S&W 686/586 Cylinder counterboring

Sevens

When I get home, I'll check to see which model 17 I have. Mine is recessed... I don't think it's pinned, either.

Here's a related question--anyone remember the recall in the late 80s on the 586s? It involved cylinder binding... did it also include the 686s? Does anyone remember the gist of the recall, what caused it, what fixed it, etc?

This could be related.

Yes, the recall around 1987 included all 581/681s and 586/686s.

As for the 686's and counterbored chambers, I've heard that either Lew Horton, RSR or Camfour contracted for a run of 686s that did have counterbored chambers. I have never seen one, so I don't know.

woodsltc

Sevens asked:Here's a related question--anyone remember the recall in the late 80s on the 586s? It involved cylinder binding... did it also include the 686s? Does anyone remember the gist of the recall, what caused it, what fixed it, etc?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Short answer is yes, it did include the 686 and 586. Only the early L-frames (586/686 no dash & 586/686-1's) were involved. S&W used a batch of firing pin bushings that were too short. Recoil from hot loads ( such as 125 grain loads) would push the bushing deeper into the frame, eventually causing the cartridge primers to back out and catch in the bushing hole in the frame. This prevented the cylinder from rotating -- and the gun could not be fired. S&W will still make this correction on the "no dash & -1" L-frames for free and they will pay the shipping. Any early L-frame that has already been repaired has a "M" stamp in the crane. :)

Don

Sevens

Okay, my model 17 is a 6-inch, with target trigger, target hammer and adjustable sights. It's a 17-6, and it has recessed chambers and the barrel is not pinned. Unless, of course, I can't correctly identify a "pinned" or "non-pinned" S&W barrel! BEB26xx.

The 686 is a 6-inch with adjustable sights (but not the adjustable front sight), has the orange insert in the front sight, smooth combat trigger and a decent sized hammer, though not quite as wide as the target hammer on the model 17. It's a 686-3. However, there is no "M" on the crane or on the frame where the crane closes. There is a 3-digit number there, different from the serial number, but no "M". BBJ69xx.

Both were bought new in the late 1980s.

woodsltc

Only the early L-frames (586/686 no dash & 586/686-1's) were involved.

Sevens, your 686-3 was not part of the recall and thus would not have been returned for the bushing to be replaced. ONLY the ones returned to S&W for the recall had the "M" stamped into the crane. ONLY the "no dash" and "dash 1" 586's and 686's were recalled. So, your 686-3 would not have been returned to S&W for the corrected bushing and thus would not have the "M" stamped into the crane.

Also, your model 17 is a K-frame and has the recessed cylinder ONLY because it is a "rimfire". All pinned barrels in the K-frames, J-frames, and N-frames ended in 1982.
Your Model 17-6 was made between 1989 and 1994 --- long after S&W stopped using pinned barrels on the K-frame Model 17's.

Hope this helps you. :)

Don

Last edited: