rust preventative for ccw's?

Van55

Here's another recommendation for Eezeox.

Works well as a lubricant, too. I had a problem with a door lock sticking. Put a drop of Eezeox on my key and the lock has been problem free ever since.

SpectreBlofeld

I'm thinking about giving my kel-tec p-11 the teflon treatment. The bluing offers virtually no rust resistance and I don't want to have to keep re-oiling it, plus, I don't want oil on my clothes from carrying it.

My CZ-P01 has whatever that polycoat wonderfinish is that CZ uses and it's held up wonderfully without having to give it any special care.

Mark Milton

I use FLITZ which is a preservative for carbon steel knives. It comes in a tube like toothpaste and is about the same consistancy but it protects your steel.

P97

I have carried over 5 years and the only thing I've done to my CCW is spray it with Eezox once a month and run a Boresnake through after each shooting. No trace of any runs inside or outside and I live in a humid climate.

Mello2u

I'm glad this thread is here. It got me to buy some Eezox. I will try it out and see how it works.

EezoxTest2_43hoursWEB500.jpg

The above picture is from this site. http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html

Last edited:

gglass

After a good cleaning, all my firearms are lubricated with Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease. I also rub down the outside of the gun with Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease because it is an active corrosion preventer that stays in place. I have not found a better product to lube and protect a firearm that is carried in the elements. You can buy a can of Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease, at any car parts store, for around $6 bucks and it will last for a dozen years.

• Excellent resistance to rust and corrosion.
  • Excellent resistance to water washout.
  • Outstanding lubrication over a wide temperature range.
  • Temp Ranges: -40 C (- 40 F) to 150 C (302 F)

Claddagh

Before the advent of stainless steel firearms, we used a coat of silicone car wax on CCWs and hunting weapons. It worked very well. A "hard" wax such as carnuba should do as well, now that the silicone products have gone away. Just be sure that the words "polish" or "cleaner" don't appear in the label blurb, as they usually indicate the presence of chemical cleaning agents or abrasives which would degrade the finish.

Blue Wonder "Armadillo" is a firearms-specific polymer product made for the precise purpose you cited. It costs a good bit more per oz than car wax, but it's very tough and works just dandy. "Renaissance Wax" is another great product developed for use by museums, etc. to protect artifacts from deterioration/oxidation while on display or in long-term storage. I've used it for several years and never had a fleck of rust appear on a treated item. It's expensive per jar, but it takes so little to coat an item that one jar seems to last forever.

Haven't tried "Eezox". The other products have worked well enough for me that the occasion never arose where I felt the need to try another one.

n5odj

Yet another vote for Eezox. Good stuff. The internal parts are lubed with CLP (holdover from my USMC days) & that works pretty well, but the Eezox is super for keeping off exterior rust.

Robert in the hills of Tennessee