S&W governor yeah or nah?

9mm

tempted to buy one for a range toy, but the other part of me says save it for 1000 round case of ammo. :confused:

Do not suggest Taurus, I have felt many at the gun shows and they all feel cheap, I am not kidding. The only Taurus I am buying next is the 992 (22lr/22mag) I wouldnt buy any high caliber revolver from them.

jasmith85

If you just want it for range use I say buy it if you would enjoy it. I doubt it would be all that useful for anything else though.

Cheapshooter

I can't answer to the Governor, but I do have a Taurus Judge. Great shooter, and lots of fun. In addition, the 45/410 revolver has proven itself to me to be much more than a range toy.
If you didn't care for the feel of the Taurus, I understand. I will however say that my Public Defender Poly doesn't feel "cheap". Not anymore than my Ruger LCR anyway. It feels even better with the Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips I added.
My vote, for what it's worth, get the Gov, and have some fun. You will most likely be surprised how good it actually is for more than just blowing stuff up at the range.:D

BOBA FETT

when it comes to taurus stick with the small caliber guns like 22 revolvers and the like...there is a reason why they dont chamber guns in 500 and 480 anymore...they still have the 454 casull but i would never trust a taurus pushing that much pressure... as for the governor i had one and it was fun but i sold it because money is better...

9mm

Nah, but I can/would recommend a nice S&W Model 25 Mountain Gun in .45 Colt.
not interested :=| those ammo prices are killer.

I like the Governor because its 3 calibers, mainly .410 being cheap, and a plinkster gun at the range.

I did also look at the poly judge I know $300 cheaper,I have an LCR know that grip/frame material feeling. I just rather go all in on a S&W. Every judge I felt (NON POLY) at gun shows felt a bit loose. Maybe a poly would be tighter??

How many rounds have you shot thru your Judge?

when it comes to taurus stick with the small caliber guns like 22 revolvers and the like...there is a reason why they dont chamber guns in 500 and 480 anymore...they still have the 454 casull but i would never trust a taurus pushing that much pressure... as for the governor i had one and it was fun but i sold it because money is better...

Yeah, thats why I want the 992 22lr/22mag, but rather have the Governor first lol... Those lock ups on Taurus scare me on the big caliber... I felt many Judges/m85 lock ups and they are sloopy, smith is nice n tight. Just check for yourself at any gun show, theres 200+ taurus revolvers lol

**I believe thats why they dont allow video/cameras at gun shows!! ;)

Last edited:

9mm

and if I do buy a judge, it would be the raging magnum. Just for lol's and beefer frame

Cheapshooter

How many rounds have you shot thru your Judge?
Just a guess, but somewhere around 200 Coyboy 45Colt, 40, or 50 45 Colt JHP. Winchester PDX1. 50 or so 410 buckshot, and probably 50 410 birdshot, or more correctly snakeshot.
Certainly not as tight as my low round count circa 1972 S&W Model 10, but as tight as my Ruger LCR.
Accuracy with 45 Colt is well within what is needed for SD, Federal 000 Buckshot holds a nice "group" I would call it because with one pull of the trigger there are 4 holes in about a 3" group pretty much point of aim @ 10 yards. 3 pulls, 12 holes all center mass. With 45 Colt the group is even better.

There is no reason that the S&W Governor wouldn't do as well.
And for twice the price you get one more round!:D

Rifled bore makes a sorry pattern.
Nope, not in my experience with Federal Handgun 000 buckshot as mentioned above. The other myth is shallow rifling leads to poor 45 Colt accuracy. Again, not in my experience.
Now birdshot, no, I'm not going to try my PD Poly for upland game. But @10' or so, #7 1/2 shot provides a pattern that will really ruin a Copperhead's day!

Last edited:

9mm

^ I did research and the 000 buck is best, been watching gel penatration videos today. 14-17 inch deep. I am not looking to carry this, just as a new toy at the range.

I am trying to find people with 500-1000 rounds put through it. Everyone seems to have a low round count..

Snyper

I'm not sure why you're asking since you obviously want it no matter what anyone else thinks

I wouldn't want one unless it was free

Everyone seems to have a low round count..
I think the novelty wears off quickly once folks realize they aren't good for much

Cheapshooter

I am not looking to carry this, just as a new toy at the range.

Poly serves two self defense rolls for me in addition to range fun.
1. Truck gun for defense against a potential carjacker. It rides in a nylon holster from Wallyworld made for a Crosman airsoft pistol. the holster fits the gun perfectly, and velcro straps on the holster hold it between the drivers seat, and console. It's loaded with the first two rounds up
federal Handgun 000 Buck. Followed by three Winchester PDX1 225 gr. 45 Colt rounds in case Mr. up close, and personal has a pal a little further away.
2. No legged snakes rather than the two legged snakes mentioned above. The pattern of 7 1/2 shot at 10 to 15 feet is plenty dense to end a threat from a poisonous serpent.

CajunBass

If you want it, get it. Why worry about what anyone here thinks? It's not a life altering decision.

If you don't like it, sell it for whatever you can get for it and forget about it.

tallball

I have had my Judge for several years, have shot hundreds of rounds through it, and have had no malfunctions. It would be awesome if it also shot 45acp.

So yeah, buy that thing if you want it - great snake gun, great for making stuff like old pumpkins blow up, fun to shoot, and could do SD duty if needed.

haymaker

I have a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Convertible. I bought the Governor to have a DA revolver that would shoot both .45Colt and .45acp. With the Scandium frame I can't shoot really hot loads with it but it will handle any factory loads.

Some .45acp ammo doesn't headspace right in the Blackhawk cylinder but they work great in the Governor. It's a nice alternative. Sometimes I go hiking with it and I like the quick reloads with the moonclips. .45colt ammo is a pleasure to shoot no matter what gun you use.

dakota1911

I have really looked at them. I was also thinking more range toy. I like the idea of 410, 45LC, and 45 ACP with moon clips. Now I understand they use the same moonclips as the S&W 625, which would be great as I have a 625 and a 325PD. For the boonies not good because they will not handle really hot 45LC loads which is why I still pack my Ruger Blackhawk, and 45LC shotshells work on snakes. Maybe not as good as some 410, but they work.