S&W .32 hand ejecton revolver

kodiak53

Back in January I sold a .54 cal. Inline to a guy and he wanted a scope for it...I traded him an older 2X7 Redfield for an 1896 W/ Real Pearl grips. It's in fair shape but he dropped it and broke the hammer spur off. Does any body know where I can get one? Thanks

James K

Member In Memoriam
The really rare version of the 1896 is the target model, with an adjustable rear sight and a bead front. Up to a couple of years ago I didn't know such a thing existed, then I saw one on a web site (maybe here) and then one at a gun show. Tiny screws and a sliding plate. Unbelievable precision work.

Jim

eastbank

after soaking the grip screw with a couple drops of kroil,they came off easy and they are numbered to the gun. i have a few .32 S&W shorts and will fire it once. the sights are a bit skimpy for my eyes tho. eastbank.

SantaCruzOM

As Winchester 73 noted, those are the same grips used on the safety hammerless. I have a .38 (4th model) with the exact grips. They look really nice, but I don't think they're particularly valuable.

Regards,
Frank

dogngun

I have a newer - pre-1920-.32 Hand Ejector. They are really interesting little revolvers, and I know that many were carried in WWI as personal weapons, especially by officers. They are pretty handy and easily carried, and back in those days the .32 S&W Long was considered a very good defensive caliber. It probably still would serve if the shots were accurately placed.

Mine was around $200, and I was amazed at how good a condition it is in after all these years. These old Smiths are gems of craftsmanship-no one anywhere makes anything remotely like them any more. Your flat top is especially nice and collectable. I have found several really nice old treasures in someone's "cheap junk" piles over the years, and it always makes them seem a little better to me for that reason. You stole it. I hope you really enjoy it.
The grips alone are probably worth what you paid for the whole gun.
mark

TxFlyFish

holy SMOKeS I literally just fondled the same gun 15min ago except in nickel ....did not know what it was except the guy next to me tells that it's in a very rare condition...he was offering 500

jackserv

I was curious about my early S&W .32 Hand Ejector. This gun has a 2" barrel which I can't find anything about. Has the half-moon front site located 1/8 inch from the muzzle and doesn't appear to be chopped or else was done perfectly. I'm think 1896-97. First patent date July 1, 84. The last patent date on the cylinder is July 18, 95. Serial # 71xx. Hard rubber grips are number matched. Gun seems pretty tight and gunsmith says "ready to shoot". It has 5 screws with 2 screws just above the trigger. Nickel finish is almost completely gone.
Leave as is or maybe blue or slow rust blue? Would it be worth having the nickel redone? Any thought greatly appreciated. Sold as a shooter due to poor nickel finish.

Attachments

• SWHE 2.jpg
    SWHE 2.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 26

carguychris

Jackserv, I'm almost certain that the barrel has been cut, for 3 reasons. First, IIRC the shortest standard length was 3in. Second, the sight is the wrong shape - more of a half-egg than a semicircle. Third, and perhaps most importantly, the sight isn't pinned in place. If you look at the barrel in the OP's pictures, you'll see a little nub centered beneath the sight; this is the retaining pin.

I think a past owner had the barrel professionally cut to enhance concealment or to mitigate a bulge caused by firing a live round behind a squib, ie a bullet stuck in the barrel from a defective round. A gunsmith recrowned the muzzle and brazed on a new front sight. He did a decent job, by the looks of things.

The bad news is that this work wipes out any collector value the gun had. The good news is that you can refinish it without guilt since the collector value is already gone. :)

jackserv

Thanks for the info Carguychris. Just noticed you are in Richardson also. I am just surprised that it was done so neatly. It is totally smooth all around the site within the ridge and no sign of brazing. The shine in the photo is remaining nickel. Seems shorting the barrel would be more difficult on a nickel gun but this was good except unpinned.

I have an old .38 which I'm guessing is a Model 1905 3rd Change. I am stumped because there is no SW trademark logo or Made In USA on the side plates. Patent info on top of the barrel is last dated Dec.29,14. 5" barrel, 2 pins on cylinder star, serial 297xxx. Cylinder, barrel and butt #'s all match. 5 screw. Is this an odd-ball that missed the stamping rollers? Pics attached

Attachments

• SW .38 Model of 1905 fredricksburg 0011.jpg
    SW .38 Model of 1905 fredricksburg 0011.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 18
  • SW .38 Model of 1905 fredricksburg 009.jpg
    SW .38 Model of 1905 fredricksburg 009.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 13
  • SW .38 Model of 1905 fredricksburg 006.JPG
    SW .38 Model of 1905 fredricksburg 006.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 12
I have an old .38 which I'm guessing is a Model 1905 3rd Change. I am stumped because there is no SW trademark logo or Made In USA on the side plates.

I don't think those markings were applied until the 4th change.