Ruger sheriff's model.

mattL46

This is kind of a tough one. Ive had this "old vaquero" for 5-6 years now and the other day Iwas considering a trade at the LGS. He pulled out the blue book and we were thumbing through it and for the life of us couldn't find a 3-3/4" Vaquero in 45 Colt. This is a blue/case colored revolver. As mentioned 3-3/4" bbl. So anyhow I got home and researched it a bit not knowing of a sherrif's model until now. So I pulled out my blue book and looked and the only thing I could find is a vaquero "birds head model" with 3-3/4" for 357 mag and 4-5/8 for 45 colt.... hmmm. Mine is not a birds head. Standard grip frame with wood grips and the ruger bird logo. Any info on this guy cause I'm having a hard time pinning it down? Some of the research Ive found is they've only made 500 apiece blue/case color and Stainless.

Edit to add: according to wikipedia the limited run of 500 were produced in 1999 for "Davidson's" with a 3-3/4" bbl and shortened ejector rod and housing. Called the sheriffs model. This option was available in 2005. ( something like that anyhow). This makes even less sense to me considering the date on my factory fired cartridge envelope is 2002??? What the hell?

Last edited:

twhidd

Every year some of the firearms distributers such as Lipseys, Davidsons, Ellett Brothers, Talo, etc. will request special runs of certain guns of various configurations. These so-called "exclusives" will usually be limited to a few thousand units or less. It can sometimes be difficult to assign a value to those pieces.

Salmoneye

You can pinpoint the year by going to the Ruger site with your serial number...

Are you the original owner?

If not, grip frame swaps are simple, quick, and happen all the time...

mattL46

Interesting airman. Salmon eye I don't think I'm the original owner. I believe I bought it on consignment. I was told it was unfired and brand new in the box. Which I'm pretty ceartian it was. I'll do the serial number thing. I paid too much for it 5-6 years ago. Although I like it and its surely a unique configuration. Thanks for the info and replies gents.

45Colt_Man

Mine was made in 2000. Acusport Exclusive, Model 00512 Catalog KBNV-453-SI
stainless with Ivorex grips with scrimshaw Ruger logo. SN 57-772XX.

Dana

johnm1

Matt

I have never paid too much. I have bought firearms too soon though. Translation, they will all be worth what I paid sooner or later.;) Sometimes much later.

mattL46

Ha! Very good way to look at it john! I guess what I was saying is I caved to a greedy pawn shop. But it wasnt too crazy I guess!:rolleyes:

WardenWolf

Some of these exclusives can give you a very good deal. I got my Mark III Hunter from Davidson's. They had it in blue, which shaved $250 off the price. Ruger didn't offer the Mark III with those features and a blued finish.

Who knows who special-ordered it? Either way, Ruger will customize guns for big distributors, and the end result can be quite nice.

feets

My 7-1/2" Redhawk in 45 Colt was made in late 2012.
When was the last time you saw one of those listed in a catalog?

Ruger will build almost anything if you order enough of them.

BWM

You might check with Davidson guns. They have a lot of Ruger's . They have some made for them. They have a Vaquero Montado 3.75 in barrel square wood grips. They are a BIG Ruger dealer and they have guns made for them.

Last edited: