S&W barrel alignment question.

RDak

Good luck!!

However, maybe I'm not understanding the problem?

Edited, I was confused with Maxx's original post.

Last edited:
"For decades, Colt adjusted the windage on their fixed sight revolvers by turning the barrel to cant the front sight in the direction needed. Oddly, I cant recall anyone complaining, but then maybe folks were less demanding than they are today."

Sad commentary on Colt's design/quality that they had to do that?

RDak

You're right Mike, the more I think about it.

Maxx wants the front sight moved more to the right by turning the barrel to the right. That would make his shots hit more to the left than he was shooting.

I know I'm new but, I think a few of you are missing the point. He wants his gun fixed....regardless of the problem. What I don't understand is why he's getting the run around from S&W. I had great customer service and there is another thread exclaiming how great S&W is for servicing what they sell. What gives?

TEDDY

sight

yrs ago I heard that they hit the frame with a mallet on side to adjust the windage and on top to adjust hight.sounds reasonable,but what do I know.

Maxx

You're right Mike, the more I think about it.

Maxx wants the front sight moved more to the right by turning the barrel to the right. That would make his shots hit more to the left than he was shooting.

No
Maxx is seeking to have the ribbed barrel lined up correctly with the frame, not canted clockwise.

Where did you get that???

Maxx

I know I'm new but, I think a few of you are missing the point. He wants his gun fixed....regardless of the problem. What I don't understand is why he's getting the run around from S&W. I had great customer service and there is another thread exclaiming how great S&W is for servicing what they sell. What gives?

Thank you.
I'm still working on it. :confused:

RDak

No
Maxx is seeking to have the ribbed barrel lined up correctly with the frame, not canted clockwise.

Where did you get that???

I understand. Mike was just stating what Colt used to do according to what I've heard also from other people.

But I realize you want the ribbed barrel lined up properly. So does Mike.

I misinterpreted what you were saying in the original post, then realized that, by looking from the muzzle end, the twisting of the barrel would be opposite from what I was thinking. Mike's post made me reread what you actually wrote and I realized I was not understanding it properly the first time I read it. I just had a brain fart.

Good luck with the fix!

Maxx

I'm confused. In one post you said you got the gun back and later you said you were debating on having them send it back. Did you send the gun back again with the pics and the details? If they have the gun, I think you should play a little hard ball. Try to go up the ladder. Call and ask to talk to a quality control supervisor or a warranty supervisor. Let them know you are considering taking your business to Ruger or somewhere else....shoot, tell them about the forum. There are a few members here that are interested in how this turns out. We're in some rough economic times for sure and maybe they don't want to admit there is a non-repairable problem with your firearm and hand you over a new one (like they did for me). I hope this turns out for you, I don't want to lose faith in S&W.

Jeff

Maxx

I understand. Mike was just stating what Colt used to do according to what I've heard also from other people.

But I realize you want the ribbed barrel lined up properly. So does Mike.

I misinterpreted what you were saying in the original post, then realized that, by looking from the muzzle end, the twisting of the barrel would be opposite from what I was thinking. Mike's post made me reread what you actually wrote and I realized I was not understanding it properly the first time I read it. I just had a brain fart.

Good luck with the fix!

No problem.
I suppose I get worked up when I think about the fact this is turning out to be so much more complicated than it should be.

I'm confused. In one post you said you got the gun back and later you said you were debating on having them send it back. Did you send the gun back again with the pics and the details? If they have the gun, I think you should play a little hard ball. Try to go up the ladder. Call and ask to talk to a quality control supervisor or a warranty supervisor. Let them know you are considering taking your business to Ruger or somewhere else....shoot, tell them about the forum. There are a few members here that are interested in how this turns out. We're in some rough economic times for sure and maybe they don't want to admit there is a non-repairable problem with your firearm and hand you over a new one (like they did for me). I hope this turns out for you, I don't want to lose faith in S&W.

I sent it back a second time w/ pics and detailed explainations just to make sure everyone is on the same page.
I'm awaiting a resolution, so I'm just waiting to see what happens.

GunConvert

Rooting for you!

Maxx,

Hope everything works out. It has been very informing to me as a new S&W owner (as of today actually :)) to read this thread. I feel your pain. I had to fight with Taurus customer service over a semi-auto that I had purchased and had to send in for repair which is exactly why I traded up for a S&W today.

Aparently this has not been a problem for you but it still caught my eye; the fact that S&W still offered to take care of you (or try at least) even being without the warranty card which was absent when you purchased your Smith.

Just an aside: The counter guy (a young man) at the store where I traded my Taurus PT111 pro for a Smith 642 wondered aloud why I'd trade a 12-round weapon for a 5-round weapn...this asnwer is easy for me: I'd rather have 5 rounds that I KNOW will go bang rather then losing sleep over 12 that might not...

Good luck to you Sir. I look forward to hearing that S&W was able to help you after all.