• No, don't buy it.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Buy something else.

Votes: 10 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

madmo44mag

I am a huge Ruger fan.
I tried for many years to blow up a 44 SBH and never did and destroyed 2 model 29’s.
Almost 20 years ago I walked in my favorite pawn shop and there sat a RH 44 mag in like new condition. Not one mark on the cylinder and no discolor to the front of the cylinder; less than 50 rounds down the barrel was my guess.
The pawn shop wanted 350.00 and I offered 225.00.
3 month later I owned it for 235.00 because they could not move it out the door.
I shoot it more than any other 44 mag revolver I own.
With a little trigger work they have a awesome trigger.
Buy,buy, buy and if ya don’t like it shoot it more, you will learn to love it.

stagpanther

Stag, once your burn the powder I feel good. 16, 18, or 20" should all burn the full powder load of a .44 magnum. My concern with a 3-4" .44m is suffering recoil without appropriate performance increases. Even a 12" barrel is probably getting the nominal velocity of the cartridge.
Like any load depends on the speed of the powder and how well it ignites--I have some FANTASTIC lil'gun loads that can send huge fireballs out of my SBH or rossi. :D Even so--the difference between firing a full-power load out of my SBH and the carbine is the difference between night and day for me; recoil is vastly reduced through a lever gun even though the carbine has a steel butt-plate and weighs 4.8 lbs. My rossi generally likes hot loads at the top of the charge range the best. If you do decide to get one--if at all possible examine it before plunking yer money down--see if the GS will let you work the action--preferrable with a dummy cartridge if possible--to check the action function. Also, sight the gap between the magazine tube and the bottom of the barrel--the magazine tube is held in place by the magazine cap screw which can be tool long or over-torgued--placing undue pressure upon the barrel and throwing the accuracy of your barrel off. The gap will show unevenness if the magazine tube is not properly attached. Mine was a nightmare when I first got it--couldn't shoot under 7" at 25 yds--but once I figured out the problem it can shoot MOA or better at 100 with the right load--something to behold with a 245 gr or better Keith style bullet. :D

TimSr

It looks like you've shot it plenty in the years you've owned it, how has the action been for you? Has it improved much over time and how was it when you got it? I'm really interested in the DA pull of the Redhawk and the single spring design is why I chose it over the Super Redhawk.

This one has had thousands of rounds through it. Still shoots way better than my eyes can see out to 100 yards. When it was new, I shot almost exclusively double action, even when hunting, because I could shoot tighter groups. I have since been able to get a smoother single action release. Tried the lighter spring thing for a short time in the 80's, but got too many light strike misfires, so went back to stock spring. Originally had wood grips which were kind of okay. Tried Hogue, and hated them. Love the Pacmyers.

It's a pleasure to shoot, and I've become totally immune to recoil of the years, so full power loads is all it gets, usually cast now, but sometimes XTP's when I carry it for deer.

mmb713

I bought one in 45 Colt to go with my Blackhawk. A match made in heaven. Since you already have a SBH in 44 Magnum the real question is why wouldn't you get a Redhawk in 44 to go with it. You can't answer that question can you?