Ruger Single-Six Convertible

dgludwig

I was not happy about the significantly different point of impact when switching between LR and Mag.

Unless you're switching cylinders often, the adjustable rear sight that comes with the Super Single Six configuration should solve that issue. However, I have to admit I've never experienced windage changes between the poi vs the poa between the two cylinders on my Ruger as you reported.

44 AMP

Staff
Super Single Six

not sure just what terms they are using today, but 30 some years ago when I got mine, the adjustable sight version was the Super Single Six, and with the .22WMR cylinder, the Super Single Six Convertible.

In the entire time I've had it, I don't think I've fired two full boxes of .22WMR ammo through it. I've never been a fan of the .22WMR. I do respect the performance increase over the .22LR, but for me the increased cost was simply not worth it (and that was back when .22WMR was LESS than $6 a box ;))

If the .22WMR were a reloadable round I'd be all over it. It's not, and so, not worth the price, to me.

Congrats on a fine gun.

Brian48

Congrats. Great shooter. I bought my Ruger Single Six in like new condition for $125 in a little pawn shop just outside of camp LeJeune back in '93. A lot of guns have come and gone, but I still have that SS.

Like many here, I done think I've shot more than 300-400 rounds of 22wmr through it in the past 24 years. Having the option is great though. I was in a situation about 20 years ago where the city was in a weather emergency with severe flooding. I was at my parents' house and had the sump pumps going all night which necessitated the doors being kept open for the hoses. I had to sleep by the door to ensure no break-ins or looting occurred. As fate would have it, the SS was the only gun I had available at the time. All I can say is that I slept a lot better that night having that 22 mag cylinder in place with 6 rounds of CCI Maxi-Mags than with any .22lr.

I am never going to sell this gun.

ruger_family.jpg

dgludwig

All I can say is that I slept a lot better that night having that 22 mag cylinder in place with 6 rounds of CCI Maxi-Mags than with any .22lr.

Good point. As mentioned earlier, I prefer hunting with the Magnum and shoot .22lr when "plinking" with the gun. Really love having the option.

tallball

Great buy! As a teenager I had the convertible and shot many thousands of rounds through it. I shot magnum or "regular", depending on if I was hunting or plinking. It was a great first handgun to grow up with. I gave it to a relative who passed away, and never saw it again.

Many years later I got a 22lr version with adjustable sights but no extra cylinder. It immediately became my daughter's favorite 22 revolver to shoot because cocking it and pulling the trigger were both so light and easy. Plus she is extremely accurate with it.

Congratulations! They are excellent revolvers.

The 5.5in would be my pick too----I have a stainless 6.5in only because I got a great deal on it.

Had a blued 5.5 in the past that I never should have never gotten rid of.

Not many magnums through mine either but they're fun to shoot now and then---almost transforms the SS into a snorting beast---almost.

Tinbucket

I had an aluminum framed Ruger, I think was a single Six way back when. Wish I had it back.
I have Ruger Single Six Convertible Stainless now. Like it very well. Do wish the sights ere stainless too. I need a good holster but it would rub the black off the front sight. I've polished, by hand, mine to a mirror shine.

Armybrat

The trigger guard & backstrap on my '59 above is aluminum, but the frame itself is steel. Don't know about the ejector rod housing.

I & my sons have worn all the blue finish off the backstrap & most of the trigger guard over the past 58 years, but the gun still locks up tight & shoots where it is pointed.

rock185

They are fun little guns. I've owned 3 or 4. The last two were a 4 5/8" stainless, and currently a 4 5/8" blue version. I've never been particularly impressed with the accuracy of my Single-Six revolvers, but others report better results so perhaps it's the shooter.

BTW, I may be the only guy in the known world that shoots these little guns almost exclusively with .22 Magnum ammunition. I admit I have little interest in .22LR,. and enjoy shooting centerfires much more. The .22 WMR feels a little closer to the centerfires. The extra expense is not much of a factor since I don't shoot the .22 WMR all that much either.

Attachments

• .22 Mag. (9).JPG
    .22 Mag. (9).JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 26

44 AMP

Staff
Stainless or polished bright sights LOOK good on a stainless gun, but they are inferior in actual use to dark matt sights.

Differences in the way light reflects off polished sights (angle of the sun at time of shooting) can produce changed in the point of impact, vs point of aim.

That's the reason sights are usually matt black, and stippled or grooved to prevent or reduce glare.

Lots of us use black paint, or Sharpie markers to blacken bright sights. Sharpie works pretty well, lasts reasonably well, and is simple and easy to touch up holster wear. Just be sure to remove all oil from areas you intend to "paint".

OldScout

I bought the Ruger 22/22mag single six when I bought my Henry 22mag rifle. They made a great couple. My only problem was the slow loading and unloading the Ruger. But it is a very accurate pistol. And just for comparison of the 22lr and 22mag. The velocity of the 22mag at 100 yds is the same as the velocity of the 22lr at the muzzle.