S&W fans- your favorite .22 rimfire Smith?

orionengnr

I had a 6" M-17 (1955), then I bought a 4" M-18 and sold the M-17. All my other revolvers are 4" so the M-18 is a better training tool.

I've seen some decent ones for sale locally and (lucky you) the Dallas Market Hall Gun Show is this weekend.

I almost bought a "spare" M-18 for $375 a couple shows ago. I walked around a bit to decide if I really needed another, and when I came back it was gone. Moral: if you find a good one, snap it up.

22-rimfire

No safety, huh? Okay. My choice and recommendation would be a Smth Model 18 which has a 4" barrel. The Model 34 is smaller and might be a consideration, but I'm guessing he would be more comfortable with something a tad larger for use at home or out plinking with you. The 6" Model 17 (K-22) is often the most recommended really good 22 revolver these days.

The new 617's are real nice revolvers and highly recommended. They have the lock. Tisk Tisk.

Don't forget Colt. A 4" Colt Diamondback would be perfect!!! It is my favorite 22. Expensive these days however. They were expensive when they were in production too (relatively speaking or just a tad more than Smith). But they can be found pretty easily at gunshows with the big price tag of course. Another one to consider is the Colt Trooper Mark III with a 4" barrel. It has a pretty large frame and is a real shooter. It will be less $ than the Diamondback in price, but larger and heavier. The old model Colt Trooper would be great too. They are 4" revolvers and made between 1953 and 1962. Excellent revolver!! Colt also made the Official Police in 22 and a number of other 22 revolvers. For some reason, I'm thinking 4" is about right for your Dad.

pesta2

K22 Masterpiece

The first handgun I ever fired.

attachment.php

absolute0

Firstly, you're a good son!

Most adult males will find a K frame like a 17, 18 or stainless 617 much more pleasing to hold and shoot than one of the J frame models. Careful shopping will find plenty of model 17's in the $400 dollar range. There is no finer .22 revolver IMHO and they are gems to be treasured.

B.N.Real

Hands down,617 revolver.

Nothing New comes close.

But it starts new at close to $700.

The cheapest I've seen used in a gun store was $550 and I am still kicking myself for not spending that money.

Well,that credit.

Tells you why I did'nt get it.

dogtown tom

eeenie, meeniem minee, mo......

I appreciate all your suggestions, especially those who posted pics.

I'm glad you guys helped me narrow my list down to no less than eight different models.:D

Let's see:
Model 17, 18, K22, 34, 48, 63, 317 and a 617.

Quite likely the only person who will shoot this gun will be me, right before I give it to him. I could easily hand him my Model 49 or Detective Special, but he specificaly mentioned a .22 revolver. Dad could have made it easy on me by asking for a .22 semi automatic- I have several Colt Huntsman/Woodsmans that are reliable as can be. But, fifty seven years ago in Korea he saw a 1911 jam and hasn't trusted automatics since.

After witnessing the crowds at the last three Dallas/Ft Worth gunshows I was going to pass on Market Hall. I guess I have a reason to go now.:D

22-rimfire

I think you'll do just fine. Hope you find what you are looking for. Since you own Coilts, I won't bring that you again as you already know.

skeeter1

"+1 on that Model 63."

I'll second that. I have an older model 35 22/32 target, but they're almost impossible to find, and very expensive. Model 63 would be my first choice today. Don't fret about the internal lock. People like to rag-on about it, but it's really no big deal. I had one on my model 66, and it was a non-issue.

Stainz

The current 617s, 4" & 6" 10-shooters, are MSRP $837. Mine, a 4"-er bought new in September, was $609 + s/t. I am not picky about the Infernal Lock... good thing, as over half of my revolvers, some from '02 and all S&W now, have them - and it's never been a problem. The K-frame 617 still has the K/L/N frame lockwork - easy to break in and improve, although I wouldn't go lower in hammer spring than a full strength Wolff hammer spring. I did replace my strain screw with a socket-headed SS #8-32x.5" allen screw (2/$.56 at Home Depot) and some blue Loctite - adjusted to reliable ignition plus a 1/4 turn CW. Also, I obtained an unfinished Ahrends retro-target grip in cocobolo and gave it a few coats of a homebrew oil finish. Here is my new goodie, along with my 696 sporting Ahrends non-fg-ed cocobolo square conversion grips, for comparison:

IMG_0951.jpg

I turned sixty last summer. I wish I hadn't waited so long to buy this revolver - it is a real blast. I've had everything from 7.62 Nagant to .454 Casull - never a DA-capable .22LR - and my SA .22LR, a Ruger Single Six, was a short termer. No, it won't lay over a large rebounding steel plate. It will knock over the smaller bowling pin rebounders - if you hit them high enough - or fast enough, ie, a couple of shots in a row. Feel how you want re the IL, but I can't imagine ever having a problem with it and my 617. Certainly, it hasn't been a problem in my .44s & .45s.

Stainz