S&W 6906 or Glock 19

lsufan1971

It depends on what's the purpose. If it's to carry and shoot I choose the 19. Just for the fact that it's a currently produced gun with easily accessible parts and accessories.

lyodbraun

Yea I would also pick the G19, the S&W is a great gun and one of the few that were made well , Im still trying to find one to add to my collection I had one back in the day and sold it, wish I would have kept it, now its hard to find the 6906 or the 4506....

oldandslow

gs, 8/31/12

I have both the G-19 and the SW 6906/4 platforms as well as a number of other pistols. I like the SW best- for me it carries easier and I like the DA/SA trigger. Nothing wrong with the G-19 though. My daughter has requested the Glock (as well as my Ruger SP-101-2" revolver) for herself now that she's of legal age. No problems letting them go for a good cause. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Webleymkv

I'd prefer the S&W. While the Glock is a good enough gun, the S&W 3rd Generation autos have better triggers and feel more natural in the hand IMHO.

Mrgunsngear

Glock 19 without hesitation. The S&W is a great gun but the G19 is the most popular gun in America for a reason---it's simple and works.

Coach Z

I'd get the glock for the sole reason of availability of parts mags etc. I've got a couple uncommon guns in my collection and it stinks to have to pay $50 or more just for a mag!

JJW

I have the 6906. Have had it since it came out. There is just something about Glocks that are not comfortable to me. I do not own one.

TunnelRat

The S&W is a great gun but the G19 is the most popular gun in America for a reason---it's simple and works.

While I would also generally recommend the G19, the idea that somehow a S&W 6906 is neither simple nor works is pretty darn ridiculous to me.

fast20

i agree with JJW... ive had a 6904 pretty much since they came out... probably the best shooter in my collection... dont personally know about the glock... ive looked at them and they are just not comfortable to me...

Mrgunsngear

While I would also generally recommend the G19, the idea that somehow a S&W 6906 is neither simple nor works is pretty darn ridiculous to me.

I agree. I don't think I inferred it wasn't either of those things. But, now that I'm thinking about it, the Glock's trigger system is simpler than the 6906 so it may get a slight edge in that category. Both are great guns here though, I'm not trying to suggest otherwise.

Last edited:

mitchntx

now its hard to find the 6906 or the 4506....

I saw 8 or 10 6906s at the Ft. Worth Gun show this past weekend. All priced at $329 IIRC and I think the vendor was Bachman Pawn and Guns in Dallas. I bought one several months ago.

They were all police trades.

And I saw a nice 4506 at a different table and purchased it, not really knowing too much about it, other than it was a near pristine example of a Smith 3G semi.

pgdion

It would be the 6906 for me. The 3rd gen Smiths are way nice guns. I have a 5906 police trade now and it's been great. I want to add a lighter 69xx to the collection (something I could actually carry too).

carguychris

Food for thought...

The G19 wins on weight; Glock's website says 21oz unloaded and 30oz loaded, although the latter weight will depend on what load you're using. The M6906 weighs 26oz loaded and probably ~33oz loaded; I don't have one and can't find a loaded weight spec. Remember that one of the major advantages of modern tactical plastic is lighter weight than all-metal pistols of roughly equal capacity, even those with alloy frames like the M6906.

Despite the lower weight, the G19 will probably have lower felt recoil- although this is somewhat subjective- and will definitely have less muzzle flip. S&W TDA pistols have high bore axes and categorically don't do well on muzzle flip.

The G19 wins on mag capacity AND availability- 15rd vs. 12rd, and Glock mags are available everywhere for cheap (one day I expect to see them in blister packs next to a gas station cash register). ;) Some inexpensive 69-series mags are floating around, but they're still nowhere near as plentiful as Glock mags. The M6906 will accept 15rd 59-series mags, but they will protrude beneath the grip frame and negate the pistol's size advantage.

If you're looking at particular pistols, early-production M6906s had a vertical-blade rear sight has less sight radius and fewer replacement options than the later Novak sights, and had a squared-off trigger guard that causes issues with holster fitment; as with other 3rd-gen Smith pistols, round trigger guard pistols will fit in square trigger guard holsters but often not the reverse, so it's generally easier to find holsters for the rounded guard. Myself and other TDA owners have found that this factor isn't always reflected in holster maker's catalogs. :(

One issue with holster fitment for CCW with a M6906 may be the decocker/safety levers. I sometimes carry a M3904 and have had issues with the lever digging into my side if the holster doesn't cant the pistol slightly away from my body or incorporate a guard flap to protect the lever.

All that being said, I would get the M6906 because S&W 3rd-gen pistols just make me happy. :D

dgludwig

It depends on what's the purpose. If it's to carry and shoot I choose the 19.

If the purpose is to "carry and shoot", I opt for the Model 6906.

the S&W is a great gun and one of the few that were made well

I'm not sure what is meant by this, but in over fifty years of shooting S&W handguns I have found almost all of them to have been very well-made. Furthermore, when it comes to Smith's sadly discontinued line of Third Generation pistols (which, of course, includes the Model 6906), of the many I own and of the very many that I've shot over the years, I've never encountered one that was anything less than very well-made.

Concerning the Model 6906, after my agency switched from revolvers to semi-automatic pistols, I carried it for almost twelve years before retiring. Of the thousands of cheap agency reloads that were run through my Model 6906 during our bi-annual qualification regimens, I never experienced a single malfunction. I can't say the same for a couple of officers that I knew who carried the Glock Models 17 and 19 (I'm emphatically not saying that Glocks aren't great pistols; just reporting my individual experiences).

I suppose one of the reasons I prefer the Model 6906 (and its Third Generation brethern) is because my training makes it the pistol I am most familiar with. My training also might explain why I much prefer the "traditional" double-action trigger configuration. Though I have found the Model 6906 easy to handle, plenty accurate enough and very well-built, the biggest reason I carry it even now as a "civilian", is its record of extreme reliability.