Ruger SR9 pics & video

rantingredneck

Really? Which one? I only heard the mention of the loaded chamber indicator.

It was the one that showed the takedown procedure with the guy sitting at the desk. It was near the end. He turned the slide over and said, almost under his breath, "and here we have the magazine disconnect safety". Like I said it seemed as if they were intentionally trying not to mention that.

2ndamd

YES! I think it is almost perfect. The only thing wrong with it is the mag disconnect. But, I bet it can be "cleaned" :)

This is awesome. Finally someone made a striker fired gun with a manual safety and no flipper or hinge trigger. About time.

and did you see how slim it was? Cool! I hope the accuracy is good and the trigger is NOT sigma like (sorry).

I liked the new sights too. They look very bo-mar like with a low snag rear sight and they are adjustable. This thing is going to be a hit.
Can you say homerun????
:D :D :D

Great job Ruger (now offer it without the mag disconnect) But, I'll dtill get one ....or two anyway :)

LUPUS

It is so so good to have another striker fired pistol;
*Which can be disassembled without pulling the trigger, and with,
*Traditional style manual safety.
*Traditional style ambidextrous magazine release.
*Interchangeable subassemblies carrying the frame rails.
*User friendly grip angle/shape/texture.
The things I do not like on the gun are;
*Magazine disconnect safety, I guess added to overcome some odd obligations in certain markets, but seems like it can be easyly disabled.
*Huge loaded chamber indicator, people like them but I do not prefer.
*Ejector has to be pushed downwards for simple field stripping, adding another useless step to procedure which is a bad Sturm&Ruger tradition.
From the videos, it is impossible to get any idea about the trigger feel, pull lenght and weight. If it is comfortable enough in that league, then I am sure it will be a real rock solid performer.
Regards.

STAGE 2

The more and more I watch of this guys videos, the more and more I want to believe he's an industry blowhard. Its one thing to like a gun, but this 1911 comparison stuff is just dumb. Like I'm supposed to believe that a plastic, striker fired (why is there an externat safety in the first place) double stack 9mm is anything like a 1911. In fact I dont think I've ever seen a Bane video where what he's "reviewing" isn't the best thing to ever be offered to the world of firearms.

As far as the pistol itself, judging by the problems Ruger has had with its other polymer offering I'd stay away for a while. Once they have the bugs worked out I think I'll look at it, shrug, and shoot my polymer pistols that were actually innovative as opposed to a copy of a copy of a copy, and a poor one at that.

blume357

I'm a Ruger fan, so I'm predjudiced....

It looks better than I expected. I was expecting it to have a back strap safety and funky trigger safety thingys... the safety they did put on it is perfect if it is truley like a 1911 safety and can be disengaged with the thumb on your trigger finger hand. The break down looks very clean and simple, which is one of the things I really like about my ruger p series pistols.... I usually carry a kp95 and this pistol looks thiner and smaller than that. Just like with revolvers, I thought I knew what I liked until I tried a good simi-auto. I thought I was a double/single action simi guy but tried a friends Glock 26 the other week and except for having to learn how not to limp wrist it, really like the way it shot. Same with another friends xd in 45... good shooting pistols both. I hope the slide on the SR9 is heavy enough to not have that limp wrist problem... I like to hold my handguns a little loose.

And as mentioned it does have the mag disconnect thingy... but who cares? I guess it's so someone doesn't do the backwards 'idiot' unload thing... rack the slide, drop the mag and say..."see it's unloaded now" BANG!. I like the loaded chamber indicator but not sure about the two big red bullet flags the guy discribed when there is one in the chamber.... they might have to go.

kristop64089

Looks ok, not very concealable looking.

Maybe if they offer more compact models, I'll bite.

All in all, not bad looking.

W/ MSRP at appx $525, it will probably sell for $350-$450.

Jkwas

This is awesome. Finally someone made a striker fired gun with a manual safety and no flipper or hinge trigger. About time.
You mean like Taurus? It's kind of like a full size Millenium Pro. Which I have and like I might add. But probably more heavily built, which is not a bad thing either.
I like what I see so far. Now how's about that compact version :D

TNFrank

Don't get me wrong, I like Rugers BUT that's all we need right now, another Glock Clone. I'll stick with my Glock G22 thank you.

Jkwas

How could something so new look so old already?
Why does it have to be cutting edge? They just took a bunch of desirable features and put them in one package. That's just plain smart.

azredhawk44

Why is the market not producing a single-stack 9mm concealable product line?:mad:

I don't like Keltec. Kahr is too expensive. I don't trust the "sky" pistols.

I was really hoping Ruger would try to cater to the ccw market with a single stack, 3.5" barrel, concealable-grip semiauto.

What a let-down. Another gun for them to produce, that they will fail to sell to any LEO/Military contracts, and will have minimal impact on the civilian market.:barf:

Anna's Dad

What a let-down. Another gun for them to produce, that they will fail to sell to any LEO/Military contracts, and will have minimal impact on the civilian market.

I imagine they are hopiong for some LEO contracts with this one. It certainly seems like it would be a competitor to the Glock and M&P which seem to be attract LEO successfully.

I have two M&Ps. I might consider trading one for this Ruger. Besides, my P345 is lonely (it's my only Ruger).

RJM

Why is the market not producing a single-stack 9mm concealable product line?

Exactly, but lets face it, it is not going to be a Ruger. Every Ruger I have or have ever shot is large. I'm not saying they can't do it, just saying that they seem to like larger guns and probably won't do it.

I for one would buy a single stack concealable 9mm from Ruger, but right now it looks like the Springfield emp is one I should be looking at.

rantingredneck

Besides, my P345 is lonely (it's my only Ruger).

If your P345 is lonely, it needs a P90 to keep it company. They can play and share well together since they take the same mags and ammo. And are both tackdrivers at a reasonable cost.

Both my P345 and P90 talked me into adding a P97 to the family a month or two ago. :)

Jkwas

From what Michael Bane said, a compact is in the works. I just hope they shorten the grip and the barrel :rolleyes:

rantingredneck

I hope a .45 or two are in the works too......

I wouldn't mind having another Ruger 9mm, but I'd really like another Ruger .45. But since I have one of each they've ever produced at this point I'll have to wait for another one to get something new in that caliber. :)

El Guapo

Good Lord they moved the safety to the frame! And it's 17 round capacity! Slim, light, CCW'able.

OK what have I got in the safe right now that I can sell? hmmmmm.......

My Glock 17!!!:D

ESI Agent

From what I see, I like it. I like the fact it has a safety which one of the down sides for Glocks in regard to firearm safety in the home. I also like that its ambidextrous and another issue I really like is it's made in the United States. Just think of it putting Americans to work, Wow, what an idea. The job we save may be our own.