Ruger pistols, military use?

Castaway

If I remember correctly, about a year or so ago, the Tank and Automotive Command (TACOM) ordered a bunch for their guard force. Not strictly a military applicartion as the guards are civilians.

BlueTrain

Ruger revolvers were used by the army for a while. Actually, revolvers were widely used by the army since the beginning of WWII, mostly in .38 Special. The old 1917 revolvers were used again during WWII and in fact I have a photo of my father wearing one in a reverse draw holster. Some revolvers in .38 S&W were apparently also used.

Texshooter

I don't know if you are referring to the U.S. of A. forces, but seems I remember back when we went to 9mm, before the trials, that some official type guys visited Mr. Ruger's office.

They told him of the trials, and word has it they also told him of all the social, political, and pistol requirements that would have to be satisfied to get the contract.

It is said that at that point Mr. Ruger advised these official type people to stick certain things into very interesting places and to get the hades out of his office.

Can't prove it, but that was the word on the street.

JR47

TACOM bought 5500 of them. Some of them ended up with armored units in Iraq. While Ruger semi-autos haven't made quite the dent in military circles, the revolvers were used in USAF, USN, and Army CID. They were also used by the US Marshalls, Border Patrol, Immigration and Forestry. Customs had a special serial number for their purchase of Security-Six revolvers.

I'm not sure of the numbers bought for issue to the Iraqui military and police, but S&W also sold multiple thousands of semi-autos to the US military for the Iraquis. :)

waynedm

Maybe they're worried that the Rugers will just be too reliable in adverse conditions? We better just stick with guns with full-length frame/slide rails, they seem to handle sand and what not just fine. :D

.45 Vet

This pic was floating around the Ruger forum. I remember seeing some Service-Six revolvers in the debriefing hut at Bien Hoa. Most were Smith M&P's, but I think they were issue as all had a lanyard ring.

Attachments

• Rugers in Iraq.jpg
    Rugers in Iraq.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 283

liliysdad

Best I can tell, the 5k Rugers, and 5k Sigmas purchased where for the Afghani police force. The Iraqi's contracted Glocks and AKs of some sort. There are no issue sidearms in the military except that Beretta M9, the Sig M11, a select few 1911s sprinkled here and there, The Sig 226 in use by the SEALs, and the HK Mk23 in use by certain whiz bang outfits. there are no Glocks, no Rugers, no nothing else, no matter what the armchair commandos say.

TACOM is simply the weaponry and hardware purchasing arm of the Army.

JR47

TACOM is not the usual purchase agency for the Army. Unless, of course, you want to buy a tank or a truck.

There has also been at least one additional purchase of side-arms for the Iraqi police and military, as they will not be armed with Sigs, HKs, or the M9.

I agree, don't listen to armchair commandos, or people who's knowledge is at least 18 months out of date.

Oh, and several units have purchased different hand-guns for specific purposes with discretionary funds made available for just that purpose. The caliber has been usually 9mm and .45 ACP, to take advantage of logistics, but the unit armorers handle the upkeep. This isn't WWII, and we aren't reconstituting battalions that were chewed up by the enemy. Units remain pretty much in one AO, with little real movement.

Tom2

I thought I read that the Ruger 22 pistol in heavy barrel config. were purchased by the military for marksmanship training and matches. As I recall Ruger might have even been selling a civilian duplicate version of it playing on the angle that it was just like the mil. version, except for mil. markings. I also thought that mil. special ops had some 22's, maybe Hi Standards and Rugers, made up with suppressors for taking out sentry dogs or even sentries, at one time. Maybe this will jog someones memory?

Rimrod

Some military purchases are the result of extensive testing, others are to the lowest bidder. Just because a certain unit uses a particular firearm doesn't mean it's better than the rest, it may just have been cheaper.

JR47

The silenced Ruger Mk.II was known as the Amphibian, and was purpose-built for military contract. The replaced the older Ruger Mk.I and High Standard supressed weapons in SF. :)

STLRN

The Ruger pistols along with G19s and either Walther or SWs are issued to the IAs (Iraqi Army). What you do see though is units that don't have enough pistol to give one to each adviser assigned to IAs, often give the MiTTs (Military Transition Team) the same pistol as the IAs they train.

ESI Agent

Rugers are very durable/reliable semi's and I dont know why our military never went with either the P89 or P90. The Beretta is a good looking gun but cant match the Ruger P89 in durability. The P90 is an over built very durable workhorse that will do the same job all these high priced statis guns do but do it for less. The P90 was built for the 10mm but chambered for the 45 and it's accuracy can match higher priced statis guns.

kozak6

As I understand it, they just barely missed the trials with the P85 (which had some problems anyways).

They definitely would have been able to give the lowest bid, too.