Ruger New Vaquero vs Uberti El Patron

Lurch37

Let's say a guy, (me), wants to get a old west style revolver in the same caliber as his new lever gun, (357), and he just so happens to see 2 different models in the local sporting goods store. One is a shiny stainless Ruger New Vaquero and the other is a blued/case colored Uberti El Patron. Both have similar length barrels at 5.5 inches.

I have read reviews on both and I believe they both are good guns but wanted to ask your opinions as I have very little experience with this type of revolver. Other than the cosmetic differences, is the Ruger worth $200 more than the Uberti? I doubt I'll be shooting Cowboy Action or anything of the sort, so the gun will limited to casual plinking and the like.

44 AMP

Staff
.357 Magnum isn't one of the "old west" era cartridges anyway, so the question is how to balance cost, the looks you want, and performance.

The Uberti is a copy of the Colt SAA (1873/ Model P/ Peacemaker) same size, weight, balance and operating system. A "clone" if you will. IF you are not already familiar with the Colt system, you will need to be to operate the gun safely. The biggest thing about it is that it is NOT safe to carry with the hammer down over a live round.

The Ruger New Vaquero is the same size, weight (approx) and balance as the Colt, BUT it uses a different internal mechanism, and IS safe to carry loaded with six.

Both are fixed sight guns, so that's a wash. Stainless has advantages over blued, its not going to rust easily, and it tends not to show finish wear much.

The new model Ruger mechanism uses coil springs where the Colt system uses flat springs, and the Ruger has a transfer bar with a frame mounted firing pin. Colt (Uberti) the pin is on the hammer. Colt pattern guns require the hammer to be at half cock in order for the cylinder to turn for loading and unloading. The Ruger doesn't have a half cock position on the hammer, all it takes to free the cylinder is opening the loading gate.

If it matters to you, Ruger is a US company and still US owned. Ruger does not provide a written warranty, but DOES very seriously stand behind their guns, and will fix any issues, if you ever have any.

I've owned a New Vaquero (.45 Colt) and have had about a dozen or so Ruger SA revolvers over the last 40 years, from .22s to .45 Colt. Handled and shot various actual Colts, and numerous clones. I like the single action revolver style but I'm not an old west period correct fanatic, nor do I play the cowboy games.

If you can stand a single action that resembles but doesn't look just like a Colt on the outside, the best SA revolver for the price is the Ruger Blackhawk. The New Model Blackhawk frame is bigger than the Vaquero or Colt pattern guns. This adds a bit of heft some people appreicate when shooting magnum level loads.

It uses the new model lockwork (transfer bar, etc.) so its safe to carry with 6. For me, the biggest advantage of the Blackhawk over the Vaquero is that the Blackhawk has adjustable sights. For me, the ability to easily zero the gun for different loads and ranges, AND go back and forth between those setting with a few clicks of the sights matters more than the "traditional" fixed sight look.

IF you want a gun that replicates the original Colt as closely as possible, go with the Uberti.

If you want the best gun to carry and shoot, go with the Ruger.

44caliberkid

I own two Vaqueros and probably a dozen Uberti and Pietta Colt clones, plus two original Colt SAA’s. If you don’t care about old west authenticity, go with the Ruger. As 44AMP pointed out, it has a safer, easier to use, modern action and coil springs.
If you are a stickler for a genuine old west revolver, the El Patron is a good gun. Just remember to only load five with the hammer resting on an empty chamber. You might be happier spending the extra $200 for ammunition.

First, Ruger can't drill a proper sized hole in the cylinder. I have many Rugers and they all need reaming. If you plan on shooting only smokeless or some peppier loads buy a Ruger and a reamer.

If you shoot black powder you'll need to fully disassemble your pistol every cleaning. In that case the Uberti is better. Expect to break your hand spring and trigger bolt spring. They are cheap and easily replaced but they will break.

44caliberkid

“If you shoot black powder you'll need to fully disassemble your pistol every cleaning. In that case the Uberti is better. Expect to break your hand spring and trigger bolt spring. They are cheap and easily replaced but they will break.”

I’ve been shooting cap n ball and BP cartridge in CAS matches since 2000. I only use real BP and just clean the barrel and cylinder after a match. Even less of an issue with a stainless gun. I do use Big Lube bullets which keeps everything soft, just wipe off. I hear the spring breakage thing on forums but have never had it happen to me or seen anyone break down at a match with one, so I think that’s generally an old wives tale too.

Hawg

Uberti all the way. They do have retracting firing pins so you can load six with no problems. The firing pin can't contact the primers without the trigger being pulled.

105kw

I like Colt SAAs, but they are not as durable as a Ruger. I've broken a main spring on one, and needed a hand replace on another. 2 break downs in 40 years.
Saying that, buy the Ruger. They are a durable, accurate, and available in several variations.
I've never had a Ruger single action break.

44 AMP

Staff
First, Ruger can't drill a proper sized hole in the cylinder.

That has not been my experience. I've owned dozens of Rugers in the past 40 years, never had one that needed reaming. Not one.

Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe you're not? :rolleyes:

Lurch37

the best SA revolver for the price is the Ruger Blackhawk.

I never thought about the blackhawk, although I think I saw one at the same store that I'll have to take a look at. I have an old 3 screw blackhawk in 30 Carbine that I get out occasionally and yes it's nice to have adj. sights.

Uberti all the way. They do have retracting firing pins so you can load six with no problems. The firing pin can't contact the primers without the trigger being pulled.

I thought I read somewhere where the cylinder pin on some of these SAA clones pushes in further, thereby stopping the hammer from fully falling and acting as a safety?

44 AMP

Staff
thought I read somewhere where the cylinder pin on some of these SAA clones pushes in further, thereby stopping the hammer from fully falling and acting as a safety?

If I recall correctly I think it was Hammerli that did that. The name "Swiss Safe System" comes to mind, but I'm not certain.

I thought the Uberti was a direct Colt reproduction, but I don't have any and apparently am not current on the model under discussion. Regardless of if it is safe to carry with six, I still think the Ruger is the better gun, and, being a handloader who shoots a lot of different loads .38 and .357, the adjustable sights on the Blackhawk give me options not available with a fixed sight gun.

Personally, I don't compare Blackhawks against Redhawks, they are quite different critters, despite eating the same "food".

The old "three screw" Blackhawks operate the same way as the Colt to load and unload. New Model Blackhawks (which are marked "New Model" on the frame) use what I consider to be a superior system.

Hellcat1

To me shiny stainless beats any other finish on the planet.
I'm a big fan of stainless as well. One of my favorites is my Uberti, chambered in .45 Colt:

full

Frank

jackmoser65

The New Vaquero and any post war Colt or clone are going to be equal in strength. Which doesn't even matter in 357's. You have to decide if you really want a Colt style action or just something that resembles one. I prefer the half cock action and crisp trigger of the Colt. A stainless Colt clone would make a great truck gun.

Ruger is infamous for under sized or over sized 45 throats. Depending on vintage. Over sized throats and chambers are the major reason some have a 41 or 44 cylinder rechambered to minimum specs. I've had a number of them opened up or rechambered.

Bob Wright

In all fairness to the Italian made revolvers, newer models have a built in safety that does allow carrying the revolver fully loaded. (The revolver, not the carrier.)

The original Ubertis of 1975 had a sear actuated hammer block that worked very well. Wit the hammer in the safety notch, a T-shaped bar was pushed down impinged between the hammer face and frame.

Of late there is a shortened firing pin which remains retracted (though not fully) unless the trigger is pulled. I have no esperience with this, only what I've read.

The "Swiss Safe" Hammerli guns was effective but usless as a safety. This incorpprated an extra long base pin with a two position notches. When pushed back to the safe position, the base pin did block the hammer. But totally useless as a carry safety.

Bob Wright

Bob Wright

As to my personal opinion, a stainless Vaquero is plain ugly. I'd much prefer the case colored/blued revolver. Or, better yet: A Blackhawk, blue, and sent to Doug Turnbull:

Bob Wright

44 AMP

Staff
Ruger is infamous for under sized or over sized 45 throats.

It is, on the internet. I don't recall hearing or reading about Ruger having that problem before the Internet age. Maybe they didn't have the problem back then?? I got my first Ruger .45 in 83. I've had 8 Ruger .45s since then, Blackhawks, Vaqueros and New Vaquero, never had any issues with any of them. Never even thought to check the chamber throats until I read some crap about them on the Internet, and then, decided not to bother since my guns shot fine the way they were.

Did do a bit of "research" and found some people who had been gunsmiths /shop owners back in the day, and heard from them that Colt had chamber mouth issues in (some of) their SAA .45s when they resumed production after WWII and it continued for a while in the 50s.

Seems that back then, when there was an issue, the usual thing wasn't to ream the cylinder, but to shoot differently sized bullets. A typical example, was a guy bringing in a gun that wouldn't shoot well (shooting .452" bullets) and the smith telling him to shoot .454" and the gun turning out to be quite accurate with them. Different times it seems....

As to my personal opinion, a stainless Vaquero is plain ugly.

Your personal opinion is as valid for you as mine is for me, and the next guy's for him. Some folks value looks more than others, some value feel, and some value performance most.

Some folks even go by just the price. I reckon that's why we own different guns, drive different cars, eat different foods and marry different women...:rolleyes:

Personally I don't mind stainless or nickel finished guns, but I'm not crazy about them. Nor am I the traditionalist who thinks case colors and wood grips are requirements for my SA revolvers. Don't mind having them, not paying extra to get them. Plain blue is good enough for me, I don't even care for high polish. But, that's just me. Other people like other things and I'm glad we have so many options available.

Just because they are choices I wouldn't make doesn't mean they're wrong choices for someone else. Unless, of course, they turn out to be...:rolleyes:

Fellow I knew got a Ruger .44 Magnum SA at a gun show, gun was "pretty", and had been extensively reworked by someone who had skill, the work was well done. Barrel & rod shortened considerable, fitted with a birds head grip frame. Nice looking black wood stocks.

My friend had very short thumbs and was convinced he needed the hammer spur moved, modified the grip frame to take the Bisley hammer.

Gun looked nice. But I didn't think it a practical .44 Mag. My friend hit me up for some ammo, the lightest stuff I had was 240 SWC over 10gr Unique. Gave him a box.

Week later he tells me how much pain he got shooting that gun, and swore he's NEVER putting magnum ammo in it!! I suggested trying .44 Special. He moved away shortly afterwards, never found out if .44 Specials did it for him, or not.

Point here, guy got the gun on its looks, and learned its performance was simply something he couldn't manage. Everybody's different.

Drm50

I’m not a fan of the New Model Blackhawk series from Ruger. Having said that the old model 3 screw BHs are probably the best SAs ever built. Functionally better than a Colt
SAA. They are a bit chunky but very shootable. The Spaghetti guns not even in same league with Colt or Ruger.
There are a few outfits that have made a business out of refining the old Ruger design. Also guys want the Spagetti guns because they don’t want to pay for Colts. I don’t deal in Repros but from what I’ve noticed they are about same price as Ruger BH. No brainer for one who is looking for a quality shooter.

L-2

Post 1 didn't ask, but someone here mentioned stainless steel and price ($3K range).
I then thought of Freedom Arms, if that might be something of interest to the OP.
https://www.freedomarms.com

I suppose I'd consider the Model 97 product line for its stated warranty coverage.

Lurch37

Both the Ruger and the Uberti seem like well built handguns and would serve my needs right now as a casual plinker. Perhaps, having had a few different Rugers through the years, I am leaning their way simply because of what I deem to be its ruggedness, and it's appearance. If the Uberti was stainless it would make it easier to compare, although the finish of said Uberti is very nice.

From what I've read here and in online reviews, either would make a good choice, with the Ruger possibly having a slight edge in trade/resale value if a guy was to trade up or something of the like.