Ruger Single Six

joh56usa

I am looking into 22 wheel guns?
Any suggestions?

Just looking for something for plinking & small game hunting, and I have my mind set on the Single Six as of today. What do you think of them?

223 shooter

I've had a 5 1/2" stainless Single Six going on 10 years now and it has turned out to be one of my most favorite guns.

It is the one gun that makes it to the range with me most often. A real pleasure to shoot - wish I had bought one years earlier!

JJE

I just had my 7.5" Single Six Hunter at the range this weekend (22LR and .22 magnum cylinders). I used to have a 2x scope on this gun and have hunted squirrels and rabbits with .22LR ammo (the 22 magnum ammo doesn't group nearly as well), but I'm getting a 12" 22LR barrel for my Contender, so I'm moving the scope to that barrel for hunting and just using the Single Six for plinking.

The Single Six Hunter is fine for hunting since it comes with scope rings that fit right on the barrel, but I found the gun pretty awkward fitted with a scope. The 12" Contender will be even bigger, but I expect significantly better accuracy and obviously more velocity. On the other hand, I like the Single Six for plinking, even with the long 7.5" barrel. Cheap shooting and good training.

Kreyzhorse

The convertable version (22lr and 22 mag) is a nice gun. The 22lr are great to plink with and the 22 mags are great fun to shoot.

roklok

I have killed a LOT of small game and varmints with my single-six. It has accounted for hundreds of rats, pigeons and starlings in barns back in PA loaded with shot loads in the 22lr cylinder. I use the 22 magnum cylinder for groundhog and squirrel hunting, and killed a ringneck pheasant with it one time. A gun that has a place in any collection.

22-rimfire

The Ruger Single Six is a good choice. I like double action 22 revolvers better and would look into a Smith 617 even though they are expensive. Get over the pain and you will be happy for a long long time. Colts are always good, but are harder to find.

mwal

I have a Single Six and it is a great dependable gun. I have shot a new sw 617 and it is a good choice if your into DA. I love the Single Six and would never get rid of it

Mwal

jamaica

Ruger Single Six? YES! Great revolver. I have a fair variety of handguns, and shoot the Ruger Single Six more than any of the others.

dgludwig

Got my Super Single Six sometime in the early seventies. A tough versatile little revolver that would be on my short list if I could only have one gun of any type, let alone only one handgun.

Big Bill

I have my mind set on the Single Six as of today. What do you think of them?
I've had several over the years and really love them. Make sure yours comes with a MAG cylinder. I also really like the Ruger Bearcat.

Brian48

I love my SS. It's the oldest gun I have in my battery and one that I doubt I'll ever sell. With the .22 mag cylinder in place, it makes a great trail gun as well.

JWT

I've owned one for over 40 years - the first handgun I ever bought. Great gun in all respects. Get one, as others have said - you can't go wrong.

rcupka

My Single Six is 41 years old. First handgun I learned to shoot (11 years old) my Papa bought it in 1968, I think of him every time I shoot it.

Everyone should have one and never let it go!

Get it you will never regret it!

srt 10 jimbo

Had an old model single six.Traded it for a 336 Marlin in the .35 cal. love the Marlin but I miss the hell out of the Ruger. Was my favorite and most accurate pistol I took to the range.:(

shepherddogs

Hate to be the fly in the ointment but I got my wife one for Christmas last year and a 6 inch group @ 15 yards is about average. They say the Magnums are more accurate in the Single Six but we've never tried them. I thought I was getting her something she could target shoot with but it's not so great.:barf: