• No, don't buy it.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Buy something else.

Votes: 10 12.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sequins

Hello friends,

Has anyone got any opinions on the Redhawk in .44 Magnum? I've got a .44 SBH and I adore it so much that lately I've been thinking I ought to get a DA option in this caliber.

I've got a line on a decent price for the Redhawk and I'm intrigued by its novel action, but I've never shot one so I'm coming to you for answers and opinions. Is the novel action of merit? And more importantly is it a fun, accurate shooter?

Navistar

I have a S&W 629 that I really enjoy but I only shoot it in single action. Double action is great for faster follow-up shots but are you shooting 44mag that fast?

psyfly

By all means, get one.

I worked my way into mine (Ruger Alaskan, Redhawk 7.5", and, finally, pretty darn close to perfection) John Gallagher Custom @ 21 feet:

attachment.php

I submit that, in addition to being both accurate and gorgeous, it's actually (for a .44 magnum) something of a soft shooter;).

W

BBarn

I've had a few over the years, and still have a couple. I like the 5 1/2" versions, the 7 1/2", not so much. The ones I had were reasonably tight with decent accuracy.

dgludwig

I've had mine for several decades and still carry it a lot when I'm in bear territory. I prefer the 7 1/2" barrel length. In a good, high-mounted holster, the extra couple of inches rides well on me and I appreciate the milder muzzle blast as compared to the 5 1/2" length, plus you do get a few extra fps in velocity if it matters to you (it probably shouldn't).

Mike / Tx

I have Redhawk's in 41 and 44 magnum and the 45 Colt. I would have the .357 if they weren't so out of sight, simply because I like them so much.

I hunt with mine and I carry one around on the farm in a nylon Bianchi holster. All of mine are of the 7.5" persuasion as I find them very nice to shoot as well as I like the added length. The caliber doesn't matter to me since they all shoot so close to one another. I have loaded from mild to wild in both the 41 and 44 but the 45 stays at or just above standard 45 Colt loads.

If you get one, you might as well start considering which one of the others you might want next and start to save.

Kreyzhorse

You have a SBH and if you love it, why buy a Redhawk? You'd likely shoot the Redhawk in single action most of the time anyway. I voted to try something new.

Ruger480

I have one. I'm considering buying another I like it so much. I got this one used and I'm thinking I'd like to have one NIB.

dschifan

First .44 I have ever shot. It was my dad's he had some different grips on it can't Remember which ones but it was a awesome piece.

black mamba

I've had a 5½" Redhawk in 44 mag and a 4" Redhawk in 45 Colt, and they were the two worst revolvers I've ever owned (out of several dozen). I wear a large or XL sized glove, and the reach to the trigger is way too long, even for me. The trigger is also so rounded that it is uncomfortable to shoot, as it digs in to my finger. And both trigger pulls were off the charts horrible, both hard and creepy. Do yourself a favor and DON'T BUY A REDHAWK!

SansSouci

I sure would entertain picking up a Redhawks in .41 Rem Mag. But who the heck listens to me anyway? Some 25 years ago I wrote to Smith & Wesson asking for a 5-shot .41 Rem Mag on an "L" Frame. `

Sequins

Well, I went ahead and ordered it. I'll post some photos when it arrives and I go out shooting. I really think I'll shoot it mostly DA as a contrast to the SBH so I like idea of having both. It seems like there are a lot of satisfied owners out there which is certainly encouraging, and I adore Ruger revolvers so I expect I'll be quite pleased.

Ed: I chose the 7.5" standard (non-hunter) Redhawk. I really like the lines on it and at 54oz it'll be a pleasing gun to shoot I hope. Very excited!

Last edited:

RiponP90

Buy it! And then let me go to the range with you. Oh, you bought it. When do we go to the range? :p Can't wait to see pics!

Scorch

I have owned a 5" Redhawk for 33 years. I sold my other large-frame revolvers when I got it. It is a great handgun.

Pond James Pond

My Redhawk initially started out as a default buy as it was a good price and the gun I had wanted had been sold already. I soon regretted buying it as it really hurt shooting it.

I ask on TFL for advice.
I got some.
I applied it.
I promptly regretted regretting buying it!!
:D

It is now my favourite handgun and I struggle to imagine a situation where I'd willingly get rid of it.

So, YES.
Buy it!!
(4" is an excellent size, although 5.5" is pretty nice too. I have the 4")