S&W 500 magnum grip

nanewt02

I think the hard grips will have more of an effect on recoil than the compensator, recoil doesn't bother me, even rapid shooting the 500 grains, but the main reason to take the compensator off is because I like the classic look of the underlug squared off with the barrel

nanewt02

Lol well what would the limit be? I'm not sure there's much more power then the 500. Although I am working on a big bore safari rifle and the 250 pounds of recoil does frighten me

I have the 2 3/4" S&W 500 snubbie. I have not fired full house 500's yet, as I started with handloads and worked my way up. My loading is a 385gr. Remingtron JHP over enough H110 to get the bullet running 1120 fps chrono'd from the short barrel. This is not too bad from the standard rubber grips, but from the finger groove wood grips shown, five shots can draw some blood at the web/thumb if I don't do everything right. The wearing of shooting gloves would eliminate that, too, but I'm a bit of a purist. I could load it hotter, but I think even that load would get a bear's attention if necessary. A longer barrel, or heavier gun without a comp would be a bit more manageable, but be prepared: those comps DO reduce recoil a lot. I also like the clean look, and S&W has made some 500's without the comp, so it is nothing new. ...........................
DSC05273.jpg
[/IMG]

stanislav

Your snubbie is really nice. It is too short to have a compensator. By the way if you want to sell it anytime, write me a message.

nanewt02

Wel just have a show and tell, see what the majority of the members opinions are on the gun when it's done, after seeing those wood grips I may change my mind on the white

Venom1956

God whats the DB outta that snubbie barrel with light fast loads? ICK! No thanks! Thats like Plugs tape over ears then muffs territory.

kahrguy

Hey guys, he's gona figure it all out , revolver and african rifle. Then find a common sence midle ground for both.

My neighbor two doors down (about 150 yards) always knows when I crank off the S&W 500. He is a retired cop, and says it startles him every time, as it is that much more of a boom and blast than the usual 9mm's or .45's, etc. The 10mm and .38 Super can also have some healthy blast depending on the powder and load.

buck460XVR

Get over it, I must not know what I'm doing, better tell my happy customers I do work for

You work on guns for paying customers, yet you have to come to a internet gun forum for an answer about something as simple as grip fitment on a common frame?

recoil doesn't bother me, even rapid shooting the 500 grains. I shoot about twenty rounds a year out of it

20 rounds a year....really? 4 whole cylinders full, eh? You really are a recoil junkie.

Sorry, it's just I'm a Paradox junkie........

nanewt02

I shoot 20 rounds a year because they cost a fortune and I rarely have time to go shooting, I work on guns, mostly guts, and was just double checking before I forked out 80 bucks, but apperently I can't ask a simple question without someone being an ass. I mean for Christs sakes it was just supposed to be a simple question

Inspector3711

I know a guy that removed the muzzle break from his 500 XVR. He wanted a gun that would hurt him. He max loaded some rounds for the first outing.

The grip sliced his palm, and the hammer ruined his cowboy hat. He had a lump as big as a golf ball on his noggin.

He got what he wanted.

nanewt02

Well il start with mild loads to be safe , damn, the guy I bought it from actual burnt his arm from the gases coming from the cylinder

wyobohunter

Smith & wesson 500 without compensator is like a car without tires. Yeah you still can turn the engine on, but not drive. Either the author of this post is a kid or really not very bright minded man. Don't ruin my favourite revolver with your stupidities.

I don't think he intends to do anything to "your" revolver. Chill out dude.

TimSr

I can't help but wonder, but when you combine the phrases "rapid fire" and "20 rounds a year" it sounds like one really short range session unless you reload really, really slow!

nanewt02

dont have a reloading kit, i hardly have had time to go shooting. i fire ALOT more than that one gun, i shoot my box and move on to the next,