Ruger Precision Rifle

kraigwy

I don't normally jump on the band wagon when new rifles are introduced but this one is the exception

Ruger, in the Spirit of Bill Ruger himself introduces a modest price rifle allowing most anyone to get into Precision Rifle Shooting where most rifles for this game cost $5000 and north to be competitive.

http://ruger.com/intro.html

The Suggested Retail Price is $1300 or so but they are already hitting the gun stores for less they $1000.

I got interested when I saw a write up from an individual who normally condemns "cheep" rifles. As a proponent of shooting sports shouldn't be a rich man's sport, I was surprised of his review.

Then I started reading everything I could on this rifle. This months (Aug 2015) also has a write up on it.

I believe it warrants a look-see to any budget minded person looking to get into Precision Rifle Shooting.

It defiantly made it to the top of my " gonna get" list.

Come in 243, 308, & 6.5 Creedmoor. I was searching for a Model 70 Win Action to build a 260 Rem when my wife attended the Gunwerks Long Range Shooting school. They gave her the Creedmoor to use and she was quite impressed. She said it was quite easy to get hits at 1000 yards and beyond, with not recoil. (she had broken back and has 3-rods between her shoulder blades and she and recoil don't play well together)

Since I've been studying the 6.5 CM and pretty much picked it over the 260.

In the NRA article mentioned above they tested three types of ammo, all were under the 1 MOA mark, the average group of the three was 0.76.

Those groups would work quite well on an 8 inch gong past 1000 yards.

I don't sell this gun (or any other guns) I don't own one (yet), I have no dog in the fight except to say with this rifle you don't have to be Donald Trump to afford a Long Range Precision Rifle.

Nathan

I too was impressed. Would love to have in 6.5 CM. even if not perfect OOTB, a new barrel would make it incredible.

At .76 MOA, I would shoot and enjoy!

Rancid

0.76 is really not that great for a "precision rifle". I have several out-of-the-box bolt guns at half the price that shoot better than that with factory ammo. And they tested it with the 6.5 CM!! I doubt the .308 will group as well? Most likely closer to 1 inch @ 100. I picked up a brand new in the box 6.5 CM in a Wby S2 for $499 plus shipping and on a good day I have shot a .43 inch 5 shot group @100. On avg it shoots right at 0.57. That is with Hornady AMAX match.

Remove the stock and there isn't much there. Basically a Ruger American with a No. 3 barrel. I didn't check but I assume it comes with a sub-MOA guarantee?

Jimro

Kraigwy,

I was looking at getting one in 6.5 Creedmoor as well.

It seems to be the Ruger American Predator with a more adjustable stock for prone shooting. The Predator version has been seen in the wild for under 500, and basically looks like a "poor man's Steyr SSG-69" to me.

I think this is aimed directly at the Savage F Class, Palma, and BA lineup of rifles.

Rancid, "precision" is a relative term. Getting an average group size of 0.76 MOA with factory ammo is pretty darn good considering most of the folks who will shoot long range competitively with these types of rifles are hand loaders.

Jimro

kraigwy

Jim,

Let me know how the Ruger American works out. I do like the looks of it better.

Also I saw a show on one of the outdoor shows where they had a Long Range Class before a hog hunt, all the guys were using the Ruger American and were getting good hits past 800 yards.

It looks like it may be a better alternative.

I'm going to the CMP Advanced Maintenance class Aug 7-9 and have to pay for the Special grade I build, so I have time if you want to be the genie pig and get the American first.

agtman

Didn't see the write-up, but I understand the Ruger LR PR uses a detachable mag.

Is it proprietary to Ruger, a AICS mag, or one of the commonly available MagPul 7.62s (SR-25 type)? Anyone know?

Thanks.

That's what makes this chassis so great!
It uses a patented mag well that will accept Magpul Pmags, AICS mags, SR25 mags, M110 mags, and DPMS mags, with no modifications or swapping of parts...

WOW... I like that "concept"... I don't like the AR parts interchange ( hand guard I believe ) & while the stock is highly adjustable... would you guys with this type of stock find yourselves adjusting it every time you use it, or is it a set it for you & your type of shooting & forget it ???

reason I ask, is I built this ( yes, you've seen it before ) but my goal was something similar to this rifle, the custom, stock is sized to fit me ( & I'm not loaning it out :) )... I just don't like the mechanical look... just curios if it's something you find you need to adjust all the time... even if you needed to adjust it each time out... the stock looks too much like a "C" clamp to me :confused:

my rifle getting glass bedded right now, & the barrel floated... if it doesn't shoot like I want, the barrel will get replaced...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=99036&d=1432119544

Last edited:

bamaranger

article

Just got my "Rifleman" and read the article on the new Ruger rifle. My first thought was all the money I have put into assembling a "blue collar" F-T/R rifle (very basic) and what I could have saved (and how much more accuracy I might have gained) if this rifle had been out 5 years ago!

Ahh well...... what with the cost of slugs, and my poor wind call ability, likely wouldn't have made much difference, I haven't shot that much FTR lately anyhow.

My only gripe is that the .308 version will apparently only have a 20" tube, which will effect .308 velocities with heavy bullets, at 600 yds and beyond. No doubt Ruger is hoping for the LEO market with the .308 as a counter sniper, designated marksman piece, so the shorter tube makes a bit of sense for urban use. But longer .308 tube would have benefitted the FTR crowd. A longer barreled .308 might sell more rifles.

tobnpr

Here's the REAL difference, IMO, that sets this rifle apart from anything else past or present...

Ruger really thought "outside the box" for this.

Instead of a traditional bolt action, nested in a chassis- they INTEGRATED the two. Smart- really smart.

Just like some manufacturers began integrating picatinny rails right into their receivers, Ruger decided to integrate the receiver right into a "chassis". All one piece- recoil directed straight back into the buttstock. No skim bedding, no recoil lug. Inaccuracy/inconsistency is often due to receiver stress, receiver moving under recoil, etc.

These issues that have plagued bolt guns since the beginning of time, just vanish with this design.

Ingenious.

If it weren't for the price point, they'd integrate that 20 moa rail into the one-piece design as well. Don't be surprised if it happens next.

would you guys with this type of stock find yourselves adjusting it every time you use it, or is it a set it for you & your type of shooting & forget it ???

LOP isn't usually adjusted much- adjustable cheek is usually set and forget, unless changing shooting position (bench to prone) where cheekweld positioning may change.

The other advantage is it's set up to add a monopod if the shooter desires.

Last edited:

zeke

While some may take a poor view the futuristic/non traditional look, people who need to shorten stocks/set back scopes on their rifles might consider it extremely useful.

Taking a high buck rifle and shortening lop down to 12-12.5 inches hurts resell value on rifles, quite a bit.

Is this an affordable rendition of a "tube" rifle? Uses commonly available/inexpensive mags? If regular AR stocks will fit it, shouldn't the Ruger stock be useable on a AR? Would love to have commercial spec version of the Ruger stock on my Rock River.

Am gonna wait to see if the production versions work out, after the big media blitz intro. Look what happened to Remington's rush to buy semi auto 9mm.

Will some see a desire to cut down the folding stock 308 version and add a suppressor?

5RWill

Kraig my good friend i couldn't agree more. The price/performance of this rifle is unmatched as of right now and gives people who couldn't compete in PRS due to price an invitation to come on without the associated price tag.

I'll be picking one up in .243 or 6.5CM haven't decided yet. Largely because i want a full size .243, the family could use it, and have an action set aside to build a 6.5CM ground up. I could run comp with either my .308 or .243. Either way i have to get it set up with the brake for my 30CB9.

Would really like to see 6CM instead of .243. I think we'll see barrel offerings regardless. Magwell is also awesome, not having to shell out 80$ for an AICS is huge as well.

If i was someone starting from scratch seriously getting into competition. I'd go pick up an RPR, Bushnell HDMR, Harris Bipod, RCBS Reloading kit, and have at it.

Last edited:

tobnpr

The price/performance of this rifle is unmatched as of right now and gives people who couldn't compete in PRS due to price an invitation to come on without the associated price tag.

Well, not really so. Not to take anything away from the Ruger, but out-of-the-box, competition capable is not new to this rifle.

While not as "tacticool", the Savage Model 12 LRP line of rifles has about the same street price, and is a proven 1000 yard rifle that shoots in the neighborhood of 1/2 minute. I'd like to see a head-to-head in 6.5 CM with the Hornady ammo- and my money would be on the Savage. They're also available in .260 and .243.

5RWill

The savage model 12 isn't offering DBM. Less i missed something and they started offering it with quality DBM. In that regard i have to disagree. When i reference competition i'm not talking F-class though and that is not what this rifle is aimed at. This rifle is aimed at PRS, practical/tactical rifle competitions that require shooting from barricades, multiple shot strings with mags, unknown distance shoots, movers, etc. In regards to getting into PRS it is unrivaled for the money. The rifle is being sold all around for 1000$ with a folding stock, adjustable LOP, adjustable cheek riser, quality DBM that can take alpha, AICS, Magpul, M1A, DPMS, etc. mags, 1/2 MOA accuracy with factory ammo, threaded barrel, and interchangeable parts due to the AR-like design. The only questionable part is really the trigger.

Not to take away from the Savage 12 model they're an accurate rifle but besides accuracy i would say it's outclassed in every other facet for what PRS shooters are interested in. Which again this is what this rifle was designed for. Not to say you couldn't shoot F class with the ruger.

Last edited:

Hunter Customs

It's a little like the MBR from Riverman Gunworks, but has several features the MBR does not have, plus it's half the price.

I like the features and looks the rifle has, may have to consider one in 243.

tobnpr

Blackops,

The 12 LRP does come with a DBM, but I believe it's the small (5 round, I think- I have one leftover from another action that was put in an AICS).

Here is one with a ten round:

IMAG0627.jpg

Not saying that any Savages are used, don't know. I was just making a point about out-of-the-box accuracy, for which (IMO) Savage has been the bellwether. If Ruger knocks them off that pedestal, good for them.
Competition is a good thing.

I haven't seen anything guaranteeing 1/2 minute accuracy. If so, GA Precision might need to start looking for another market niche. I had heard of the PRS, but never actually looked into the specifics of it, so I went to their site.
Interesting competition...but it looks like many, if not most, of the shooters are still using "traditional" bolt guns with Manners/McMillan (style) stocks.

If the Ruger starts placing in the competition, that'll be the proof. It is an amazing value. If there are areas of rapid fire in that competition, it will be interesting to see how the barrel handles it.

Last edited:

5RWill

I didn't realize the 12 came with DBM are the mags reliable? Good looking rifle you have there Tobnpr. If not you who's ever it is, it's a good looking rifle.

There haven't been any guarantees but 1/2 MOA isn't really hard to achieve with handloads for any rifle if the barrel is quality. At least in my experience. Both my Sako and 5R are shooting 1/2 MOA. With my 5R shooting below 1/2 MOA. Frank was getting well below 1/2 MOA with 3-shot groups dunno about five. He also said JasonK shot one of the best group he's ever shot at distance with this rifle. So far results with factory ammunition at least for the 6.5CM have been great. My point is frank said that he would use this rifle in competition and i would take his word for it. Though i don't have the money right now so we'll have to see how things turn out. Guys are just now getting theirs in.

I don't think the custom rifle market has anything to worry about. There will be that want for craftsmanship and 1/4th MOA grouping and that guarantee that the rifle isn't the limiting factor. I still plan to build my 6.5CM from the ground up with the McM A5 i'm using. Put my barreled action 5R into a Manners with their mini-chassis. Yeah most are still using McM or manners including myself it's my preferred stock. The RPR is more like a chassis/tube gun hybrid. Reminds me a lot of the XLR evolution. But it's a good starting point because it offers so much versatility with it being AR based. There again the magwell is awesome. There is no other magwell on bolt guns i'm aware of that can take any mag like the RPR.

I agree savage still owns the out of the box accuracy. Ruger could be on to something here. As i said in the other thread i'm pretty surprised this came by Ruger and can't wait to see how Savage or Remington responds.

I doubt Ruger starts placing in competition for a while less they get a pro to use the rifle. That's not to discredit the rifle. It's just i don't see experienced shooters with custom guns dropping them to use this, and guys new to PRS like myself wont be winning it. Long Range shooting has and always will be a indian more so than the bow and arrow. I'm not saying you don't need good equipment, you do. I'm saying i'll bet everything i have Terry Cross could give me his rifle and i could give him mine, or in our case an RPR and he absolutely whoops me in every facet shooting a match.

Buddy of mine that shoots PRS with wants me to get the RPR so i can start. Mainly he wants me to start getting plenty of practice. Understandably so. Farthest i've ever shot is 600yds and it was prone/bipod.
I will likely use my 5R, as i've put lots of money into it getting it bedded and adding DBM/Bolt knob. Plus it just shoots with the loads i'm running. Who knows though .243 would be easier in regards to wind. I have plenty of 105gr VLDs too.