Ruger Super Blackhawk, your opinion

CraigC

I just love the gold inlay on top of the blued finish.
Me too, they're beautiful sixguns! I would've bought one of the 50th Supers if I didn't already have the above-pictured Bisley. Too redundant, couldn't justify it and I prefer the Bisley anyway.

I took the grips of removed the old stains, stemmed out the ding and sanded them some and refinished.
Turned out great!

Jim March

Jim there is a 50th anniversary "SUPER" Blackhawk that has the normal 7 1/5" Bbl and the large dragoon gripframe.

True. But that's not the one going for screamin' cheap overstock at CDNN :).

CraigC

The CDNN blowout on the 50th .44 flat-top is tough to beat. I know I paid over $500 for mine when they first came out. Davidson's has the 50th Super on sale though. Looks like it would go for about $650 locally and it has those spiffy cocobolo grips on it.

DAnjet500

I just love the gold inlay on top of the blued finish.

It is not really inlay. The gold lettering and striping is on the blue, not in it. But the bluing is on a par with the "high polish" Old Models. Here's a few pics of mine, SB-00063. I have four SBHs, two OMs and two NMs. They are all 7.5" barrels. The shorter 5.5" barrels are easier to carry but the extra weight of the 7.5" help tame the recoil.

Super007.jpg

Super013.jpg

Super010.jpg

Last edited:

Jim March

Sorry, but I wouldn't pay $650 for the 50th Super. I'd MUCH rather pay $419 (wow!) for the first run 50th 44 and then spend the difference on Bisley parts. A Bisley-ized 50th 44 would be flat out perfect.

John D

Frankly, I've never cared for my 7.5" SBH. The factory grips were too small, the Pachmyar I bought too large.....I guess I need some "Goldilocks" grips. It's a big, heavy pistol. Have a 6" Mountain Gun in 44M that I like much more.

GeauxTide

I've owned two 7.5, blued and current SS. After years of hanging that hog on my hip, I would get the 5.5. My 45 Bisley changed my mind on the length. Trigger job, Belt Mountain Base Pin, Bowen Rough Country rear sight, and Herrett's grips, and you're in business.

riggins_83

I have a Super Super Blackhawk made in the 80s with the Bisley grip. Great shooter, tough as nails. For a woods gun I prefer the 7.5" barrel.

CraigC

Sorry, but I wouldn't pay $650 for the 50th Super.
It 'could' save you $300 in finish work, if what you want is a bright blued finish. Guess it depends on what you want. I really wouldn't see a point in converting a flat-top to a Bisley. Getting the XR3 grip frame is kinda the whole point. While the Micro rear sight is better than the later model aluminum sight, Bowen's target rear sight is better than either. What I would rather do with my 50th flat-top is cut it back to 4 5/8", mount a custom front sight and refinish the whole thing. Just wouldn't load it any heavier than 250's@1000fps. Which you can do with the new mid-frame .44Spl so.....lots of ways to spend your money.

If I didn't already have my 7½", I'd get the 50th Super and have Jim Stroh convert it to a Bisley, do his half-cock modification with setback and straightened trigger, cut off the factory front sight blade and mill a pocket in the base for a pinned Patridge blade.

valkabit6

Another vote for the Bisley grip frame. I've got three Bisley Blackhawks, .357, .44, and .45, (I just couldn't help myself). Before you buy you might want to fire a Bisley model and compare.

Winterhawk56

I bought my Super Black Hawk with 7-1/2" barrel in 1979 for $150.00. I changed the grips and mounted a Burris scope on it. Shot lots of round and allot of game! I say buy the 7-1/2" barrel Super Blackhawk. You can reach out and touch most anything with the 7-1/2" barrel. I see no reason for a 10" and it makes it a little difficult to holster, carry and to some degree, shoot.

Still very accurate and worth every dime!

Attachments

• i Phone Picture 022.jpg
    i Phone Picture 022.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

crghss

I have a SRH .44 mag 10". It's great at the range but just to big for the woods. I love shooting it but dragging it through the woods isn't all that great.

I'm looking for a .41 mag with 5.5" to use for the woods.

headbangerJD

CraigC

I'm looking for the best price on the 50th Anniversary Super Blackhawk and so far Bud's Gun shop has the cheapest one at $640 delivered (is this a good price?). Another post said that the CDNN blowout on the 50th .44 flat-top was a great deal, but I went to their website and the gun in the add didn't look like it had the gold around the cylinder.

Last edited:

Cult .44

I really like my 5.5" standard blue SBH. It took a little while to settle into the good way to grip it in my hand (lowish and pinky under) but once I did I can shoot powerful loads quite comfortably. And my accuracy has been improving steadily. I may hunt with it next year.

22-rimfire

I know the SBH is a good revolver. I would choose the 7.5" myself. I have a 9.5" SRH which I use for hunting. It is a hog, and if I bought another one, it would have the 7.5" barrel on it. Got a 6.5" BH in 41 mag which I like. It is a good compromise in barrel length for hunting and range shooting.The shorter barrel versions are better for just toting around. So it really depends on your use. If you get one and you like it, there is no reason you can't get the longer or shorter barreled version later.

CraigC

Probably won't be able to beat Bud's price.

The 50th "Blackhawk" or flat-top was a plain sixgun with just the gold lettering on top of the barrel. No high polish or gold bands. Complete with black eagle, black plastic grips, although the originals were walnut. Had mine fitted with burl maple by CLC.
50th%20.44%20-%20002.JPG

Jim March

Yeah, it's starting to get confoosing but there's now two "anniversary 44s". The older/cheaper one is the flattop replica at CDNN and elsewhere for between $419 and $450ish. The newer SBH anniversary 44 is the one with more bling and a much bigger grip with the squareback triggerguard.

They're both fundamentally the same gun at their core: they can handle the same loads, same strength, and same awesome Ruger parts-swapping capabilities :).

I'd buy the older one and mod the hell out of it, myself :). At a minimum, oversize wood grips on the stock XR3 grip frame, and a Bisley hammer.

headbangerJD

On one hand, I like CraigC's Blackhawk because of the price and shorter barrel

On the other hand, I like the gold decorated and unfluted cylinder of the other 50th edition

Decisions, decisions...