Ruger P89

Waterengineer

I don't hear much about the Ruger Semi-Auto. Opinions about the 9mm please.

Decocker, or not?

Oh, ya I'm new here. Decided to sign up because of the quality of the help/information from others!

Thanks,

Craig

Lycanthrope

Extremely underrated in the reliability department. These guns feed everything in my experience.

Accuracy is OK and they are a bit large, but overall a good gun.

918v

I'd rather buy a police trade-in 5906 than any Ruger 9mm. Kinda like buying a used Chevy vs. a new Yugo.

Jkwas

My P89 has over 1000 rnds thru it with no misfires, ftf's, fte', nada one problemo. A nice range gun or home defense weapon. A little bulky for ccw. I have the manual safety model, but the DA trigger is long enough where you don't really need it. I would go de-cocker model. Shoots very accurate and the recoil is barely noticeable. Even my 12yr old son can shoot it well. It's probably over-built in terms of strength and you can strip it down in under 10 seconds for cleaning. It's lots of fun. BTW, where do you find those police trade-ins. I never get lucky enough to find that good used stuff! I always get stuck buying new.....:mad:

Abndoc

I like my p944. I did have one problem with it out of the box. I had failure to extract at least once with every magazine. Tried different ammo, with no luck. Turns out that my extractor was defective. Called Ruger and a new one was sent out, pronto, no questions asked. Good customer service.

JR47

Funny you should mention the S&W 59 series. They have the ergonomics of a 2x4 with a handle on them. Even worse than a Glock. They aren't a naturally pointing handgun. The PDs in the Northeast that had them soon went to other, more ergonomic, pistols. Mags are more expensive than a Ruger, as well.

People need to get away from the idea that a Police Trade-in has that "carried lots, shot little" idea. Current departments qualify semi-annualy, some quartely. The average is 125 rounds between day and night shooting. This presupposes that the officer qualifies on the first round, and that there hasn't been a change in department qualifications.

In the days of revolvers, it wasn't difficult for an officer to shoot only 25 rounds per year. Those days are gone. There is no guarantee that you won't be buying a trade-in from a SWAT member, who fired 500 rounds a month, for years.:eek:

If you do a search for the Ruger Autopistol on this Board, you'll find quite a few threads. Read them, and notice how many people have zero problems with their Ruger. You'll also find the same few who just don't like Rugers, and want you to just buy something else, anything else.:)

I have a P89 that I picked up, used, recently. Shooting the heck out of it. Great gun for the money. No failures of any kind. My particular specimen shoots quite accurately, too. Feeds bullets of all shapes. It's not a top-of-the-line gun, but at the price they are sold I think they are fantastic.

Ignore 918v. He doesn't like them for MANY reasons, yet he still bought one. I think that speaks volumes about his opinions.

Flashpoint

Like I said in another thread that you started. Ruger P89 was my first handgun. I ran over 2000 rounds through it before I traded for a Sig P239. Every time I pulled the trigger it went bang and shucked a shell. You'd go broke trying to wear one out. The problem is that they aren't very condusive to CCW, that's why I traded mine for the Sig.

markj

I have a p95 decocker, shoot 250 rounds a week thru it for the last year anda 1/2 with no problems whatsoever. I also have a taurus pt92 and a ruger gp100. At the range the p95 is everyones favorite thast shoots with me (from my 3). Lite and smaller than the 89, poly frame. 15 round mags, I have 6 mags total.

Mokumbear

Thumbs up...

I really like my new Ruger P89.

A couple of jams on the 1st two magazines fired but absolutely NO problems since then.

Solid gun, solid value, built in the USA.

Go for it! :cool:

Mosin44az

You mentioned the P89, consider the P95 as well, more compact and lighter but still easy to shoot, very comfortable with the hottest loads. Also has a light rail now.

Rugers may not be as stylish as some other brands, but they have superior reliability and durability and are backed by a company with a great service reputation despite the lack of a written warranty. I sold my P95 because my hand was a little small to reach the trigger easily, but it still might be the best overall pistol I have owned.

Like I said, the issue is whether you can easily reach the trigger without turning your hand on the grip.

As for safety/decocker, check to see how easy it is to move the safety, especially to turn it off safe if you have to fire. The Ruger safety has gotten some criticism in that regard. My decocker P95 had no problems, and shot over 3000 rounds of U.S. ammo without a malfunction. Didn't like Sellier & Bellot ammo, this was the only "flaw," and that was probably the Euro specs. of that brand.

Lycanthrope

Paper weights? I own several high end weapons and the P89 is the only thing that will run absolutely DRY. Do you have one?

Mosin44az

Cmu, your post is seriously short on facts.

I would be interested in whether: (1) you have owned a Ruger semi, purchased new; (2) you had functioning problems with it; (3) Ruger didn't solve them. I have never heard of all three happening to anyone.

Last edited:

Waterengineer

Thanks for the input

I want to thank everyone for the dialogue, information and input.

When I started the thread I purposefully asked an open-ended question to have the discussion be as wide ranging as possible.

More specifically, I handled and am now planning on purchaing a used P89, 9mm I recently found a one of Denver's "stand-alone, independantly-owned" gun shops.

I must say, I much prefer purchasing guns from the knowledgable gun shop owners than the folks that are hired to stand in the "big box" sporting goods stores.

I negotiated a price of $270, seems fair. I post a pic in the next couple of days.

Again, thanks for the help.

- Craig

Buzzard

I have a P96 and my father has a P89 and they are some of the most reliable handguns I have ever used, never a worry if I pull the trigger, it will go Bang...

Juna

They are reliable as heck, and I would hardly compare them to a Yugo. They're more like a Chevy truck (reliable and lasts forever). They feed everything and are built to withstand even +P+ ammo without a problem. Plus, they're American made, which is always a plus.

Down sides (in my opinion and experience).... They are pretty accurate (certainly as accurate as is necessary), but not as accurate as the CZ 75 (~$300 used, so similar in price), IMO. Size (a little blocky), but if that's not an issue for you (e.g. for concealed carry), then go for it. I think it's a great gun for the money. It will easily out-last you and probably your kids, too.

Rob96

Rugers do not have the flash appeal of others like Glock, HK, Sig and Beretta. I own or have owned all that I just mentioned. They are utterly reliable. The 9mm's have good combat accuracy. If I was in the market for an aluminum framed 9mm from Ruger, I would look to the P94.