Ruger Super Blackhawk, your opinion

headbangerJD

I've pretty much decided that my next gun is going to be a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44mag, maybe even the 50th anniversary edition. But before I buy it, I would like to know your opinions on this beautiful gun. I also cannot decide whether to get the 7.5 or 10.5 inch barrel.

pendennis

I've owned two, and still own a stainless steel, 7.5" barrel model. It's an outstanding handgun, and worth every penny I paid.

Mine has a Weaver 2-8x30 scope, and was Magnaported before I bought it. It wears Hogue grips, and has had a trigger job. It's a real smoothie to shoot. It's also extremly durable, and very accurate.

I've turned down a couple of 10.5" models, because I've always thought it more of a silhouette revolver than a hunter. However, that's more a personal opinion than anything else. You'd need to judge that for yourself.

I also own Bisley Models, both in .44 Magnum and .45 Colt. The grip frame on this model is extremely comfortable. You may want to check out this model, too.

Good luck in your search.

hickstick_10

7.5 inch barrel

Excellent gun, itl give you, your kids, your grandkids and so forth and so on decades of good shooting.

IMHO there is no better gun out there for that price

Jim March

OK. First, it's a good gun. An absolute best buy in 44Maggies. Sometimes known as "The Official Alaska Handgun" as it's cheap, tough, accurate and potent enough for woods defense.

The 50th 44 is a problem for some folks because it has a very small grip frame for the size. Ruger very quickly abandoned that smaller "XR3" size grip for the 44Magnums back in the early 60's and should have thought twice about bringing it back later, "authenticity" be danged.

BUT, quality tended to be very good otherwise. And CDNN Investments has 'em brand for about $450, a screamin' deal.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com (call 'em for pricing/order info)

For that price, you can probably afford a bit of tweaking. And there's at least one outfit offering oversize grip panels that extend down over the bottom of the short XR3 (read: Colt SAA size) grip frame for those with bigger hands or with this 44Mag/XR3 combination. Price should be under $100, I've seen pics but I can't recall who makes 'em. You should be able to ask for 'em custom that way from some of the smaller gripmakers who do grips for the "recent run of XR3s" (or they'll usually say "New Vaquero grips" as that's the most common gun with the new variant XR3 which isn't quite the same as the old 1950s Ruger XR3).

An even better tweak would be to do a total Bisley conversion - hammer/trigger/gripframe/grips. Done yourself with a Ruger Bisley parts kit from Brownells, this will run about $250. Results will be very sweet though, esp. if you're going to run really stout 44Mag loads.

The single most desirable Ruger 44Mag SA is probably the Bisley Hunter variant. That's a $600+ gun even used.

If you're on a real budget, the basic blue SuperBlackhawks in decent but used condition often go for around $350ish...less if there's finish wear. Since they're pretty close to indestructible :) that can be a very good deal.

HiBC

If by some horrible event,I was forced to own only one firearm,it might well be a SBH.

I got mine about '71,and have fire thousands of rounds through it,no problems.I have killed elk with it.

Mine has the bbl cut at 5 in,so I can wear it holstered and sit in a pickup without tipping over.

You might want to squeeze a Bisley some,and compare to the standard grip.

A spring kit helps the trigger. H110 or 296,and wheelweight 240 kieths and you are good.

Legionnaire

Great guns. I like prefer the Bisley grip, and a shorter barrel. I bought a 5.5" SBH, and did a Bisley conversion with parts from MidwayUSA. Love the gun.

Yankee Doodle

To be quite candid, I hated mine for the first year I had it.
Then, I had the barrel cut to 5" and it made all the difference in the world. In my hands, it balances better, and is much easier to carry. That 7 1/2 inch barrel is just too long for me.
Now, you couldn't get it away from me for any price. It's built like a tank, and is a great comfort in bear country. I just hope I never have to find out just how effective it would be on a charging bear.

farmall

I have the 10.5" SBH, and rarely shoot it. It's just too much barrel to pack around, and kinda defeats the purpose of a handgun. I love the gun itself, and have debated having it rebarreled to 5" or so, but the 10.5" barrel is no good for anything but still hunting or sillouhettes, IMHO.

Andy

b/c of odd hunting laws in Ohio it is somewhat popular to purchase pistols with absurdly long barrels then to put a bipod and scope on them and pretend they are rifles. I imagine the 10.5 would be great for this. Not so much for anything else(I have considered it for this purpose).

SilentHitz

You'll love the SBH, I would go with the shorter barrel though. I owned a 10.5", but reluctantly sold it, even with a good Bianci X-15 shoulder rig, it just didn't work since I sit in a wheelchair. The barrel bottomed out on the seat and jammed the grip into my armpit...VERY uncomfy!:eek:

Looks great, but just too much barrel for me.

mavracer

The 50th 44 is a problem for some folks because it has a very small grip frame for the size. Ruger very quickly abandoned that smaller "XR3" size grip for the 44Magnums back in the early 60's and should have thought twice about bringing it back later, "authenticity" be danged.
Jim there is a 50th anniversary "SUPER" Blackhawk that has the normal 7 1/5" Bbl and the large dragoon gripframe

geetarman

I have owned two of them. The grips on the first one were really too small for my hands and I could never get used to the way it handled. It was one of the most beautiful guns I have ever owned.

I traded a .225 Winchester model 70 for another one years later that had some big oversize grips on it and thought it would handle better. The front sight was canted off as if the barrel had not been torqued enough and I sent it back to the factory to get squared away.

I got the gun back and even with the oversize grips, could not shoot the gun.

I sold it and bought a Smith Model 29-2, 6 inch and it made all the difference in the world.

I have the model 29 and a model 629, also a 6 inch.

They both shoot really well but the 29-2 is just wonderful.

I wish I could shoot the SB well but have found it not to be.

Maybe some of you could offer up some tips to convince me to try another one.:D

I do have some cash. . .and Christmas is almost upon us.:D

No question about it though, the SB is one well built gun and I envy those who shoot them well. . .so talk to me about it. . .ok?:D

madcratebuilder

With Ruger releasing a 50th anniversary Super Blackhawk and a 50th anniversary New Model Blackhawk, both in .44mag, there well be confusion about the names. Sound familiar? Vaquero and New Vaquero.

The anniversary SBH looks nice, if I didn't already have a regular SBH I would seriously be looking at one.

CraigC

the 10.5" barrel is no good for anything but still hunting or sillouhettes
What he said!

I prefer the Bisley and have two in .44Mag. The short model is my favorite and was converted from a 4 5/8" Super. The 7½" was an as-issued Bisley.
P1010059.JPG

Clements%20.44%20-%20015.JPG

headbangerJD

damn

From all the love in the room for the Blackhawk I would think all of you work at Ruger ;). I think that I will get the 7.5 inch barrel, but possibly the 5.5.
The exact name of the ones I am looking at are the 'New Model
Super Blackhawk' and also the 50th Anniversary edition. I just love the gold inlay on top of the blued finish.

pesta2

That Beretta has some really nice walnut on it!

Thanks. I bought it at Cabala’s and it was on sale and the last one they had. It had been in the counter for a while so the grips were scratched and dinged up bad. So I talk them down another $40. I took the grips of removed the old stains, stemmed out the ding and sanded them some and refinished.

rclark

It all depends on what you are going to use it for.

For sillouhettes : 10 1/2 . (Special Purpose)
For general hunting : 7 1/2.
For hunting backup/backpacking/fishing/ home defense/etc. (general carry) : 5 1/2 or 4 5/8 .

If you just plan on just keeping it in its box and bringing to a gun club to target shoot : any barrel length will do.

BTW, the 50th .44 BH is 6 1/2. Nice gun. But I like to shoot .44 Special Level loads with it rather than full house .44 Mag loads. Let my SBH be the heavy hitter.... http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger_Flattop44.htm

The SBH 50th .44 is very nice too. But quite a bit more expensive than just a run of the mill .44 SBH. The bluing is nice on the gun though. http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-50thSBH.htm