rust preventative for ccw's?

troy_mclure

i live in humid louisania, and my ccw guns get surface rust real easy.

any good products out there that wont make it slippery, or transfer to my clothes as well as keep the rust away?

zebulonsmith

I like to give mine a very thin coat of RIG Universal Grease. Wipe them down, then let them sit out in the air to dry. Works great in sticky Ohio summer.

jgcoastie

I use transmission fluid as my all-purpose lubricant for all my guns and let them air-dry overnight with a fan blowing on them after cleaning and final wipe-down. Haven't had any rust problems yet, even after pouring rain/snow/ice and falling into various rivers and bays (I'm kinda clumsy when I'm real cold...).

Sixer

bite the bullet (not literally) and spend a few bucks to have the slides refinished. I had Todd at CustomizedCreationz nickel plate the slide on my daily carry (Sig 239). Looks great and keeps the rust away.

Obviously more expensive than a wipe with an oily rag, but definitely less expensive than a new CCW :)

This really depends on your objectives. If you use a grease or a liquid, it will tend to come off on your clothing. Clothing is a problem because cloth can either wick moisture away or wick it into contact with the metal and hold it there. Paper fibers do the same thing which is why it is not uncommon to see surface rust where steel contacted metal.

The wax products will be the least likely to transfer after they are dried. Especially not a hard wax like carnauba wax. That said, there is really nothing to stop you from taking one of the lubricant type protectants that bond to the surface and using it first, then waxing over top of it.

Then there is old-school. Don't know how it does with clothing, but when a fitting coated with it comes up from underground 53 years later with no rust, NO-OX-ID must be doing something right.

cougar gt-e

Eezox

I dropped a mag in the sand and had to clean it. Also cleaned the barrel. Used a bucket of clean water to flush out the grit. The water beaded up and the parts were nearly dry with a shake. Added soap and it still did it. Impressed me.

Locoweed

I live in hot and humid Alabama. To keep my P3AT rust free (it lives in my right front pocket 24/7) I saturate a small stiff paintbrush with Breakfree CLP and go all over the gun with that after cleaning. I let it soak in overnight and then wipe off the excess, load, and pocket. It works great and I've never had a speck of rust. I do this about monthly.