMDd4eAQO0

Last edited:

HoneyDutch

My buddy has one and it is a lot of fun, but not very practical. If you have the funds, I say get it. If you don't like it, you can always sell it.

Wreck-n-Crew

If you want it, get it. Why worry about what anyone here thinks? It's not a life altering decision.

If you don't like it, sell it for whatever you can get for it and forget about it.
Ditto. Especially since reliability is not the issue. I remember when the 44 Magnum came out. Some loved it and some thought it was a showboat gun. To me it is all about fun with all the flavors of cool aid...not just one.;)

haymaker

The Governor is a hoot to shoot. Loaded with .410 shot shells I use it to shoot woodpeckers boring holes in my eves. It puts a .45 bullet downrange as well as any of my other revolvers or autos. It's not as well balanced as a more traditional revolver but it's not a bad choice and it's very versatile.

Guv

Although I don't have one I can see lots of use for such a versatile gun. As a side arm around the ranch, farm or hunting side arm, I think it could be very useful. The buckshot loads should be pretty effective in a SD situation, I would think. Will it shoot 45AutoRim also?

haymaker

I don't know about 45AutoRim but the Governor will shoot .45 Schofield and .45 Gap along with .45acp and .45colt.

last

I was about to buy one for "survival" situations then I decided it was better spend money on a Ruger SP101 in 22 LR, excellent range and utility revolver.
I wouldn't buy a Judge/Governor, especially at the ridiculous price they sell them. my two cents :)