Ruger SR1911 owners, any parts failures?

kenny53

The front sight of mine broke off. Ruger fixed it. When I first got the gun it would only feed FMJ, again Ruger fixed it. I like the gun and it works it's way into my carry rotation.

dahermit

Just a fyi, the safety plunger tube is machined as part of the frame. If for some odd reason the gun is ever drop or damaged and the tube gets pinched, the gun won't function. You'd have to mill the entire tube off and stake a new tube on. There was a reason why they were designed to be staked/replacable.
I have seen several posts over the years over on the 1911 site where safety plunger tube has come loose and has to be sent to a gunsmith to be re-staked. I have never heard of a Ruger falling just exactly right to get the tube to be crushed. Maybe if I try a few more times to thrown mine down just right I may be able to crush it and prove you right.
I suspect that back when John Browning was designing the 1911 and he had investment casting back then, he would have likely cast the safety plunger tube integral ala Ruger, but he had to work within the processes available then.
FYI, the safety plunger tube is not machined as part of the frame, it is cast as part of the frame.

hodaka

I've had the Commander size for about 4 years. Nothing has broken and it seems to run about everything although I shoot mostly my 200 gr. SWC coated lead reloads. Very accurate. Probably about 2000 rounds and I can't remember a hick-up.

JWT

I have three different versions of the SR1911 and have not had any problems with any of them.

Cirdan

They grips do loosen up. Every 100 - 150 rounds for me.

Still, that's the only problem I've had with mine.