S&W ASP 9mm: Dated curiosity or serious carry gun?

Murdock

Thirty years on, is there anybody who regularly carries and uses the ASP? Should it be a safe queen as its collector value rises, or does it have practical value compared to the generations of carry guns that have evolved since Paris Theodore produced his innovative modification of the S&W Model 39?

DSCN0341.jpg

armoredman

If you can use it well, go for it. Always wanted one of those as a collector, but I don't believe in guns you don't shoot!

Wildalaska

It deserves to be carried.....

Seriously Murdoch folks rely (allegedly) on such firearms gems as Tauri and Bersi you think an ASP won't do the job?

WildilovethemAlaska TM

44 AMP

Staff
Since 9mm ammo is even better now than it was then...

How could it be any less effective and efficient that it was when new? I got a chance to handle one once, and it was a very nice feeling gun for the size, but that particular one had a gap between the top of the grip and the frame, and it could kind of pinch sometimes, so I wasn't crazy about it. Probably should have bought it when I had the chance, but .....oh,well....

SDC

I'd love one, but I probably couldn't bring myself to shoot it, and I'd spend my time gazing at it ("The Precious is MINE, ALL MINE!").

ninnoichi

The ASP 9mm

I'd like to preface this with the statement that I own two ASP 9mm pistols (the standard Wisconsin model) and I adore them. I look forward to the opportunity to add a Quest for Excellence model at some point; but that remains for the future at this point.

When I bought them, I regularly carried either one or the other of them. I find they still define what I look for in a smooth handling firearm. My standard load was the Federal Nyclad 124gr, since it would shoot to the same point of aim as 125 plain vanilla lead reloads, the Marshall study showed good stopping ability for the 124gr Nyclad, and the standard pressure load was less stressful for the alloy frame.

Aside from the cost and difficulty obtaining replacement parts, the only real contraindication for carrying an ASP is a claim I heard (which I have not verified) that when the S&W M39-2 was cut down to create the ASP, the hard anodising was not replaced on the alloy frame prior to the application of the Teflon-S finish. If this claim is true, then there is some weakening of the frame. For reference, the claims were made by a gentleman purporting to be the proprietor of Bulman Gunleather, in case you would care to investigate this allegation yourselves.

That being said, I still love the ASP and would love to obtain the intellectual property rights to the design; but I have failed to discover who owns it.

Murdock

It is my understanding that Ken Null, the leather crafter who made the original leather goods for the ASP, owns much of the intellectual property of Seventrees. Whether this extends beyond the leather goods to include the ASP pistol I don't know.

18DAI

If I could afford one, you bet I'd be carring an ASP! Actually, I wish I could afford the double mag pouch, with magnets to hold the mags in, that Seventrees made for the ASP!

Superbly thought out pistol, IMO. I carry it's descendant, the S&W 3913. Stake my life on that pistol. Reliable, concealeable, and accurate. Regards 18DAI.

jrothWA

In makinf the ASP..

the bottom of frame was cut to reduce heigth the frame rails I believe were never cut. The slide was reduced at the front and a spherical ball bearing was used to make the new bushing, front sight was lost and replaced with the tapered gutter sight,e.g.: wide @ rear narrowing to front.

The ASP was a "faint dream" of mine to own, especially working & living in NE Ohio when Devel, Corp., was operating.
I CPL the 39-2, what a delight.

shurshot

Real Thing!

The gun looked even better in person at the Biddeford Gun show this past weekend. A classic carry gun (and a keeper), to be sure!

Murdock

Thanks, Shurshot for the compliments and for stopping by at the show. Glad you enjoyed seeing the ASP. A handful of people (usually with grey in their hair) stopped by who actually knew what an ASP is, one or two were actually owners, and a couple had some interesting bits of info that I did not know about the guns. For instance, that there were buffalo horn grips made for them.

Would anybody have a photo of an ASP with buffalo horn grips?

eastbank

i had one years ago and liked it,but i was offered a hugh profit to sell it and i did. i now have a S&W 3913 and i like it just as well, maybe a little better. eastbank.

Murdock

Eastbank, having carried and used both, which features of your 3919 do you like better than those of the ASP?

One of the stories in the ASP legend is that Paris Theodore went to S&W with an ASP to try to interest them in his ideas, and they brushed him off, only to use his basic concepts later. Many see the 3913 and 3914 as concrete examples of that. I'd be interested to hear what you think about your 3913, and why you like it (aside from the much more reasonable price! :D)

KyJim

As far as carrying it and shooting it, I'll paraphrase what I've seen posted here before:

An unfired gun is like being married to a beautiful woman and never making love to her.

Murdock

An unfired gun is like being married to a beautiful woman and never making love to her.

One of the other interesting things about the ASP is that there is supposed to be no such thing as an unfired one. Reportedly, all were function fired up to a few hundred rounds apiece to ensure total reliability before they left the shop.

Besides, there was no way I wasn't going to check out that funky Guttersnipe sighting arrangement. :D