Run, Hide, Fight

rgrundy

Watching this video really makes me happy that my employer encourages us to carry and most of us do. I would hate to have to let someone kill me at his leisure.

Mr. James

Deaf Smith,

I work in a federal facility in downtown Washington, DC. I've pondered this type of thing and prayerfully considered it. I've come to this conclusion. After I've helped as many folks out as I can, I'm going after the bastard, most likely armed with nothing more than a baseball bat. So be it.

That's my personal decision, and I don't for a moment question anyone else's.

Deaf Smith

James,

I saw the movie at the ERT, our Emergency Response Team, meeting just yesterday (we do HAZMAT not SWAT!)

Funny thing was the nutjob on the movie open the door to the building and what was on the door? The TEXAS 30.06 sign! Yes 'no concealed handguns allowed'.

I almost died laughing as I pointed out to the other guys (and gals) it was a 'gun free' zone!

Now about that baseball bat. Came to the conclusion one needs to find a makeshift bat NOW, while nothing is happening, and know how to get a hold of it. Be it a mop handle, leg of a table, old rusty pipe, OR BIG WRENCH kept in the cleaning closet (you might even get away with putting such a pipe in it now, before anything happens...)

And then find some bait.

Bait you say? Well a fellow co-worker that would look like a good target for the nutjob and use them to attract the nut toward the corder of the hall you are hiding behind!

Cold it is... but come-along games have been used throughout history to ambush stronger enemies.

Deaf

ClydeFrog

active shooter incidents; EDPs...

I read over a few topic posts but didn't watch the video yet.
As for the "what would you do" question, I(as a concealed carry license holder or armed-licensed security officer) would take a few things into account;
what type of weapon(s) are involved, how many armed-violent subjects are there(some may be "hidden" or act as "seeded back-up", a common method of bank robberies), having an "ave of escape" or way to flee may be needed too.
You may think you're LT John McClaine or Chuck Norris, but if I saw a subject pulling out a LAW rocket or M249 machine gun, I'd beat cheecks. ;)
Being able to deal with edged weapons, clubs-sticks or bats is important too.

Many years ago, a female MP in my unit told me how she had to shoot a EDP(emotional-disturbed person) who charged at her with a baseball bat. She was working alone at a small post near a urban area. About a year ago, I had a event where a unstable subject with a large stick threatened me while I was working on a hotel security detail. The convicted felon had a long history of mental illness & violent crime. He is now in state prison.

CF