Ruger Talo new vaquero .44 magnum

rclark

. As to why they wrote "NEW VAQUERO" on it...
Again, I'd assume it has the reverse indexing pawl which would put it in the New Vaquero class. Otherwise there is no reason for the New Vaquero name. Just 'Vaquero' would do as it would a run-of-the-mill original Vaquero with short barrel and a birds head grip.

Laz

I’ve always been under the impression that confusion comes from focusing solely on the word “New’. I believe the best and most sure method of differentiating the large from the smaller frame is the serial number prefix - two digits for large frame and three for the smaller frame.

44 AMP

Staff
I’ve always been under the impression that confusion comes from focusing solely on the word “New’.

Possibly. Focusing on any ONE part of a name can cause confusion. And, that can apply to serial numbers, as well.

I have Blackhawks with two digit serial number prefixes AND the word "New" on them. (New Model Blackhawk)

Also had Vaqueros that just said Ruger Vaquero, and one that said Ruger NEW VAQUERO.

Doesn't seem to matter what "rule" you come up with, or what pattern SEEMS to be consistent, sooner or later they will make an exception, either as a limited run, or as new production...

rclark

I believe the best and most sure method of differentiating the large from the smaller frame is the serial number prefix - two digits for large frame and three for the smaller frame.
Close.... But my 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum is a flattop (large frame) with a xxx-yyyyy serial number. Only exception I know of . So yeah, always an exception to the 'rule'. But otherwise, three digit is a good indication of medium frame revolver :)

ballardw

Doesn't seem to matter what "rule" you come up with, or what pattern SEEMS to be consistent, sooner or later they will make an exception, either as a limited run, or as new production...

Isn't part of that what drives, or at least makes interesting, the collectors markets? Especially for those that want to have one of every "X" variant?