S&W CS shutdown?

m&p45acp10+1

Sounds like they are probably training CSRs. Usualy when they upgrade computer equipment, and/or phones/communication equipment they shut down to train everyone at once. Due to the fact that they usualy have to pay a contractor to come in to train people it is cheaper to shut down and train everyone at once. As well as they usualy have the work for the upgrades in progress while they have the training going on.

Also some places to prevent being short people when tye go on vacation will have a time when the whole place closes and everyone goes on vacation. Was a common practice in the oil fields, and mines for years.

8shot357

To clarify, I am not complaining about S&W, I am simply asking if this is something they advertised, or just a long-standing thing of which I was unaware.

Did you look on there site. Maybe they should have called Fox News and made them tell the World.

I'm sure it was announced somewhere.

Noreaster

They are in the process of taking over the Law Enforcement Market and trying to enter the next military purchase for a 45 acp pistol. Add the purchase of Thompson Center and they are very very busy. I wouldn't be surprised if they took a civilian vacation to try and catch up with government purchases. I've heard good things about their customer service.

Sgt01

Someone from S&W's repair department must still be working. Just received an email from them stating that my 442 was shipped back to me yesterday (8/9/11).
Not bad, took 1 week. I was told 2 to 3 weeks in the letter they sent. I'm impressed. With that said, I can't imagine how they fixed the frame, but I suppose I'll find out tomorrow.

Sgt01

Well, it looks like S&W still has some repair people working. Got my 442 back yesterday. Gone for a total of 11 days, seven of them at the plant.
I'm totally impressed. They repaired my worn cylinder lug and replaced a couple of buggered screws on the side plate. No charge. It amazes me that they could actually repair the cylinder lug since it's molded to the frame. Looks like it did when it was new. Great customer service!

Last edited:

MLeake

8shot357, I have checked the website. I've seen nothing about a CS shutdown. Only reason I found out about it was that I called in.

Given that I've recently purchased some new S&Ws, and am eligible for their retired military rebate - which IS advertised heavily on the site - I do think it would have been nice if there were a statement on the website front page. I don't think it's anything for Fox news, but do think it would be a good thing for their CS and PR people to post in an obvious manner. Some of us aren't aware of August shutdowns.

Thanks for the sarcasm, though.

And BTW, I have ten S&W handguns at last count, in large part because I am normally very impressed with their CS, and have been quite happy with the QC on my guns.

rodfac

My experience with S&W's service policy goes back over 40 yrs; and I've had nothing but great service from them...most currently, two revolvers in the last year. Neither cost me a penny in labor, or shipping. The guy on the other end of the phone line couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.

If they get a two week break for vacation, in the summer...what's the rub...we all need a break...and it's to their credit that they're still doing LEO's and military.

Rod

Last edited:

MLeake

I can't tell if people are deliberately missing my point, or if I am just not clear.

I have no problem with S&W CS taking a two week break. Good for them. Everybody needs vacation time (although, rodfac, since you mentioned the military, non-training command units typically only allow 10% on leave during normal times, and 50% for authorized holiday periods - although units may take holidays off except for skeleton crews). If they need two weeks for factory maintenance, that's also fine.

My question was very simple: Do they announce this anywhere, or do people just know about it?

My follow-up would be: Shouldn't they post this someplace obvious on the website front page? While I don't have a problem with it, per se, it is sort of a big deal. In this case, I'm awaiting parts that I had wanted for a trip tomorrow, for a MAG-40 shooting class, but was unable to follow up with CS on why they have not arrived. Had I known they would take the first two weeks of August off, I'd have pinged CS about the parts failing to arrive several days earlier, instead of letting it go until the first week of August.

Or, in other words, I was being patient because I'm used to first-rate CS from S&W, but it turns out my patience means I won't have the parts prior to my flight out of town.

Had they posted this on the website, I would have known to hit them up in late July, even though the parts were only a few days late at that point.

Was that clear enough?

rodfac

Mleake...didn't mean to twist your tail in my response...I've ordered parts, had service estimates, and general questions done on the phone to S&W over the years, but never did it on line. In the process, I always asked when I could expect the delivery and their response was never overly optimistic...ie. the delivery was always quicker than what they'd estimated. If you ordered on the phone and they didn't advise you of the shutdown, something was amiss for sure. And, yep...they should also have posted it on line, on the customer service part of the menu. Rod