S&W 500 magnum grip

buck460XVR

I shoot 20 rounds a year because they cost a fortune and I rarely have time to go shooting, I work on guns, mostly guts, and was just double checking before I forked out 80 bucks, but apperently I can't ask a simple question without someone being an ass. I mean for Christs sakes it was just supposed to be a simple question

My first response was direct and polite. It wasn't until after you already got your attitude and told two other different members to "get over it" that my reply went south. Remember, you reap what you sow.

Do you know what a Paradox is? It's like saying you can't afford to pay for more than 20 rounds of ammo for a gun in a year, but then in the same sentence are ready to put $80 on a pair of grips that don't really belong on it. I'm thinking that and other similar statements, along with the poor grammar, lack of punctuation and appropriate capitalization in your posts makes folks leery of your authenticity. Get over it.

nanewt02

fair enough, my apologies buck, but hey, everyone has there taste and i say the grips will look good on my gun and thats all that matters. bickering aside, thae compensator was really messed up, i finally got the damn barrel off last night, and in a few weeks il have no use for the barrel removal tool i made, if for some reason anyone wants it just PM me.

I think the manner in which S&W chose to mount the interchangeable compensator in was not a good design. When I had the four inch model, the first thing I did was turn the lock screw the wrong way, thinking I was tightening it, and I had a loose compensator. I'm glad I didn't strip the screw. There HAS to be a better way to mount the darn thing. Why doe it have to rotate in the slot? A squared up comp slot would at least keep it from turning.

nanewt02

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 116

bigboredad

Dude relax it's your gun what others think doesn't matter build your gun the way you want. I'm also a recoil junkie I'd love a 4 inch smith .500 a good friend of.mine has one that I cast a 465gr bullet for and with a max load of h110 we got 1275fps and the bullets played follow the leader very nicely and I giggle every time he let's me pull the trigger. The .480 is the biggest I have for now

nanewt02

I'm looking In to the 630 grain hollowpoints, I read about them awhile back but no idea where to get them or the mold

bigboredad

Mihec is one maker I believer he has a couple molds Available with 600gr HP's not sure of is web addy but if you Google him you should find him

CurlyQ.Howard

"250 pounds of recoil" If this is in fact the true recoil figure, I'd be worried. Seriously worried, and I am not kidding. Best of luck.

nanewt02

250 with a full load,
i wont be going ANYWHERE near that to start off with

ordered some grips today, hopefully they wont take forever shipping

I've fired a 440gr gas check lead at 800 fps, and that is not brutal, but is getting my attention with the snubnose. You can shoot 630 grainers if you want, but even at 600-700fps, you are going to pay.

BoogieMan

I say crank it up. As long as your within safe limits of the gun than whats the worst that could happen? Bruised palm? I dont know how any of these people smack themselves in the head with a handgun. Scope eye with a weatherby or h&h mag is much more of a concern. If the load is to much to handle comfortably you can always take your skirt off, hang it in the closet and back the load down until its comfortable.

CurlyQ.Howard

nanewt02, I'm glad you posted those recoil figures. Now, when I get lazy exercising, I'll think about those recoil numbers and know that I've got to get back to business!

dayman

It's been a few years since I took dynamics, but I do remember that there's a difference in force (measured in lbs) and mass (measured in lbs for every-day use, but usually measured in "slugs" for the purposes of physics). A force of 250lbs would not feel like a 250 weight pushing against you.
This is one of the reasons that the metric system is so vastly superior the the English-standard system. Newtons and kilograms are less ambiguous.

The English standard Gravity constant is 32.2ft/s^2, so a mass of 250lbs yields a force of ~8000lbs. Therefor, working backwards, a force of 250lbs, would yield a mass of less than 10lbs. So it's not as if you'd have anything approaching 250lbs of mass coming back into your shoulder. Again, the English standard system is really really dumb.
The average person can punch with ~600-900lbs of force, so a rifle recoiling with 250lbs of force is definitely going to sting, but it's not at all as strong as it seems, and is well within the realm of possibility.
(you've just been fizziksed)

As far as the revolver goes, do whatever floats your boat. Polished SS and ivory(or synthetic) is a nice looking combination. Worst case scenario you have a fantastic barbeque gun, and can throw on the rubber grips for the range.
Post pictures when you're done.

nanewt02

According to my math it will be more recoil than the 577 trex, but you're probably right, although posting all the physics at such an early hour makes my brain hurt :D btw, what do You mean by a barbecue gun, are you saying that I can cook food with the muzzle flash :rolleyes:
Anyway, nothing is more frustrating when you order a product from a website where it's out of stock and doesn't say so, and they have no idea when it will be back in, so I found better grips elsewhere, at have the price! Those other people had better give me my money back

nanewt02

Also daymen, the target weight of the rifle is ten pounds if that helps any, I need to start using the metric system

dayman

BBQ gun: a fancy "dress up" conversation piece gun, appropriate to going to barbeques.
In you're case though, you probably could cook over the flash.

It would be more complicated than I care to do to figure out the exact perceived "weight" coming back into your shoulder. I was just pointing out - to all the people that seemed to think it was insanely high - that 250lbs of force does not equate to 250lbs of weight.
I imagine, like most big rifles, you'll feel a definite kick. But it's not as if you're going to be dropkicked in the shoulder by a 250lb man.

Last edited: