Ruger Single-Six Convertible

Siggy-06

I was in the market to pick up another single action for plinking/hiking. I looked at several different options from Ruger: Single-ten, bearcat, blackhawks, all fine options. I stock .22 LR and short ammo so a .22 caliber was on my short list. I debated on barrel lengths and finishes for a good week before deciding on the Single-Six Convertible in stainless w/ 5.5 inch barrel, black laminate grips:

I'll be hitting the range and taking a few pictures within the next week or two. I certainly like the option to shoot .22 wmr with the extra cylinder. I may add some FO sights after the range trip if the stock ones arent to my liking. Leather holster in the works as well.

-Sig

Screwball

Only Ruger Convertible I have is a .45 New Vaquero... but very happy with it.

I did get a NAA Sidewinder Convertible... similar setup; .22 LR and .22 Magnum. While .22 Magnum isn't as cost effective as LR, it is definitely worth it to get both cylinders. Having a .22 Magnum revolver is costly to shoot, and having a .22 LR revolver is kind of a novelty... but both in the same revolver make it very flexible with need.

dgludwig

It varies with who's making them but my Winchester catalog shows a handgun with a 6 1/2" barrel having a muzzle velocity of 1480 fps with a WMR 40 grain bullet and a 6" barreled handgun having a muzzle velocity of 1085 fps with a High Velocity, .22rf 40 grain bullet; a significant difference of around 400 fps.

I purchased my Super Single Six Convertible sometime in the mid-seventies. I almost always carry it with the magnum cylinder.

Siggy-06

Thanks for the info dgludwig. I wish I had a chronograph. I'll be sure to shoot some shorts and longs as well.

Howdy

At last count I have three Single Sixes. It just so happens they are all the older Three Screw models.

singlesixes01_zpsf95a3385.jpg

This one came complete with the conversion cylinder and a bunch of ammo, as you can see, including a couple of boxes of Winchester 22 Magnum Rimfire.

singlesixwmr_zps51c710b9.jpg

To tell you the truth, I have never been interested in shooting 22 Mag ammo out of a revolver. Much too expensive for what you get. 22 LR has always been fine for me. I suppose I should shoot up some of that 22 Mag ammo that came with the longer barreled Single Six, but I guess I'm just not interested.

By the way, I notice you like to shoot 22 Shorts too. Hope you have a good supply because it has been impossible to buy any for the last few years. I have a brick of really old Remington 22 shorts, and just the other day I found some CCI 22 Shorts and even some CCI 22 CB Longs, which are incredibly mild. But until very recently the ammo makers have been too busy cranking out 22 LR to be making anything else.

Siggy-06

If anyone has a leather holster recommendation let me know. I'm looking at the simply rugged cattleman so far.

Armybrat

Ruger offers a nice Triple K brand holster.
Yep - ordered one for my New Vaquero this Spring. Not a bad buy for the $54.95 - decent quality even though it's not lined, and fits like a glove with its cool thumb break retention strap.
Bought another one for my OM Single Six when Shop Ruger ran a 20% off sale. Don't have a pic of that last one yet. The NV:

37025044fed4d158be803d884c89913f17088f3.JPG

dgludwig

, I have never been interested in shooting 22 Mag ammo out of a revolver. Much too expensive for what you get. 22 LR has always been fine for me.

400 or so more fps (mv) isn't exactly chopped liver when comparing the ballistics between the .22 Magnum rf and the .22rf out of a handgun. Too, the greatly increased cost and limited availability of .22rf in recent times (though, happily, these factors seem to be finally changing for the better) has made the cost comparison between the two cartridges even less easy to make.

I'm glad my Super Single Six can shoot both cartridges but for me, if I could only have one, it would be the Magnum, especially for hunting. Though I certainly concede that I would greatly miss having the versatile .22, especially for plinking and target shooting; in my case, I have plenty of "regular" .22 handguns around to handle those chores.

Last edited:

GeauxTide

El Paso Saddlery. Love my Bisley Convertible. Get a trigger job and it will drive tacks. To date, I've plugged a Crow at 75 yards.

billcarey

I have a Ruger holster for my 6.5" SSSix...very nice for the $$$. The hammer strap isn't typical of most. It has a "springy" metal tab backing the leather strap so you can flip it open without grabbing the tab. It convenient and fast. There is no metal on the inside to rub the gun like my Hunters and S&W holsters either.

jumpingeezer

Try "Pistol Packaging" for a nice, lined western style holster with a hammer thong. I have two of them for my Rugers and they have served me well for years.:)

cjwils

I had one of those once, but I never really bonded with it, so I sold it after a couple years. I was not happy about the significantly different point of impact when switching between LR and Mag. I understand there would be a vertical difference due to different velocity, but my gun also had a significant horizontal difference, and that is what bothered me.