S&W ASP 9mm: Dated curiosity or serious carry gun?

TheMongoose

The right price

Thanks Egor,

If I found the right price I might sell it though- but I would have to think that over.

I will post pictures though for sure.

BlueTrain

I never thought the finish mattered all that much once it got its first scratch.

For a different reason I was looking at S&W's website yesterday and it doesn't look like there's any raw material there to make a custom gun anymore. They do still have a couple of very nice old fashioned target automatics, however. Colt still looks promising.

Wuchak

I'd retire it to the safe and think of it as a solid investment at this point. If something breaks it might not be fixable and I suspect those grips are impossible to come by. Nothing wrong with preserving a piece of history. If you had a mint 1963 Corvette would you use it as a daily commuting vehicle? Or would you keep it in the garage and take it out for a drive only on sunny days?

There are way too many other options out there for daily carry abuse for far less money.

Dave6

I had one back in the 80s when I was a sheriff's deputy, and I really liked it with the exception of the sight. During a stakeout of a liquor store I realized that I couldn't guarantee hits at more than contact distance, so I ended up trading it for an HK P7M8, which I still have. Had I known someone who could have installed traditional sights, I'd have done that.
That said, it was a great little pistol, and I wish I could have kept it, especially considering what they go for now. Ken Null still makes holsters for them, and you can't do much better than his gear.
I'd recommend using Plast-X from Meguiar's (the car wax company) on the clear window of the grips, both inside and outside. It should take out minor scratches, and protect against future ones.
You might look into Robar's finsish Roguard as an equivalent of the black Teflon, if you need refinishing.
If anyone is interested, I still have, and might sell, the ASP magnetic double mag belt pouch, as well as the ASP "man-purse" and the zippered gun rug, both with the ASP heartbeat logos....

Brit

Dug this up

Back in the 80s (No concept on remembering dates, my Daughter neither) I visited a Holster maker in Buffalo, Allessi. He has since passed on.

Lou Allessi had an ASP in his safe, like new, it was gorgeous! There was not a rough spot on it anywhere, Lou asked if I would like to fire it? YES! said I.

A "Bullet proof curtain" was hung up, door locked, I think it was a Saturday.

I fired 3 rounds of hard ball. Perfect. Curtain rolled up, and stored, then the Sun came out! Three little streams of Sunlight, in a neat little group, streaming through the metal clad back door.

Twenty yards across the back parking lot, a mobile office, belonged to a road repair outfit, and yes, 3 through and through on it, woods beyond that.

Real lucky no one was around, it was a Sat: mind.

TxFlyFish

Its been well over 30 years since ASP was introduced, resulting in a frenzy of CCW 9mm designs. Bring it against today's "state of the art" CCW platforms, namely the beretta nano and the walther PPS, it still holds its own. Its only outdated because of lack of parts and as another older post noted, it does not make the gun any less effective. I am testing compact 9mm platforms (many of them no longer made but are still highly regarded) and I can tell you the ASP's ergos and concealability still makes a top contender if still offered today.

(OR in all honesty a different perspective: there hasn't been much change in firearms design)

C0untZer0

I passed on the ASP in the 80s in favor of the HK P7M8, and I'd still pass on it today in favor of the P7, but the ASP is not so old that's it's an antique that's going to blow apart if you fire it.

TxFlyFish

The USPc and PPS are being put thru the paces, theres one more that I am concerned about and thats the P99c. I am a bit embarrassed to admit that at this point one of the top 3 compacts is not very "manly". It is a S&W however.:eek: