Ruger SR9c Peening

ScotchMan

Just got the SR9c back from Ruger. Good turn around time, sent it April 17th, received back May 4th.

Notes included with gun as follows:

ITEM REPLACED: BARREL
ITEM REPAIRED: N/A

Pistol was inspected and repaired at no charge, on a one time only basis as a courtesy. Function fired 30 rounds of BLACK HILLS 115gr FMJ without malfunction. JP

If I look closely, the area that was damaged on the old barrel is polished and showing the very beginnings of peening again. It's pretty clear that part of the barrel rubs against the slide every time the action operates.

I've read lots of counts of people on the Ruger forums filing down the slide on that spot to fix this. I didn't want to do this on my own, but if Ruger won't even do it, what am I supposed to think? It really seems to me that Ruger is sticking its head in the sand and saying this isn't an issue. And due to the "one time only basis" comment, next time the new barrel is on me.

No thanks. Will be getting sold or traded towards the next thing that strikes my fancy. The Gen4 Glock 26 that I got as a potential replacement for this gun is a lot more fun to shoot and carry for me. Nothing against the SR9c or the people it works for, but this will be the end for me.

Dragline45

I've read lots of counts of people on the Ruger forums filing down the slide on that spot to fix this

I had starts of peening on mine and used very fine wet-dry sandpaper with a dab of gun oil to smooth it out. Also you want to get the underside of the slide where the front of the barrel hood and slide meet. You will probably see signs of peening there too. It's pretty hard to mess up when you are sanding by hand with such a fine grit. I have had 400 rounds through the gun since I did this and have not had any signs of peening since.

Honestly the SR9's are built with TOO tight of tolerances. It's almost like buying and aftermarket barrel and having to fit it to the gun. I had to do a good amount of sanding and polishing throughout the entire barrel hood to get the slide action to function as smoothly as it should. I also lightly stoned and polished the rails and feed ramp and the gun functions much better than it did from the factory. I enjoy working on my firearms and for only $400 I cannot complain that I had to do some small fitting to get the gun spot on.

ScotchMan

I suppose that's reasonable. I guess what I'm surprised about is that Ruger wouldn't do the things you just mentioned. They said 1. there is a problem 2. we will fix it for you just this once, so therefore 3. next time you have to pay to fix the problem we acknowledged but don't want to fix the root cause of.

If its as simple as filing a bit why wouldn't they do that? I just don't get their stance on this.