Rules for a Gunfight...

techbrute

LOL... I didn't realize that someone posted this right before I did...

Anyway, he forgot Navy rule #4: Make sure your guns are measured in inches, not caliber. :D

Archie

Yeah....

I've seen the Marine Corps rules and such. I've also read (had and lost) Cooper's "Seven Principles of Self-Defense", which is excellent, by the way.

What I was thinking was something of a 'preparation checklist', as Mass Hunter suggested. I also want to pare down the list somewhat; as Cooper did with condensing 10 rules of firearms safety into 4. Many folks here carry on a regular basis; just being prepared for a very ugly possibility. What I want is the very minimal concepts or rules to get home alive and unscathed. Further, I am considering this as primarily a solo exercise. I haven't been in a 'patrol' in over thirty years.

FWC officer makes a good point about long guns. However, it's really hard to pack a proper carbine or riot gun when doing that 2330 cigarette run to the Stop'n'Rob. I always leave the long gun in the rack and then get bushwacked somewhere in the canned good section. (Hate it when that happens.)

Ozzieman is of course correct; at least in the sense of participation; Erich seems to agree. And of course, I'm sure Oz didn't mean to ignore the concept/principle/rule of not shooting the wrong folks. Not much point in defending the homestead and killing one's firstborn accidentally. I think we can posit 'rules' in the meaning of 'principles' by which to prepare.

Bad350 and the Wolfe make valid points. If one can avoid the problem, one should. Unfortunately, the 'prescience' switch in my head is intermittent. I can only foresee about five to six seconds into the future.

TJ. Where did you get that picture? And who in blazes is that, anyway?

Oh, the list of 26 rules left out the one about "Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo."

n3twrkm4n

Aewsome rules, there should be a book if there isn't already that could constantly be added too... I just wanted to say there was a guy on Ripley's believe it not last night who has been shooting from his hip forever he can successfully shoot a balloon from 200 yards with a snubbie S&W as well as shoot a card from a deck of cards on it's side like "------" not so you can really see it and he shot it damn right to hell in half.

Lots of practice I guess... it would be aewsome to be able to come to a gun fight knowing that before this guy even draws his weapon I can have two in him. This guy also managed to shoot two balloons about 8 feet apart so fast that the slow motion couldn't even differentiate between his cocking. He used single action .45's for his 'experiments'.