Ruger SP101 3" .327

chaim

I've been thinking about one myself.

From what I read, the .32H&R Mag (which will work in a .327mag) and .327mag are great self defense cartridges with relatively low recoil for the amount of energy they produce. The traditionalist in me likes them too since .32 calibers in a revolver have a long and storied history in old defensive revolvers going back quite some time.

I like the idea of a 3" barrel, relatively light gun, and 6 rounds in a caliber that will stop a threat but with light enough recoil for quick follow-up shots. I really don't like 5-shot revolvers, and even though I do like the capacity of an auto, I also love revolvers, so a traditional 6-shooter is always welcome.

The only reason I haven't bought one yet is my 3" Rossi 461. It fills essentially the same niche. At 26oz it can comfortably shoot .38+P giving it similar power to the .327mag, while still being light for carry, and it is a 6 shot revolver. However, I rarely shoot it, and due to issues with my 2" Rossi 461 I've never really trusted or warmed to the 3", so I've never brought it with me when I go to a state where I can carry. So, while having something in this small niche already (pushing something else ahead of it when I consider the .327 SP101), I also haven't been able to get the idea of a SP101 in .327mag out of my head either.

FrankenMauser

I've owned four .327s - the LCR, GP100 4.2" (now Crankylove's), Blackhawk 5.5", and SP101 4.2" - and have shot Crankylove's 3" SP101.

For a carry gun, I think the LCR is the better option, even though the cartridge takes a big velocity hit in the short barrel. (I carry mine loaded with .32 H&R.)
The 3" SP101 is not far behind, but weighs more and has a heavier trigger pull (mandatory, due to the SP101's geometry). Then again... it isn't half plastic, either.

For all-around use, I find the SP101 4.2" to be what I consider to be the best balance - along with higher velocity. It still suffers from a trigger pull heavier than any of the other models, due to the geometry of the design and heavier springs necessary to set off rifle primers (.327 Federal uses rifle primers). But if I had to choose just ONE to keep, it would be the SP101 4.2".

Ammunition availability was an issue when the cartridge was release in 2008/2009, but hasn't been since then - not for me, anyway. Other than Sportsman's Warehouse (which has never carried .327 Federal ammo), every store in my area has .327 Federal on the shelf, and at a price that's usually cheaper than .357 Mag / .38 Special.

Future availability? Enough of these revolvers (and Henry's lever actions) have sold, and continue to sell, that I don't see demand waning enough for supply to dry up within 15 years. 20, 25, 40 years?... One never can tell. But it's far enough out that I don't care. And the ability to shoot .32 H&R and .32 S&W Long means that the revolver doesn't become a brick; it still remains usable and viable.

Cosmodragoon

From what I read, the .32H&R Mag (which will work in a .327mag) and .327mag are great self defense cartridges with relatively low recoil for the amount of energy they produce...

I like the idea of a 3" barrel, relatively light gun, and 6 rounds in a caliber that will stop a threat but with light enough recoil for quick follow-up shots. I really don't like 5-shot revolvers...

Tradition may or may not matter to people but these points are solid.

One thing to think about is that Ruger recently developed a magnum frame for their 3" LCRX. The .357 magnum version is now available. If they follow the pattern here, we could get lucky with a .327 version later this year. (Just in case it helps, feel free to drop them a line and express your interest.) I'm already saving just in case. A 3" LCRX in .327 Federal would not only sidestep the weight and trigger concerns with the SP101. It would fill an almost perfect niche for this little super-magnum.