Ruger Quality a thing of the past?

Glock_Racer

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I have six Rugers that perform flawlessly since the day I bought em, and they work even better with upgraded parts :D

MiniZ

I think there is a general decline in quality control(at least here in the US-I don't have experience with any new European models, so I will not comment). I haven't had a problem with any of my US manufactured pistols, but with the exception of a Kimber, I haven't bought a new pistol in over 10 years-just lightly used older models.

Zane

CZ_

No complaints here

I've owned 9 Rugers (I currently have 5 Rugers), and I've never had any functioning problems. Sure, the fit and finish isn't good on most of them, and they have iffy triggers; but, at least they work well. In fact, every Ruger was reliable and very sturdy (no parts breakages yet).

I've had more problems with the more expensive brands...particularly a POS Smith & Wesson autoloaders--the 457. I've also had a defective Glock (17), but I currently have two good Glocks so I assume the defective one was one of the rare "lemons".

Point being that every manufacture produces lemons. Now as to the theory that Ruger QC has gone down recently, I don't know the answer. I've been lucky to have only good ones, but I do know fellow shooters who have had problems with their new Rugers. I think we need a large sample size before passing judgement.

xraymongral

A year or two ago there was a post on rec.guns from a fellow who claimed to be a employee of Ruger. I had the post saved, but lost it in a hard drive crash. I do not remember all the details, but here is what I do recall.

He stated that when Ruger moved production to Arizona, they lost many/all of there long time employees, replacing them with lower waged employees from the Arizona job pool. There quality control went thru a few differnt incarnations to become more efficent, ie. lower reject rates. The bottom of the barrel was when Ruger started paying there QA inspectors per the piece passed. He stated that this did not last to long. There were a few other details which I do not recall. All in all, the post left you with the distinct impression that Ruger had succombed to "Bean Counter" manufacturing. I suspect that some of the people making key decisions are not gun people , but rather folks that deal with Rugers larger business of production casting.

I can't say that I have looked at any new Rugers, as I won't buy a gun from Anti-American Bill Ruger, but I have a older Blackhawk which is top notch, a older 10-22 thats is OK, and a Mk. II Goverment Model that is again, OK. I also have to say that I never looked to Ruger as a "High Quality" manufacturer, but rather a name brand lowend company. My attitude would probaby be differnt if I was older and had been exposed to more of the older, higher quality Rugers that were apparantly more commen in the 1970's and earlier.

Ben Shepherd

A little off tangent here, but:

Anyone considered Freedom Arms out of Wyoming? More expensive than Ruger? Yes, but MUCH higher quality from what I've seen. I've got an SRH 44mag. and I love the gun. Never had a problem.
But when I deceided to step up to 454 casull, I ordered one from Freedom Arms. If they still made Rugers like my dads 3 screw blackhawk, I would have went with a SRH. If Rugers weren't really tough loading manuals wouldn't have sections labeled "RUGER & T/C ONLY". But I plan on using max loads for hunting with the 454, So I went with the Freedom Arms piece, as I belive they are about the toughest revolvers built at the present time.

my 2 cents.

Poodleshooter

I have 2 handguns and 2 rifles from Ruger. My M77MkII had extractor troubles. A trip back to the factory for refitting solved that issue. The other's have had no problems.