Rusting in safe..

Old Stony

I think I need some advice on one of my safes. I have four safes full of guns, and only one of them seems to give me problems. I think it must be related to one time when I was browning a muzzleloader..which I have done numerous times over the years. After the browning, I used baking soda and water to stop the process and afterward stored the rifle in this safe. Normally I have all my other muzzleloaders in another safe.
I keep the blued firearms in my safes well covered with RIG grease normally, and they are still getting rust in this one safe. I sort of think maybe it is acting as a browning cabinet maybe as a result of the browning that was placed there once. I don't think dessicant or a golden rod would be a solution for me as the garage where this is kept is quite warm already and I have no problems in my other safes in the same area.
The safe is lined with the normal thin carpet type of material and I'm thinking maybe this needs to addressed at this point. I was contemplating using a mixture of baking soda and water to saturate the inside of the safe to see if it could neutralize the browning problem?
Your thoughts on this problem would be greatly appreciated. Anyone else out there ever face something like this?

Old Stony

I don't really understand what airflow would do to help the problem. I have three other safes sitting beside this one problem safe and have no problems with them. Through the summer here, sometimes it's probably 100 degrees in the garage and I don't know if raising the temp with a golden rod would help either. I'm thinking of a way to neutralize the browning chemicals maybe that have permeated the area within the safe?

LineStretcher

Many safes are lined with sheet rock to get their fire rating. It's not a horrible task to remove it and replace it. I'm afraid that soaking the carpet will just add to the problem.

I just upgraded a couple of my safes by replacing the sheet rock with 1/2" Hardie Cement backer board. You might consider that instead.

RC20

On board with the rip the interior out.

You can get desiccant from Grainger in bulk, low cost, might help or stop as well.

Turns from light blue to pink if its been used up.

Clemson

It is not the temperature that keeps the guns from rusting. A goldenrod (or similar) device simply keeps the temperature inside the safe higher than the ambient temperature outside the safe. That keeps condensate from forming. You can rust the dickens out of a gun at 100 degrees if the humidity is high and you let moisture condense on the guns.

Old Stony

I actually don't think moisture is my problem with this safe, as much as some chemicals left from the browning process on the one rifle that was stored there. I do not get rough spots of rust, just discoloration in spots. I am going to try some of the baking soda remedies and such, but I think I may have to eventually end up ripping out all the interior and starting over.
I have four safes full of guns in the same location and all are subject to the same conditions. One of them having the problems tells me that adding heat or airflow, etc.. is probably not going to help the situation. I think if I can neutralize the chemical problem in the safe, I think it might be my solution.

Old Stony

thallub….you might have just highlighted part of my problem. I have noted that rifles in the safe that have ammo in cartridge carriers attached to them show definite problems. The ammo ends up with a frosted looking appearance with any shiny brass taking on a dull appearance. The article you referenced makes note of wiring and such being effected by the Chinese drywall.

Old Stony

It was the second safe of the four I own. It is a Winchester brand that says "made in Ft. Worth" on it. It is 745 lbs and has a capacity of 45 long guns. It is the only Winchester safe that I own....and I don't see me buying another. I think I'll just start ripping out the sheet rock and build my own interior in the safe. It will be a job, but if it solves my problem I think it will be worth it. I have a golden rod in it now, but I don't think it actually does any good for me. I removed all the guns and have been cleaning them off and on for a couple days now. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have enough time to finish cleaning and coating all the guns....then start tearing the safe apart.

ocharry

One of my safes is a Winchester brand....I have had it for a few yeas now...its purpose is holding the guns I use all the time...only keep about 6-8 in it at any one time...but I have never had a problem with it

I dont think the brand has anything to do with your problem....I think and its just speculation on my part...but I think something has gotten into the carpet or the fire proofing or both from your rusting chemicals and they are giving off something in the closed up environment inside the box..causing the rust....

Yeah I would gut the box and wash it down good with baking soda and let it air out good...making sure it is dry before replacing the interior..... Maybe close it up after its dry with some kind of metal inside for a few day and see what if anything happens

Just some thoughts

Ocharry

ocharry

Thx Bill...that is good info...I had no idea baking soda was a salt base

See there..old dogs can learn something new

Scratch the BS...lol...baking soda thinking then

Ocharry

gwpercle

It is either browning chemicals absorbed by the carpet wall finish.....but it sounds more like Chinese drywall.
That stuff is devistating to metal . Takes about one year to show up in a house and the only fix is remove the drywall , remove all electrical wiring , outlets , light fixtures and HVAC units, A costly neutralizer must be sprayed on the wood framing , the wood absorbs the chemicals and causes more problems later .
Let it dry and then rebuild the house....again.
This hit us hard after Katrina and there is no way to coat or treat the drywall....Remove it ASAP .
Gary

Old Stony

rsXab9Il.jpg

I started to tear out the drywall from the safe...starting with the door, which had two layers. This rust was in between the two layers. I contacted Winchester safes about the problem and sent them pic's. They are supposed to get back to me tomorrow. I have had the safe about 3 years with intermittent problems with this rust...and the safe has a 5 yr. warranty. We'll see what happens ??