Ruger Mini 14 questions

icedog88

I have a friend who wants to sell me his Mini stainless. He says it is a pre-ban GB. Any way to verify this? As well, I would want to purchase stainless mags, a silver heat shield and butt plate. Know where I can get these? Midway, Brownell's, and Cheaper than Dirt didn't pan out. Thanks.

Darth AkSarBen

Does it have a screw on flash suppressor? How about a bayonet lug? It was reported that the GB also had a faster twist in the rifliing and gave better accuracy.

TriumphGuy

Stainless mags that work well might be a bit hard to find. Not sure about the heat shield.

If you do manage to find all of those goodies, you'll need to make sure to find an old GMC van and some cigars to go with them. :D

icedog88

Nothing wrong with livin the dream of being B.A.!:D Of course, I HIT my targets :cool:
Saw some nickel mags from ProMag, but I hear they are junk.

TriumphGuy

but I hear they are junk.

That's the problem with Mini-14 mags. About the only ones guaranteed to work are the Ruger factory mags. I don't think you can get those in stainless.

Maybe buy a few of them to use as shooters at the range and one crappy ProMag for when it goes in the display case?

Crow Hunter

If it is just for looks, get a factory ruger mag and paint it silver.

Factory mags always work better.

With my very minor experience with Mini-14s all of the non factory mags required "adjustments", to make them work. And they didn't always stay "adjusted".

stu925

You can check year of manufacture at http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html# that will tell you if it's pre ban or not. I've never seen a silver/stainless upper handguard or butt plate, you could try painting the factory one if you're really interested in it. Buy one of the stainless pro mags and see if it'll work, if it works buy a few more. I think every rifle is a bit different when it comes to after market mags, some will function, some won't.

Stu

icedog88

Ruger.jpg

There she is! Still have to test the mag but it appears to be low quality. National Magazines. Never used one before so we'll see.

I suggest you keep the gun in factory condition and spend your ducats and soldi on good magazines. Preserving the gun as is helps you later if you decide to sell or swap it.

icedog88

I bought a spare handguard to paint, which is what is on it now, and also a 30 round Ruger mag. It came with 5 20 rounders. The rifle as shown is the closest I could come to my A-Team fantasy without stock swap :D.

By the way, I did look at the aftermarket mag,took it apart, and boy, what a difference!

kraigwy

I'm not a Mini owners, but from what I've seen, the stainless versions have black stocks (and handguards if I remember right).

I think the non stainless Ruger mags would go with the black stock to add contrass and in my opinion better looking.

But I'm a big fan of reliability. I'd use the magazine that works the best, I don't care if its PINK.

The trash can I throw bumb magazines in, don't care what colar they are.

icedog88

I don't know. I think it looks pretty good like this. This was the only off brand mag I have bought for any gun. Pretty much just for looks and if it works, great! If not, no big deal. Like I said, I have 5 20 rnd and 1 30 rnd Ruger mags. :)

Since A-Team was mentioned, I do not know if their guns were originally equipped with folding stocks or retro-fitted with them. There is a difference in the sling swivel and folding stock GBs had the front sling swivel mounted on the side and not the bottom as fixed stock GBs had.

stu925

Since A-Team was mentioned, I do not know if their guns were originally equipped with folding stocks or retro-fitted with them. There is a difference in the sling swivel and folding stock GBs had the front sling swivel mounted on the side and not the bottom as fixed stock GBs had.
They were factory folder AC556s, not actually Mini-14s. The AC556 was the full auto version of the Mini-14. They are still out there and last I heard Ruger was still supporting owners for warranty work. The AC556 also is one of the less expensive full auto guns from what I have seen.

For all things Mini-14 check out: http://www.perfectunion.com/vb/

Charlie6.org is another forum catering to the Mini-14 but may have gone belly up in the last week, site has been down for days for me

There are several accuracy mods out there for the Mini-14 so if it doesn't shoot real well right away, don't give up on it. Nice looking rifle have fun with it.

Stu