Ruger SBH or ??? in .45 Colt

HistoryJunky

I made a few posts about considering a Ruger SBH in .44 Magnum in the past. I have had thoughts of buying one for quite some time. As you all know, tax time is upon us. I do not currently own a revolver. I have always liked revolvers, but I am left-handed and this is a mild irritant.

This would not be a defense gun in any way. It would be for fun, and handgun hunting.

That being said, I also LOVE the classic looks of the Single Action Army and it's clones. I know they come in different calibers, but I'm looking for something that starts with a .4. I do not know a lot about the .45 Colt.

I am pretty unsure as to which would be a better bet. I have held a few variants of the SBH in a couple fun stores and it fits my hand pretty good. The trigger pull is excellent. I know it comes in a Bisley frame as well as standard and I do not know the advantages/disadvantages of either.

What route would you take, .44 Magnum or .45 Colt?

TMD

What does being left handed have to do with shooting a single action revolver or any revolver for that matter?

Bob Wright

I own, and shoot, both. My preference is towards the Super Blackhawk. I like the .44 Magnum and .45 Colt equally well. But I like the Super Blackhawk, and that's a .44 Magnum proposition. As to the .45 Colt, I have the Blackhawk converted to as near Super Blackhawk configuration as possible.

If you're not an experienced handloader, the the .44 Magnum is the best choice for you. For hunting, the .45 Colt is a good round, but takes judicious handloading to get the best results.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

What does being left handed have to do with shooting a single action revolver or any revolver for that matter?

For S&W revolvers, that means the latch must be operated with the forefinger, rather than the thumb. Also on Single Action revolvers, the revolver is held somewhat awkwardly in the right hand with the loading port uppermost.

Bob Wright

TMD

Been left handed all my life and never noticed it being an issue or awkward. Huh, I guess I learned something new.

jaguarxk120

Please do not forget the SBH can also be had in 454 and 480 Ruger.

They are five shot guns, but the power of those two calibers is outstanding.

Nice thing with the 454, it will also shoot lower power (?) 45 Colt.

HistoryJunky

Reloading

I own, and shoot, both. My preference is towards the Super Blackhawk. I like the .44 Magnum and .45 Colt equally well. But I like the Super Blackhawk, and that's a .44 Magnum proposition. As to the .45 Colt, I have the Blackhawk converted to as near Super Blackhawk configuration as possible.

If you're not an experienced handloader, the the .44 Magnum is the best choice for you. For hunting, the .45 Colt is a good round, but takes judicious handloading to get the best results.

I'm not what you would say experienced. I do make my own loads for 9mm, but I do not have a lot of experience at it.

I have noticed in my area that in off the shelf loadings, .44 Magnum is more common. I am getting more into reloading so I suppose it wouldn't really make a difference either way. I know the cost per round of either caliber is pretty extensive, so that will probably drive me to reload for it.

As for why being left handed matters with revolvers, it applies to pretty much anything. If you're using something designed for right handed people, it is awkward and irritating to operate. In a single-action revolver, it's not really relevant to me because I wouldn't ever use one to defend myself.

On a double action revolver, trying to reload one in a timely manner is, at least for me incredibly slow and awkward.

How close are the SBH and the standard Blackhawk in .45 Colt in weight? The SBH looks to be quite a big larger in frame size.

44 AMP

Staff
How close are the SBH and the standard Blackhawk in .45 Colt in weight? The SBH looks to be quite a big larger in frame size.

First off, be sure you are looking at the "standard" Blackhawk, not one of the smaller framed "flattop" models.

The Super with a 7.5" barrel is in my old books at 48oz. (or 47). The (new model) Blackhawk .45 with a 7.5" barrel is listed at 40 oz.

The frames are the same. The Super is heavier, intentionally, due to the unfluted cylinder, steel ejector rod housing and steel grip frame. The Blackhawk has an aluminum ejector rod housing and grip frame.

The Super has a wider grooved trigger, the Blackhawk trigger is slightly narrower and not grooved. The Super has a wider hammer spur, and is slightly lower than the hammer spur of the Blackhawk.

For many years the Super was only available with the dragoon triggerguard, unfluted cylinder and 7.5" barrel. Today you can get a new one with either style triggerguard, and cylinder, in several different barrel lengths.

.44 Magnum ammo is more common on the shelves. Handloading allows essentially the same power in both .44 and .45 Colt, but ONLY in the large frame Ruger Blackhawks.

Smaller frame guns in .45 Colt are not strong enough for .44 Mag power level loads.

I've had .45 Blackhawks since 83 and a Super maybe a decade after that. As far as I'm concerned, either is the best single action there is, for the money they ask.

KEYBEAR

I shoot a lot of 44 Mag and have for over 50 years I also reload . I load 240 gr lead a 1000 lead bullets cost me $112.00 to my door . I also load 45 Colt just not so much . The 44 Mag is a very easy round to load for you can load as soft as you like same with the 45 Colt . But try as you may you can not load a 45 Colt to equal the power of the 44 Mag . Bottom line is both the 45 Colt and 44 Mag are great rounds but only one can do more or less up to the reloader .

HiBC

They are all good.
What is it you want to achieve? A Redhawk is stronger.If you really want to push for hunting power ,a Redhawk can push a .454 Casull or 45 Colt loads beyond a SBH. However,that is NOT my goal. I had my hands on a beautiful Freedom Arms .454 for a bit. Trust me,a 454 Casull is not for beginners and most other people.In my experience,we know what "enough" is when we find
"too much" (spare me the"load it down" speech)

45 Colt Yup,its a fine hunting cartridge in a SBH. What are you hunting?What bullets will you use? Generally,through penetration at 1000 fps is about the same as through penetration at 1250 fps with a handgun.Are you after chrono numbers or through penetration?

Loading down for targets.It can work,but the 45 Colt case is big,for black powder.Load density is an issue.IMO,the 45 Colt is not quite as good for lighter loads.

Super Blackhawk,.44 Mag!! If I was down to my boots and one gun,the SBH might be it.I've had 40 years of fun with mine.

However! New to handguns...Mostly for the range,and you might hunt.OK. Hunt what? A deer? And you will handload?.
I suggest you consider a .44 Special "Lipsey Special" Bisley.

Ruger now calls it the what? Flattop Bisley .44 spl? Built on a.357 frame.A little more of a "companion sidearm" for the holster.

Can shoot loads in the "warmer" zone.Its not a 44 Magnum. But its a lot stronger than a Charter Arms.
With the right loads,you can safely get 1000 fps with a 240 gr bullet.
But for 95% of the time,or more! You can enjoy the "Skeeter Skelton" load .
I have both guns,the Lipsey and the SBH. These days.the Lipsey is usually the chosen tool.

Last edited:

Pathfinder45

Left-Handed versus Right-Handed

Left-handedness really can be an issue that takes practice to adapt. Typical double-action revolvers are made for a right-handed world. I am completely left-handed for certain things, somewhat ambidextrous for some things, and predominantly right-handed for most tasks. I own and heavily use a single action Ruger Vaquero 45, and used to have a BlackHawk and Colt SAA also in 45 Colt. And I gotta tell ya, whether it was intentional, or accidental, the Single action is ideal for left-handed shooters. Us right-handed fellows have to overcome our handicap to load and un-load them. If I was really left-handed, and wasn't a reloader, I would run a single-action revolver quite a bit differently than I do. It's not unlike the different and awkward ways I've seen left-handed shooters use a right-handed bolt-action rifle. HistoryJunky, the single-action was MADE FOR YOU.

mmb713

Ruger single action revolvers, as well as the Colt SAA and its clones, are left handed guns. Fun gun fact, both Sam Colt and Bill Ruger were left handed.

You can't go wrong with either the 44 Magnum or the 45 Colt in a Ruger revolver. I prefer the 45 Colt and have a Blackhawk and a Redhawk so chambered. Both are handloading propositions. The 45 Colt has much more data available for light loads, with a separate section for hot loads. Most publishers of 44 Magnum data assume you want magnum loads and their data reflects that. Most publishers assume if you want light loads you will just use special cases. You can find light loads for 44 Magnum cases but not as easily as will for 45 Colt. A hot loaded 45 Colt will handle most anything the 44 Magnum will, and do it with a bigger bullet and less blast. Don't forget the 45 Colt bullet is bigger than the 44 Magnum than the 44 is bigger than the 41 Magnum.

Sevens

A few things occur to me...
If you don't handload either .44 Mag or .45 Colt but you do handload 9mm, here is the news: you now handload either .44 Mag or .45 Colt. Whatever savings you have gained by loading 9mm will be DWARFED by the colossal, ridiculous savings you will experience with .44 Mag or .45 Colt. Buy used brass, skip all factory ammo.

Next is the left handed/right handed thing. While I can see your argument about the time and patience in reloading with "the opposite hands", that too is a royally moot point if you bring a Redhawk in to this discussion. A double-action revolver with a cylinder that opens and chucks out all the brass is faster to unload/reload even if you had one hand and were blind.

I think either .44 Mag or .45 Colt is a good choice, I would say that .44 Mag opens you to more available and affordable reloading components (bullet selection and brass) but I also believe that .45 Colt, especially in a big Ruger revolver covers a much wider spectrum of ability than .44 Mag, but either would be better in a Redhawk.

HistoryJunky

Left-handedness really can be an issue that takes practice to adapt. Typical double-action revolvers are made for a right-handed world. I am completely left-handed for certain things, somewhat ambidextrous for some things, and predominantly right-handed for most tasks. I own and heavily use a single action Ruger Vaquero 45, and used to have a BlackHawk and Colt SAA also in 45 Colt. And I gotta tell ya, whether it was intentional, or accidental, the Single action is ideal for left-handed shooters. Us right-handed fellows have to overcome our handicap to load and un-load them. If I was really left-handed, and wasn't a reloader, I would run a single-action revolver quite a bit differently than I do. It's not unlike the different and awkward ways I've seen left-handed shooters use a right-handed bolt-action rifle. HistoryJunky, the single-action was MADE FOR YOU.

I have never owned a single action revolver, but I will have to find out for myself after I make my purchase. I hope you're right.

I take that back, I did own a 44 caliber cap and ball BP revolver. It was one of the most fun guns to shoot I've ever had.

As for the purpose, yes it is mainly for target shooting and some deer hunting next winter. I have heard of .44 Special but it is more difficult to find store bought loads. I do not know about reloading for it.

Can't you shoot .44 Special out of .44 Magnum revolvers anyways? If so, it seems like I could work my way up to magnum loads if they are too much for me at first.

Also, I am not new to shooting handguns. I have been shooting semi auto pistols, and a few double action revolvers for about 5 years. I just have never really owned an SA revolver in a large caliber before. The heaviest I've shot was a .357 Magnum, not too much.

HiBC

This is an article about the Ruger 44 SPL Lipsey Special.It began as a special run of guns for a distributor named Lipsey.Ruger now offers it as a catalogue item.
Elmer Keith was experimenting with hot 44 SPL loads and talked S+W into doing something about it.The longer 44 Magnum was born.

If you need/want the full push and roar of the .44 Magnum,get the SBH.
If a smaller,lighter big bore handgun that will take care of business just fine is interesting,check this option out.
The article goes into a side track about thread choking and bore lapping,etc.Its a 2010 article and I would not worry about all that.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ross-seyfried-lipseys-ruger-flattop-44-special-bisley-revolvers/

I will also get you a link to Starline brass.

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/44-Special-Brass/index.cfm

That's 500 at $20 a hundred,free shipping.Its excellent brass.I'd expect at least 12 loadings
Cast bullets are all you need. Any good 240 gr Keith will work if it fits your handgun.I would probably not worry about gas checks.Not really needed.
I'm guessing a box of 500 might be $70,+ or - $10
The Skeeter load is 7.5 gr Unique.There are 7000 gr in a lb.An lb of powder might be $ 25 Good for 900 + rounds
A thousand primers,maybe $35

You might find bullets cheaper, but $100 for virgin brass,$130 for 1000 bullets,$35 for primers and $25 for powder will get you near 1000 loaded rounds and many years worth of brass .That's about $300 dollars including some Lee dies.
Which is about $15 for 50. Find .44 mags at Walmart,or 45 Colt,for that!
Take up bullet casting,and its cheaper yet.
There are a lot of sources for cast bullets No reason I chose this one. Berry's,3D,other folks here may have a favorite$ 129 per 1000.These guys offer .430 dia.I bougt a bunch of .431 240 gr Lasercast long ago.
http://www.cheycastbullets.com/44cal-Keith-Style-SWC-240gr_p_149.html

With that load,IIRC,its a 240 gr bullet at 950 fps.Thats a +P 45 ACP.

This article will fill you in on loading the 44 SPL. Per the author,the Lipsey I suggest CAN use any of the three levels of loading

http://www.goodrichfamilyassoc.org/44_Special_Articles/Brian Pearce on the 44 Special.pdf

Note,te Skeeter load at about 950 fps? for 7.5 gr of powder is a great,practical,cheap load.

Per the above article,you can fling that same bullet 1100 fps+.Its NOT a .44 Magnum,but it is quite enough for most folks,most purposes.

Last edited:

Pathfinder45

44 Magnum versus 45 Colt

Well, the 44 magnum is a lot of power from a revolver, too much in fact, for most shooters to handle well. However, 44 Special ammunition is commonly, and safely fired in the 44 magnum revolvers. To the person that loads his own ammo, there is no difficulty in loading nice, light, target ammo in the magnum case. Conversely, most commercial 45 Colt ammunition is loaded to much lower pressure and velocity, making it a lot more comfortable to shoot than the magnum. In the very strong Blackhawk revolver, the handloading enthusiast can have a field day with hotter loads that handily match the 44 magnum for power, along with the same heavy recoil. You can also get the Blackhawk with an extra cylinder for 45ACP.
While I'm a 45 Colt guy all the way, I recognize that the 44 magnum is probably a better choice for most shooters, probably 2 out of 3 shooters.
But they both have their own unique qualities and challenges, and can often do the same jobs.

Last edited:

tallball

I own both. They both have 7.5" barrels. I like them both a lot...and slightly prefer the SBH because I prefer larger heavier handguns. I usually shoot my FiL's 44 special handloads out of it.

The 45 Blackhawk is very nice, though. I have the "convertible" model that also has a 45acp cylinder. That's the one I usually use, because he doesn't reload 45colt.

They are both excellent revolvers with good triggers and more accurate than I am. It's pretty much win/win. If you reload, it doesn't really matter. If you don't end up reloading for it, the 45acp round is by far the cheapest of the bunch.

44 AMP

Staff
While I respect the .44 Special, I would not recommend you buy one, because, other than its use in .44 Magnum guns, it is even more of a niche round than the .45 Colt.

Full power .44 Special is a 240gr bullet in the 700fps range. You can, carefully load it up some, but if you are going to do that, why not just get the magnum to start with??? And once you start shooting the big bores, its almost impossible to not think about the magnum. For some folks, getting the Special is simply a delay in getting what they should have gotten all along, the magnum. Because the Magnum IS a .44 Special, and more....

Another point, if you get the Magnum, and decide that a smaller, lighter Special only gun better suits your needs, the market for the used magnum is bigger than that for a Special.

HistoryJunky

Thank you all for your opinions and links. After researching things a little more I'm certain I will go with the .44 Magnum SBH. HiBC thank you for your links about the .44 Special. I will probably pursue loading it when I first start shooting .44 Magnum. I'm sure my first cylinder of magnum loads will be an eye opener.

Like everything else, it will be a challenge, but a fun one.

Do you guys recommend the Bisley frame or the standard grip frame? What are the pluses and minuses to each?

jackmoser65

Ruger single action revolvers, as well as the Colt SAA and its clones, are left handed guns. Fun gun fact, both Sam Colt and Bill Ruger were left handed.
This is pure myth. Samuel Colt did not design his guns for the tiny minority of left handed shooters, nor would the army have bought guns designed for that tiny minority of shooters. Colt was also long dead before the dawn of the cartridge revolver. The loading gate of the cartridge guns was a carryover from the capping cutout of the percussion guns. Which was placed on the right side so that the more dexterous right hand could be used for capping.