Rust is killing my guns!

cosmolinelover

Hi Guys,

I live in NM where for cooling we use evaporative coolers. Basically since its so dry here, we humidify the house to cool it down. It tends to work ok as long as its not humid outside, but at the expense of really increasing the tendency for things to rust.

I've filled my safe with desicant but it just hasn't held up well over this summer. Right now I'm looking at my AK and it literally looks like it was just found out in a swamp somewhere. Not pretty.

My brand new AR has already began to show signs of rust on the few non anodized parts, and I've only had it for a month.

Two questions:

What do you guys use in high humidity climates to keep your guns from rusting? So far I've been using these reusable desicants they sell over at the Sportsman's Warehouse -- and last summer they seemed to do the trick. For whatever reason though its not cutting it anymore (and I've replaced them all fairly recently).

Number 2:

Whats the best way to remove rust? At least for my AK, which seems to have taken the brunt of the beating, it looks like a job bigger than any Hoppies #9 is going to accommodate. I'm thinking about some kind of bath I could drop her in perhaps, kerosene maybe? And for the smaller rust issues, I've heard just some hoppies solvent and steel wool can go a long way....but this is a level of Rust thats new to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

-Cosmo

RedneckFur

Oil your guns regularly. I live in the humid south were the humidity is high as long as the weather is warm. Put a good coating of machine or gun oil on your guns every time you handle them, and rust will not be an issue.

Hoppe's 9 is not a rust preventative to my knoledge. after cleaning, you must oil them.

cosmolinelover

10-4 so some good oil after I've got them de-rusted to keep it that way. What about getting them back to perty (i.e. removing the rust) before that step?

bclark1

CLP and a toothbrush is the hard way, but it's a good way to get it off without any collateral cosmetic issues. If you can keep it to the non-finished parts, a brass brush will do you well, although if you're liable to take some anodization off if you over-scrub the edges where it meets. There's probably fancier ways to avoid rust but just lube well. Some guns might not take so well to that treatment, but ARs and AKs are A-OK with a thorough coat.

nate45

click

This stuff works great, just get the large red spray pump bottle or aerosol can, the corrosion x for guns is the same thing only in a smaller more expensive bottle.

They originally developed it to combat the effects of saltwater, I even use it to clean my muzzleloaders, never had a rust problem.

fisherman66

I've been using paste wax with good results on a well used Win 1894. I used to oil it and a couple weeks latter I would reoil and the pad would be red with rust. Since switching to wax I haven't had that problem.

doug66

Goldenrod de-humidifer in the bottom of my safe. Safe is out in the car hole, lots of moisture out there, no rust in safe.

BillCA

Try some of the VCI products from Van Patten Industries.
http://www.theinhibitor.com. I've had good luck with their VCI chips in my safe.

A fair amount of moisture can get into a safe, especially if there is a bathroom nearby used for showers or bathing. The VCI products help reduce corrosion for several months. Additonally, most of my handguns go into silicone treated bore-stores. The long guns get oiled before being put into the safe, but there are some VCI products to keep them free of rust in there too.

Corrosion-X is an excellent product too. Combining several products will just about eliminate your corrosion problems.

But you might also measure the humidity in your house and especially around your safe. If your safe is in a closet, keep the door closed all the time. If it's in a little-used room, reduce the airflow to that room when it's not in use.

P97

Its very humid where I live and I've used Eezox exclusively on all my guns for several years now and don't have any problem with rust or lubrication. :)

cosmolinelover

Thanks for all your posts guys. It looks like a combination of Corrosion-X, Eezox, and maybe some other oils on the guns themselves should go a long way. And I will try that inhibitor stuff as well.

Are there any fire dangers in using a solution such as the goldenrod while I'm away from the house? It does concern me slightly to be putting a heating element un monitored into my safe....

cosmolinelover

So I take it the name "cosmolinelover" wasn't really serious?

Hehe, well, I love it when I get a new toy slathered in cosmoline. I like it quite a bit more when I get it all off and get to try her out :D

Truth be told, it would seem the number of cosmolined guns I've gotten has been on the steady decline in recent years... I remember just a few years ago, anything from J&G was almost guaranteed to be a cosmolined wreck -- it seems lately they've been cleaning some of it off before they ship them out...

Even the latest batch of PA-63's I ordered came in relatively clean... so now they have time to rust in my safe :rolleyes:

BTW great article kamerer... reading it now....

nate45

I use Renaissance wax

I also use Renaissance wax and the Pre-Lim surface cleaner on all my classic Colt a S&W pistols. I would have recommended it to begin with, but didn't know if the OP wanted to go to all the expense and work of polishing his firearms, when he could just wipe them off with corrosion x.

Waxing puts on a great shine and prevents rust, fingerprints and cylinder powder rings.

My 1956 S&W .44 Magnum, waxed with Renaissance.
pre29-a.jpg

Swampghost

We have a similar problem here, high humidity and 'salt air' coming off of the ocean. We also frequently hunt in the rain using airboats and/or swamp buggys. We also know that, sooner or later, our weapons will end up swimming or very close to it.

This may be a little tough from NM but the Net can help you find marine supplies. Corrosion Block is great stuff and I hose down internals about once a year followed by RemOil. SuperLube is Teflon in a petroleum vehicle, it comes in a spray, use sparingly in actions. I've been using lots of RemOil for hosing down the externals and I do mean hosing. Spray, let the excess drip off and store also be liberal in the bore. Remember to clean everything before use.

The marine field also has many sizes of dessicant tubs for use in your vault.

I'd post some pics of some old SoFL guns but Ol'#2 has misplaced the camera. Again.